Cruggy Progress III

yeah... I was fortunate enough to get an invite.. only 15 rigs total..

BIGWOODY said:
Moorefield called me last night ....guess I'm one of the 15..see you there.

Awesome! I forgot to ask Terry who else was going... Staying at Bluewater?

I'm gonna be rolling in LATE Friday night or 0-dark-thirty Saturday morning.. I apologize in advance for waking everyone up. Getting out of a training class in VA Beach around Noon, heading home, loading up, and rollin. Gonna be a long damn day.

Rich,

what do you think it will weight in at now?
Before and after weights?

Have fun in dayton! I wish I could be there.

Before - 4160. After - 3500 is my goal. We'll see.

LukeandtheTJ said:
lookin real good dude. just promise me you won't paint the cage red.

:lol: I almost did!

Combined last weekend and this weekend update, since last weekend was about a 2/3 day only thing (bachelor gathering)

my dash was hacked to hell by the PO, so we (mostly Rob) made a dash skin to cover the whole thing... cutting out the glovebox and gauge cluster was NOT easy!

dashskin.jpg

Fully mounted, with gauges installed.. tach, water temp, oil pres, volts, and tranny temp..

dashgauges.jpg

Seats are in..

seats.jpg

As is the Art Carr shifter, and the Front Range twin stick, so I can have my beloved 2low back.

shifters.jpg

Also re-did the rear shock mount to move the shocks away from the frame. they wouldn't have contacted it normally, but I didn't think about bushing slop on a side hill allowing the whole axle to move laterally.. oops. (Thanks to Punkskalar for making me re-consider it)

rearshockmount.jpg

Now for one of my anxiously awaited pieces.. Something I have wanted for a while.. a center console. When belted in, I could never reach any switches on the dash... no longer!

Here's the raw "skeleton", which weighs <5 lbs..

consoleraw.jpg

Installed, from the side. The sides, rear, and hole around the twin stick will be skinned.

consoleside.jpg

top panel will house just about every switch to control the rig except headlight and turn signal controls. The fuse panel will also be in this area, probably on the side.

consoletopside.jpg

The only major fab left is to get the front 2-piece driveshaft made, installed, and cut out the skid plate and mount it.. Anything else is gravy.. (A roof panel, for example)

Now to begin the wiring once I get back home from my wedding.. :D

congrats on the wedding and rig, can't wait to see it in action and to be jealous of the auto...

Take that knob off the streering wheel. i have a friend with two broke fingers a snapped wrist and 12 stitches in his jaw from one grabbing jerking inverting and slicing him.

I dont think your pretty face could take that much trauma

scarface said:
Take that knob off the streering wheel. i have a friend with two broke fingers a snapped wrist and 12 stitches in his jaw from one grabbing jerking inverting and slicing him.

I dont think your pretty face could take that much trauma

Good luck with convincing him to take that off! Its a cruiser thing.........

Im interested in the story behind the breaking/slicing/inverting with the little steering knob.......do tell.

Josh

scarface said:

Dear god, what was his made of, exacto knife blades? stitches in his JAW? WTF was he doing, steering with his face?

I'm planning on getting a smaller steering wheel anyway, but the knob is gonna stay.. it's GREAT on the trail.

NOS just adds horsepower, not RPMs. Yea, they'll jump, but no higher than the engine will handle. i.e. it'll blow up first.And I'm not so sure the propane system would like that. It is pretty cool though, the engine instantly jumps 100 horsepower. (100 shot) Did a little messing with it at tech shool on a dynojet.

Metto said:
good luck getting that small block to rev up to 11k :flipoff2:

Don't hate the blingy tach... pro-comp memory, baby! :huggy: (It was in the rig when I bought it.. The PO spent $20 on 3 gauges, and $200 on the tach, go figure.

Lee.. I had thought about it for the other gauges.. to position them so straight up and down is the high end of normal operating range.. I may do that still.. once I figure out what "normal" is for my tranny. I like them positioned like that in the CTD.. makes watching the pyro easy when I'm smoking some ricer.. :D But really, it's not a bad idea at all.. I'd rather watch the tires and glance at the gauges, rather than vice-versa...

I've had the old 305 to 6200rpm, and it died soon thereafter.. :lol:

ahh its okay, i dont even have a tach. i have a floor shifter froma cavelier thats not hooked up though :rolleyes:

Rich best make a good solid cover, when the sun hits all that bling it's gonna blind you! LOL Seriously, looking good! You gonna close in the console? I invision a good place to stow a strap or two, a snatch block and some clevis's. Also, maybe adding a small solid strip below the switches to lable what is what. WHat happened to the 5 wire's I thought you said was gonna be your complete harness? Oh and a couple of 12V plug in's might be hand too, since you have room for them. just a couple thoughts.
Chip

upnover said:
You gonna close in the console? I invision a good place to stow a strap or two, a snatch block and some clevis's. Also, maybe adding a small solid strip below the switches to lable what is what.

It will be closed in on 3 sides.. but... When we go inverted, I think the recovery gear would do some bad things to the wiring inside there...

Oh and a couple of 12V plug in's might be hand too, since you have room for them. just a couple thoughts.
Chip

Yeah, that is a good idea. I still have the single cig. lighter plug, and a triple plug from Blue v.3.. might have to put 'em to use..

As for the 5 wires... umm, er.. I'm a wiring geek, I like doing this part, and I wanted to have full control over things.. but it will still only take 3 wires (ign, starter, ground) to run the rig! :)

Back