D-6

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by MetalCraftSolved, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MetalCraftSolved

MetalCraftSolved New Member

I had the rear tires sitting too far out from center. I apologize for letting everyone think that the front tires moved in so much at bump. Although the explanation still holds true. Just not that drastic.

Here you can see the D-6 at ride height.

static1.jpg

static2.jpg

static3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. MetalCraftSolved

Looks like the bottom of the chassis is going to get narrowed some width wise.

3. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

So any pictures of said parts? Any construction started or still just dreaming?

77GreenMachine likes this.
  4. McCracken

McCracken Logan Can't See This

This ought to get fun :popcorn:

77GreenMachine likes this.
  5. MetalCraftSolved

Did some work on the front shock placement, and the lower control arm bushings. I chose to use a bushing style attachment at the chassis for my lower control arms, and a trophy truck uni-ball cups out on the knuckle ends. All this shock placement gives me a concrete idea of how my control arms are going to be shaped.

shock placement 1.jpg

shock placement 2.jpg

shock placement 3.jpg

shock placement 4.jpg

108833794_1650718108436715_6853649153889952743_o.jpg

108952923_1650727158435810_2239704001732458313_o.jpg

109284975_1650717808436745_2783730730944528647_o.jpg

shock placement 5.jpg

6. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Member

So why low pinion front and high pinion rear?

7. MetalCraftSolved

Ground clearance in the rear. The front pinion doesn't ever move, but I've already noticed that if it were any higher I would have a pile of trouble getting the headers to fit under the front side of the oil pan. I feel like I'm pretty limited on where the driver side headers can be routed. The front diff is confined in a space where nothing can get to it anyway.

Monkeynono likes this.
  8. mcconnell

mcconnell Well-Known Member

Whats the plan for engine removal? I assume it will have a full belly down to the LCA mounts, bulkhead/shock mounts right in front of the balancer, and dash tube on top of the engine.

MetalCraftSolved likes this.
  9. MetalCraftSolved

Leaning towards constructing a laser cut subframe that holds the engine, transmission, and the transfer case together as one unit. Right now in my imagination, that subframe bolts to the floor, on some sort of 4 point bushing system.

So in theory, right now what I would like to do is roll an engine hoist in the passenger door. Pick up the weight of the whole drivetrain. Roll it back some where the front of the engine is behind the a-pillar, and wiggle the whole thing out.

If I do it this way I will have to unhook the drive shafts at the transfer case. Pull the transmission lines and the fuel line. Unhook the computer and the 12 volt to the starter, and I may be able to pull the whole thing out and set it on the floor with the exhaust still bolted on.

I may be able to fabricate all of the transfer case shifting linkage on to the drivetrain subframe as well.

10. Ron

Ron Dum Spiro Spero Moderator

So tell us what we are looking at.

Big picture. We will get to the details later.

Is this an idea you have that you plan to build?
    Is this someone else's idea you like?
    Is this something you have already built?
    If so where can we see it?

Etc...slow down my man...and communicate what you are sharing.

tkeaton likes this.
  11. MetalCraftSolved

I think I'll put the transmission shifter on the sub frame too.

12. Brownsxj

Brownsxj Well-Known Member

All I can say is bend up some tube and wrap your mind around that to get a good prototype idea. It’s a biggg motor to pull out from up top.

13. MetalCraftSolved

This is the first piece of sheet metal I've bent up for the lower control arms on the IFS system. I have to go through these build steps, so my friends at Motobilt can laser-cut the chromoly and bend it.

Control arm 1.jpg

Control arm 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  14. MetalCraftSolved

I ran into problems putting the bypass shock in front of the front axle. The steering linkage and the Bypass were going to intersect during steering cycles. I was given basically the only option of placing both shocks to the rear of the front axle. I was worried I'd be forced to move the coil over to a position that wasn't simultaneous. I was able to take the piggy back reservoir off of the bypass, and squeeze the shocks into a simultaneous configuration. This is going to limit the front suspension to only being able to use 2 inch coil-overs. I had intended to fit some 3 inch coil-overs up front just to use the bigger body for some heat recovery, but I'm not worried with it. I don't see any real threat to the performance of this machine by running 2 inch coils, as long as the shocks are looked after every 1000 miles or something. Both will be remote reservoir.

I have the new shell constructed for the front lower control arms. Basically at this point I have to take these lines, and design the sheet metal for fabrication. I have to visualize all the welds as I piece together the pieces of sheet metal so when it gets to the weld table, everything joints together properly.

Control arm 1.jpg

Control arm 2.jpg

Control arm 3.jpg

Control arm 4.jpg

Control arm 5.jpg

Control arm 6.jpg

Control arm 7.jpg

15. tkeaton

tkeaton Master Velocipede Alchemist

Any chance we can get some info on these points @MetalCraftSolved ?

tobaccoroad4wd likes this.
  16. braxton357

braxton357 Robot

"The models he sent me vs what I really got 16 months later" static1.jpg a4x4crossracing.com_images_My_Photos_0032.jpg