dirty 30 axles for a toyota

varner32492

Go big or go home
has any one on here try the dirty 30 axles by trail gear out and had any luck out of them i looking at doing a sas to a 89 toyota but i wonted to go ahead and build the axles first any info on this is welcome thank u

Spend the little extra and get Longs. Call both companies and ask a few simple questions. When you call longfield guess who you get on the phone....Bobby or his wife. They are the best at warranty and any other questions as anybody in the offroad market.

v8 pickup here on the forums put a set in his runner and totally beat the heck out of them,broke a hub in papa gulch and never had any issues so far with the dirty 30's,
i also bought a set but yet to try them out,Chase @ east coast gear had them at my door in less than 24hrs.
they do not have any grease in the birf,longs i believe do

thanks yall i have to git my truck back on the road befor i start a sas but i was trying to find out what i was looking at cost wize in the front axle

I'm with snappy. I prefer to keep my money in the states but thats just me. A warranty does a lot of good when your broke down in the middle of nowhere. Not saying they'll break but if they are built with the same quality as other Trail Gear products I've seen in the past than I wouldn't even consider it. Just my .02

I've had awsome customer service with Longfield.......not so much with Trail gear. Thier full hydro kits suck and they have been getting pretty crappy on the customer service end.

not so much with Trail gear. Thier full hydro kits suck and they have been getting pretty crappy on the customer service end.

Care to elaborate? What makes you say their kit sucks (not to mention, what does it have anything to do with the Dirty 30s). Are you using it or just jumping on the "Trail-Gear Sucks" bandwagon that a lot of others jump on?

I have never had any issue with ANY of my trail-gear parts. Nor have I ever had any issues getting any of them on the phone.

thanks yall i think for the little extra money i will go with the longs im just looking at sas kits and and all the stuff i need to do a sas and its adding up fast i guess i will just have to start buying it a littile at a time :rolleyes:

91oneton put the TG full hydro on a customer's rig. Needless to say it had a PSC kit on it a week later.
Form pirate....

A buddy of mine got all the Trail Gear stuff......a week later he had all PSC stuff. In short the Trail Gear full hydro is the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen. The first thing I noticed was that the steering valve had not one marking on it to show the brand or anything. Some of the things it did(or didn't do) was when you turn the axle to full lock the steering wheel would keep on spinning.:shaking: Then if you had it at full lock and stomped on the gas the tires would straighten out. He got some vid. of all that I'll try to get it up later. On top of that when he called Trail Gear to see what the deal was they said it was supposed to do that.:eek: Needless to say all that crap got boxed back up and sent it back and a PSC kit was on a week later and it works flawlessly. I have the same PSC kit on mine and I couldn't be happier. IMO steer clear of TG. Chinese junk!

Maybe he will elaborate more.

91oneton put the TG full hydro on a customer's rig. Needless to say it had a PSC kit on it a week later.
Form pirate....
Maybe he will elaborate more.

That sounds like it was a problem with a single kit. I've seen the tg hydro kit on several rigs (some of which were trail gear rigs themselves) and none of them did that. I don't know why they would tell you it was supposed to do that, but you can't say that they didn't take it back...I bet they took it back without much fuss. If anyone ever has any issue with tg stuff call over and ask for Gary or Jon. They will both help you and make sure you are satisfied.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all for fair consumer reporting but I cant stand bandwagon haters which trail gear has a lot of for no REAL reason. The "reason" most give has to do with a guy that doesn't even have involvement in the company anymore. The other reason of "keep it in America" is a fair one...but dont forget you are driving a japanese vehicle...how "American" is that? Most of the parts on these vehicle are made overseas, its 2010...thats business. Matt and the guys over there are friends of mine and just like everyone does...I try to fairly defend friends.

its been almost 6 weeks and they have not retuned my money. and the products look like they came from a traveling tool sale. thats just my personal expierence.

I ordered the knuckle rebuild kit from TG last year. It came in, I opened the box, took a look at the king pin bearings, then quickly closed said box and shipped back to TG. The bearings reminded me of governement peanut butter. White box with "Bearings" in black letters. No markings on the bearings and they were half the weight of Koyo bearings. Had to pay for shipping back to TG and a 15% restock fee. I ordered the Marlin rebuild kit the next week which actually comes with quality Japanese bearings. I learned my lesson...I tried to save a few bucks and it ended up costing me a lot more but still less than if I would have installed the kit.

I will never buy another TG product and I'm not on the "bandwagon"; I wasted money on their products once but it will not happen again.

its been almost 6 weeks and they have not retuned my money. and the products look like they came from a traveling tool sale. thats just my personal expierence.

Who all have you spoken to over there? PM me. I may be able to help you.

guys, dont get me wrong. Im not saying that their stuff is the highest quality out there. But you arent paying highest quality prices, either.

I dont buy their tcase stuff...i go to Marlin for that (bc he builds the best). I dont buy their dirty 30s....i go to longfield (bc he builds the best). They dont build the best of the best when it comes to complex parts (and certainly dont claim to either, nor do they charge a price that reflects them building super high quailty stuff), but their "fabrication" parts (shock mounts, link mounts, joints, diff covers, etc etc) are just as good as everyone elses, and cheaper...what makes Marlins diff cover better than trail gears...nothing? I have run their axle rebuild kits in my truck for 2 rough years with no maintenance and NEVER had an issue (and know of LOTS of people that do the same with no issues).

guys, dont get me wrong. Im not saying that their stuff is the highest quality out there. But you arent paying highest quality prices, either.
I dont buy their tcase stuff...i go to Marlin for that (bc he builds the best). I dont buy their dirty 30s....i go to longfield (bc he builds the best). They dont build the best of the best when it comes to complex parts (and certainly dont claim to either, nor do they charge a price that reflects them building super high quailty stuff), but their "fabrication" parts (shock mounts, link mounts, joints, diff covers, etc etc) are just as good as everyone elses, and cheaper...what makes Marlins diff cover better than trail gears...nothing? I have run their axle rebuild kits in my truck for 2 rough years with no maintenance and NEVER had an issue (and know of LOTS of people that do the same with no issues).

So it's not a "bandwagon". It's a bus that has "99% of Trail Gear Products are Inferior to Their Competition" written on the side of it or at least that is the way I am reading your post.

I don't buy anything from TG so I don't have tp keep up with my "what is OK to buy from TG" decoder ring.

No. The badwagon is people that have no business saying something sucks. The people that have bought a $25 diff cover from them and then think they can sit here and say that "Everything from trail gear sucks". People that cant build a ham sandwich but can sit on the internet and talk about build quality. (which im not directing at you, so dont think I am)

Prove to me that 99% of everything they make is inferior. Prove it in cold hard facts and not "i saw one time someone say that it sucks and broke." If anything, for the sake of getting some Tech on this board.

If you cant (which im betting is the case) you are on the bandwagon.

Is your rig consisted of the best parts money can buy? Im betting its not...so you are still using an inferior part to someone. Why doesnt THAT part suck? Why didnt you buy the best?

No. The badwagon is people that have no business saying something sucks. The people that have bought a $25 diff cover from them and then think they can sit here and say that "Everything from trail gear sucks". People that cant build a ham sandwich but can sit on the internet and talk about build quality. (which im not directing at you, so dont think I am)
Prove to me that 99% of everything they make is inferior. Prove it in cold hard facts and not "i saw one time someone say that it sucks and broke." If anything, for the sake of getting some Tech on this board.
If you cant (which im betting is the case) you are on the bandwagon.
Is your rig consisted of the best parts money can buy? Im betting its not...so you are still using an inferior part to someone. Why doesnt THAT part suck? Why didnt you buy the best?

Why do I need to prove the 99% deal when you basically said it already?

I'm not on the bandwagon, I have purchased something from TG and it was junk; therefore I speak from experience.

Parts on my rig:
Marlin Dual cases w/ Bud Built crossmember
Allprooffraod SAS kit
Trail Ready Aluminum Beadlocks
Detroit Rear locker
ARB front locker
Precision Gear 5.29 R&P ft/rr w/ high pinion front
30 spline longs

I'm not bragging by any stretch, but in my opinion, I used the best products.

Question: How many shims did you have to use with those TG knuckle bearings? They should send a stack of nickels for shims in my opinion.

Why do I need to prove the 99% deal when you basically said it already?
I'm not on the bandwagon, I have purchased something from TG and it was junk; therefore I speak from experience.
Parts on my rig:
Marlin Dual cases w/ Bud Built crossmember
Allprooffraod SAS kit
Trail Ready Aluminum Beadlocks
Detroit Rear locker
ARB front locker
Precision Gear 5.29 R&P ft/rr w/ high pinion front
30 spline longs
I'm not bragging by any stretch, but in my opinion, I used the best products.
Question: How many shims did you have to use with those TG knuckle bearings? They should send a stack of nickels for shims in my opinion.

You bought one thing. A box of parts that they dont even make and all of the sudden everything they make, touch, sell, and own is shit?

I never said 99% of their parts were inferior, that is a gross exaggeration. A lot of their parts are fabrication style parts anyway. How can a piece of 1/4" steel suck more from one person than another. Marlin's diff cover is no better than trail gears. FACT. Marlins spring hangar is no better than trail-gears. FACT. I can go on with hundreds of parts that they make and sell...

You want me to be honest on the shims? I didnt ever calculate or care. I put one or two in there (whatever came out when i pulled off the stock arms) and never messed with it. It wheeled, drove, got beat on, slammed, rolled, crashed, jumped (all with 40s)...and NEVER had a bearing failure. Ask anyone who has ever wheeled with me. Im not nice to my vehicles. I had alot of Trail-Gear parts on mine (as well as alot of Marlin parts, longfield parts, FROR parts, etc etc). I havent had many failures out of many parts on my truck at all acutally.

idk about all this high end stuff yall i dont have big money to spend on a trail rig but i do know u dont have to have all the best money can buy i have a truck all my budes and me built home made 13" lift 10bolt front with 3.08s 12bolt rear welded with 3.08s 4.3 v6 bolted to a 700r4 to a np208 it has 36" tsl's home made cross over steering and i have beat that thing to death and no big problems i can drive right over kodak rock with no problems all i make it look super easy in the blazer i can run right up dainle with out any problems we built that truck for so littel most of yall would sack how did u build it that cheap but i will run with 12,000.00 rigs all day long so im saying im not looking to buy the the tuffest stuff money can buy i need what can git me by for now and thank yall all for yalls help

idk about all this high end stuff yall i dont have big money to spend on a trail rig but i do know u dont have to have all the best money can buy i have a truck all my budes and me built home made 13" lift 10bolt front with 3.08s 12bolt rear welded with 3.08s 4.3 v6 bolted to a 700r4 to a np208 it has 36" tsl's home made cross over steering and i have beat that thing to death and no big problems i can drive right over kodak rock with no problems all i make it look super easy in the blazer i can run right up dainle with out any problems we built that truck for so littel most of yall would sack how did u build it that cheap but i will run with 12,000.00 rigs all day long so im saying im not looking to buy the the tuffest stuff money can buy i need what can git me by for now and thank yall all for yalls help

What?:confused:

I have another pile of TG parts sitting at ECGS waiting for me. Before I decided on purchasing a set of the Dirty30s (and 4.7 gears) I asked Chase how he would handle any warranty stuff. He said "IF you break them I will warranty them."

I think you have to decided if the parts your buying fit the use your planning on. I think people have pushed the envelope so far with tire sizes and level of wheeling that those few people who probably DO need the absolute best part available complain about a failure, and make it seem like a blanket issue. As with any manufactured parts (hell even cars) the dealer/retailer can make all the difference in the world in your level of satisfaction.

I had a pump issue installing a pulley on the TG full hydro TC pump. I dropped it on the floor and the back nub blew out. I decided to call TG directly to see what could be done, they offered to sell me a new one. I opted to call PSC and talked to Kelvin. He asked which pump it was, then informed me that THEY make/build that particular pump for TG. They said the nub popping off (the thrust plate) happens a lot and offered to repair it for a reasonable price. I opted to just save the $ on the repair cost + shipping and just bought a new pump from them. (I figured a 2nd pump as a spare couldn't hurt)

Chase then told me he would have taken care of it. (How cool was that !!!) but I really didn't want him to eat an issue that was clearly my fault.

Point being..... Yes TG might not understand what customer service is, but their vendors/resellers DO.

Personally I like the features of the TG rams. Maybe they just have a better web site and depict their items better. But I can research the stuff and order it from a local shop.

exactly. I read a thread a while ago on another board about a comp guy breaking a set of high steer arms and studs (that he hadnt touched since he installed them 3 years prior) after smashing into a rock while hauling ass. Within minutes there were several people talking about how shitty TG was and how their parts are junk and they were all about ready to light some torches and get some pitchforks and go to Fresno. That's BS.

Those guys build decent and cost effective parts...when people break them while wheeling hard they complain and act like it was TG's fault they smashed into that tree going 30 mph. Somehow people dont complain when they break longfields smashing into that same tree...

exactly. I read a thread a while ago on another board about a comp guy breaking a set of high steer arms and studs (that he hadnt touched since he installed them 3 years prior) after smashing into a rock while hauling ass. Within minutes there were several people talking about how shitty TG was and how their parts are junk and they were all about ready to light some torches and get some pitchforks and go to Fresno. That's BS.
Those guys build decent and cost effective parts...when people break them while wheeling hard they complain and act like it was TG's fault they smashed into that tree going 30 mph. Somehow people dont complain when they break longfields smashing into that same tree...

Longfields > Trees > Dirty 30's

Simple math really.

Back