Craigslist renegotiators

I guess I am going to be that guy. But if while negotiating before actually seeing it in person we agree on a price. But when I get there it turns out to not be as described there is no way I am going to pay the first price.
For example if your selling an engine, harness, and ecu listed for $1500 and we negotiate down to $1300. If when I get there and can actually look over the whole engine and not just the beauty shots. If I find broke exhaust manifold bolts, scouring in the cylinder walls, or sludge in the motor for example. There is no way I am going to pay $1300, maybe $800-$1000 if I dont immediately walk away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I guess I am going to be that guy. But if while negotiating before actually seeing it in person we agree on a price. But when I get there it turns out to not be as described there is no way I am going to pay the first price.
For example if your selling an engine, harness, and ecu listed for $1500 and we negotiate down to $1300. If when I get there and can actually look over the whole engine and not just the beauty shots. If I find broke exhaust manifold bolts, scouring in the cylinder walls, or sludge in the motor for example. There is no way I am going to pay $1300, maybe $800-$1000 if I dont immediately walk away.

To be that guy also,if you can see the scoring in the cylinders then that most likely means the heads are off of it and your buying a core engine in a box and it should be way cheaper than $800-$1000.

To be that guy also,if you can see the scoring in the cylinders then that most likely means the heads are off of it and your buying a core engine in a box and it should be way cheaper than $800-$1000.
Bore scope, very cheap on Amazon and plugs into your phone.

If the item is not as described, I completely agree about renegotiating....

I try to undersell the item, so when the purchaser shows - they are usually pleasantly surprised with the condition, etc.

On an unrelated note, I finally sold that 5th camper - another party offered 20% less, but, get this, in cash! I was shocked @ my good fortune!

Sadly for them, someone paid my low price - all in cash, surprisingly. Apparently, outside of trades, a lot of people use this "cash" for private transactions.

If I offer someone a lower price on something, and they agree I prepare myself for said item to be 80% of what was advertised, if it is better great, if it is worse, then it was woefully misrepresented, and I typically walk away. My general rule is if I set my expectations low, and it still doesn't meet them, then the seller is probably hiding something that will bite me in the butt later.

I have jumped on what I thought were great deals for junk at a low price, only to find out I bought scrap at a horrible price.

When I finally sold my old dirtbike, this kid decided he had to have it. I was only asking like $500 for it. Great riding bike, looked like shit. He only had $200 (kid was 14, told him Id meet, but he needed a parent with valid ID). He asked if Id take $200 plus some trades. Had a .22 rifle (his dad had to sell it to me, with a signed bill of sale), a decent bow, and some car audio stuff (that I dont know the first thing about. I just wanted to see it get used, and the kid seemed like hed put it to good use. Told him up front and in the ad, it needed a clutch cable.

We meet up, I unload and load the bike after he hands me the cash, and we load the trade items into my truck. We part ways and I go clean my new gun. He starts calling me that night wanting to know why he cant get the clutch to work. Told him, you have to put a new cable on it. He starts moaning and groaning that he gave me all his cash for the bike and it should have been in working order blah blah blah. I just started ignoring him.

After like a week, the kid starts sending threats saying him and his "crew" know where I live and are gonna come F me up (he lived over an hour away) if I fix it or take it back. I just continued to ignore, and forwarded the messages to my good pal, the sheriff. Sold all but the rifle for another $200.

When I finally sold my old dirtbike, this kid decided he had to have it. I was only asking like $500 for it. Great riding bike, looked like shit. He only had $200 (kid was 14, told him Id meet, but he needed a parent with valid ID). He asked if Id take $200 plus some trades. Had a .22 rifle (his dad had to sell it to me, with a signed bill of sale), a decent bow, and some car audio stuff (that I dont know the first thing about. I just wanted to see it get used, and the kid seemed like hed put it to good use. Told him up front and in the ad, it needed a clutch cable.

We meet up, I unload and load the bike after he hands me the cash, and we load the trade items into my truck. We part ways and I go clean my new gun. He starts calling me that night wanting to know why he cant get the clutch to work. Told him, you have to put a new cable on it. He starts moaning and groaning that he gave me all his cash for the bike and it should have been in working order blah blah blah. I just started ignoring him.

After like a week, the kid starts sending threats saying him and his "crew" know where I live and are gonna come F me up (he lived over an hour away) if I fix it or take it back. I just continued to ignore, and forwarded the messages to my good pal, the sheriff. Sold all but the rifle for another $200.
I've started making it a point to snap a screenshot of the ad on CL before taking it down after a sale, just so I have a record of what was posted.

I've started making it a point to snap a screenshot of the ad on CL before taking it down after a sale, just so I have a record of what was posted.
I do that when I buy items as well. I went to look at a reefer trailer and the guy tried telling me he had it listed for $500 more than I remembered. He backed down when I showed him the screenshot. In his defense, he had changed the price a few times since the ad was originally put up so maybe he forgot his latest price drop.

Had one try today. She messaged me and asked about a push mower I had for sale. She offered $25 less than what I was asking. I never agreed to it and didn't respond. Then later she asked if she could come by and pick it up. I said sure. She shows up and hands me $150....

Uh no. Sorry ma'am but I never agreed to that. Uh, uh, uh....I've got more money. Good, thanks.

Back