EDC folding knives

Something in this thread prompted my memory, and I realized I've been carrying 1550ST since at least 2008, because I remember it making an appearance in my wedding photos :laughing:
1701269778770.png

Some of y’all are too anxious to pay too much for an EDC in my book.

I put a value of $40-$50 max on an EDC. I see no need to to risk something more than that. I own $200+ pocket knives, but fuck that on EDC. All it needs to be is sharp for a day. I can make it to the end of the day if something was to happen. But how many of you have had a $10 pocket knife completely fail to the point of uselessness for a day?

I personally have nothing to prove by carting a $100+ pocket knife as an EDC.

the utilitarian in me says: whats the point of owning a knife if it cant be EDC? Like whats the point of owning a golden 1911 at 4x the price point?
(sans collector hobbies etc)

Something in this thread prompted my memory, and I realized I've been carrying 1550ST since at least 2008, because I remember it making an appearance in my wedding photos :laughing:
View attachment 407854
I was wearing my Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder when I was baptized back in 2012. :)

It's rated for Werewolves and Vampires now.

the utilitarian in me says: whats the point of owning a knife if it cant be EDC? Like whats the point of owning a golden 1911 at 4x the price point?
(sans collector hobbies etc)
That's why I feel bad about dropping as much as I did on that Skallywag Guardian dagger.

I got it on sale, but still... I'll probably never carry it unless it's TEOTWAWKI. So what's the point of having?

I was wearing my Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder when I was baptized back in 2012. :)

It's rated for Werewolves and Vampires now.
I HAD one of those knives, but somebody needed it more than me and it grew legs.

I save up and get a dozen at a time! Always sharp and I don't care if it gets lost.

What the heck are you guys having to cut every damn day?

Exactly. Once a year i buy a half dozen or so $20 knives. some i really liked and some were eh. if i didnt lose one for a long enough time id sharpen it in less than 5 min in the kitchen. If i need to slice a square out of cardboard on the concrete garage floor, I dont think twice about it. If i want to dig mortar out around a brick, boom its done.

My favourite is when I have a checked bag to the UK and I get to check my pocket knife and take it with me. Then at dinner with English colleagues I'll pull the knife out and cut my steak. the looks on their faces is priceless. :D
Damn Americans! :D

Hah. My knife makes an appearance in my wedding photos too.

Question- why do y'all carry flashlights when your phone has one built in? (I have the same question about watches but we aren't talking about those... yet)
Haha, clearly you haven't tried it yet. (and/or also are not "old" yet)

I used to make fun of my dad taking his double A Maglite everywhere when I was a kid. Then when I worked in manufacturing, we were issued a few things by default, and one of them was a Streamlight Penlight. At first I would use it rarely, then I used it regularly, and started carrying it with me. The 2 AAA version Penlight started wearing a hole in my pants pocket, so I added the single AAA Microstream version to the shop inventory, and it lays in so nicely beside my pocketknife that you don't even know it's there. I've been through probably 2 dozen, mostly in busted rear rubber caps, or pocketclips getting too bent to repair or snatched off without me knowing. I might have had 1 switch failure in all of those. All that to say that once you get used to have a real flashlight in your pocket, the phone flashlight is laughable. Takes too long to deploy, almost impossible to manipulate the light pattern and brightness (I do this all the time by wrapping my fingers around it and using my pinky to manipulate the orifice (yes she did)), and the light isn't nearly as good. Plus when I have to fly, I can still have my flashlight, so it gives me a certain level of comfort have a thing in my pocket instead of feeling totally naked.

A few years ago, they came out with the Microstream USB, which is brighter, has a low and high mode, and is rechargeable, so I switched over to that. It's about 1/4-3/8" longer, but still lays in beside the knife just the same, and is great because I never have to change batteries. A charge lasts 1-2 weeks with my regular usage.

Once you have a "real" flashlight in your pocket that you can pull out in a half second to read a label or look for that funny noise under your vehicle or flash quickly to get your wifes attention from across a store, you get accustomed to it and use it even more. I bet I use the flashlight ten times more than the pocketknife in a regular day. Plus the wife and kids are always asking to borrow it, haha.

Haha, clearly you haven't tried it yet. (and/or also are not "old" yet)

I used to make fun of my dad taking his double A Maglite everywhere when I was a kid. Then when I worked in manufacturing, we were issued a few things by default, and one of them was a Streamlight Penlight. At first I would use it rarely, then I used it regularly, and started carrying it with me. The 2 AAA version Penlight started wearing a hole in my pants pocket, so I added the single AAA Microstream version to the shop inventory, and it lays in so nicely beside my pocketknife that you don't even know it's there. I've been through probably 2 dozen, mostly in busted rear rubber caps, or pocketclips getting too bent to repair or snatched off without me knowing. I might have had 1 switch failure in all of those. All that to say that once you get used to have a real flashlight in your pocket, the phone flashlight is laughable. Takes too long to deploy, almost impossible to manipulate the light pattern and brightness (I do this all the time by wrapping my fingers around it and using my pinky to manipulate the orifice (yes she did)), and the light isn't nearly as good. Plus when I have to fly, I can still have my flashlight, so it gives me a certain level of comfort have a thing in my pocket instead of feeling totally naked.

A few years ago, they came out with the Microstream USB, which is brighter, has a low and high mode, and is rechargeable, so I switched over to that. It's about 1/4-3/8" longer, but still lays in beside the knife just the same, and is great because I never have to change batteries. A charge lasts 1-2 weeks with my regular usage.

Once you have a "real" flashlight in your pocket that you can pull out in a half second to read a label or look for that funny noise under your vehicle or flash quickly to get your wifes attention from across a store, you get accustomed to it and use it even more. I bet I use the flashlight ten times more than the pocketknife in a regular day. Plus the wife and kids are always asking to borrow it, haha.

If you can get used to the size, you ought to look into the Macrostream. Its like carrying a roll of nickels around all the time but its much brighter than the micro.

If you can get used to the size, you ought to look into the Macrostream. Its like carrying a roll of nickels around all the time but its much brighter than the micro.
I saw that when I was making my Christmas list this year, but its twice as expensive, and I seem to lose about 1 a year. I can stomach that with a $30 flashlight, but not a $60 flashlight. Plus the size would probably get on my nerves. I have an Olight I5R that I tried carrying for a while, but it was just way too much. I got them big gurl hips that stick out a lot already, so anything bigger than the knife just adds to it.

Hell I have had to go all the way up to the strion…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 35
unfortunately I use my phone's light a lot :(
Get a $20 Microstream (or be a high-rolla and get the Microstream USB for $30) from Amazon and just carry it for a week or two. If you don't like it, send it back.

I saw that when I was making my Christmas list this year, but its twice as expensive, and I seem to lose about 1 a year. I can stomach that with a $30 flashlight, but not a $60 flashlight. Plus the size would probably get on my nerves. I have an Olight I5R that I tried carrying for a while, but it was just way too much. I got them big gurl hips that stick out a lot already, so anything bigger than the knife just adds to it.

Your overlooking the versatility of carpenter jeans. That's what them small pockets are for.

I switched from folders to fixed blade a while back. Got tired of replacing them.

I don’t have one EDC blade. I usually decide which one to strap on depending on what I’m doing that day. Closest thing to an EDC is what I call my “dress knife”. It’s a custom 4 1/2” general purpose knife In a handmade leather sheath. Visually it’s appropriate to wear just about anywhere.

If I’m out in the woods I’m usually carrying my 7” Kabar utility or my Becker BK2.

If I’m working I carry a $20 Gerber fixed blade that I don’t even know the name of. But it’s about 7 years old and I’ve beat the hell out it.

If I wear shorts (a rarity in itself) I do have a folding crkt m16 that I carry in a nylon mini mag flashlight pouch. I’ve found that saves wear and tear on both the knife clip and the pockets of my shorts. It also keeps the clip from poking holes in car seats and leather chairs.

Not carrying the folder as an EDC has significantly extended its life.

I own too many knives but I’ve been carrying this one the most this yr. I REALLY like this one and would love to have a few more but I can’t find it through any online search. Wife actually found it on the ground around our pond, likely from someone trespassiView attachment 407592
Schrade Extreme survival Desert Tanto. Walmart distributed those but it’s been discontinued. eBay is about the only place you’re gonna find it now. Maybe some flea market booths.

Hah. My knife makes an appearance in my wedding photos too.

Question- why do y'all carry flashlights when your phone has one built in? (I have the same question about watches but we aren't talking about those... yet)
Similar to what @jeepinmatt said, a EDC light has more throw and practical application than the light on my phone. I have been on my phone while using my flashlight on multiple occasions. Also, if you CCW you should practice using a light with your pistol. You can't do that with a phone. Finally, your phone is your primary communications device. Compromising it's limited battery for a light source is not a good strategy.

The Streamlight Microstream can also be easily clipped to the bill of your hat for hands free operation.

For me EDC = Phone with over 50% charge, Knife, Light, Glock, watch, and lighter.

I switched from folders to fixed blade a while back. Got tired of replacing them.

I don’t have one EDC blade. I usually decide which one to strap on depending on what I’m doing that day. Closest thing to an EDC is what I call my “dress knife”. It’s a custom 4 1/2” general purpose knife In a handmade leather sheath. Visually it’s appropriate to wear just about anywhere.

If I’m out in the woods I’m usually carrying my 7” Kabar utility or my Becker BK2.

If I’m working I carry a $20 Gerber fixed blade that I don’t even know the name of. But it’s about 7 years old and I’ve beat the hell out it.

If I wear shorts (a rarity in itself) I do have a folding crkt m16 that I carry in a nylon mini mag flashlight pouch. I’ve found that saves wear and tear on both the knife clip and the pockets of my shorts. It also keeps the clip from poking holes in car seats and leather chairs.

Not carrying the folder as an EDC has significantly extended its life.
How do you carry? On belt perpendicular? I've seen some parallel. I've been considering a fixed blade with all this discussion, even thinking about a fixed boot knife. So many I looked at are Tactical and not utility. I'm hoping to find a smallish utility fixed blade that is less than 6". Since I'm iised to carrying a folder in my pocket.

Also, if you CCW you should practice using a light with your pistol. You can't do that with a phone. Finally, your phone is your primary communications device. Compromising it's limited battery for a light source is not a good strategy.
All good points.

There is a range in Wilkesboro that we used to do a night shoot once a year after the time change, I don't know if they do it anymore. But it was pretty eye opening to see how much you suck at night shooting.

I like a good pocket light and something sharp. Chinese or higher end of either it doesn't matter. Some folks knew I liked knives so I received most as gifts. I also have three generations of old timers on my father's side.
I have a few larger fixed blades by Buck and Case.
Gerber, Kershaw, Spiderco and a whole host of odd ball stuff. I lost a folder Buck I found in a stream trout fishing and a three blade Tree Brand German folder. Both was free and I liked them as much or more than any other.
Not picky...the stuff I fumble through on the regular.....
IMG_20231129_202817871.jpg
IMG_20231129_202824921.jpg
IMG_20231129_202831616.jpgthe rest are locked away or in various "bags" and gear.
The cheaper stuff was collected by my father. He acquired many because it was often a sales man or company he did business with method of saying thanks or hello.

Back