Computer ?

alright, dual monitors rocks.. but 3!!! you just plain SUCK!

Where's OBXFisherman to show off his STOOOPID BIG monitor at work. damn thing is like 40" or some crap.

found the picture... and it's 50"

50inplasma.jpg

We have a few of these in our computer lab, plus some of the faculty have them in their office. As gaudy as it may seem, it's very practical. Several people can sit around and see what's on the monitor, discuss it etc. When you have several figures, lines of code, whatever, it's very convenient.
I've been doing the dual-monitor thing for years, could never give up the visual real estate now.

Im runnin an AMD 2200, (I think...maybe 2400? Can't remember!) with a Gig and 256 video.

The best thing I have done is keep the tray cleaned out and run the spybot regular to chase off all the stuff my grandaughter "gets installed" on it!

Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I have never seen 1 GB in 3 different slots totally 3gb perform better then if you have 2 -1GB stick in 2 slots.. memory works better in pairs not ODD numbers.

x2

that's why I said, it's been my "understanding"... but with that said (honest question, not being a smartass) why are some PC's built with 3 ram slots if it all works better in pairs?

Running memory in pair is old style 72 pin.:shaking: One other thing to consider is the main board might only support up to 2 gig. If you really just want to upgrade memory find out the specs on your system and see what size and speed will work. Also as said before cleaning up startup/tray will help. What also will help is cleaning up services start up in XP. Some good info here. http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

that's why I said, it's been my "understanding"... but with that said (honest question, not being a smartass) why are some PC's built with 3 ram slots if it all works better in pairs?

easier companies want you to spend more money on stuff you do not need kinda like Vista :)

people think hey it has slots I should fill them.. hey new software I should use it.. NOT always True..

Yea, well i roll with 32GB :fuck-you:, but then again, it's not a pc
:flipoff2:
I still win:
Memory: 48G real, 19G free, 24G swap in use, 23G swap free

:lol:

And I have a lot of those?
ermm, no not at my desk. Since my cube is about 4' wide :flipoff2:
(yes all my coworkers laugh. Stick the fat guy in the skinny cube. But they have learned to stop sticking things on the walls around me. :lol: )

Whatcha got?

Primarily Solaris boxes, some AIX, and some RH.
scattered across the country. We'll eventually have a DC here in Raleigh. But it isn't here yet. :(

That one was a 6800. Not fully built out yet. (Just had a window open to it, so I pasted from top.)

Most of our junk isn't overly mem heavy, but is proc heavy. So 24+ proc's are normal.

Ummm...no. Paired ram is even more important with the newer technologies, especially if you want to run in dual-channel.

"What's old is new again." Or something
But yea, high end rigs are back using paired memory. (which is why I still haven't bought a new gaming rig. Having to buy vid card, mobo, proc, ram, and prolly a power supply is going to SUCK.)

Got you beat.

We support a HP Superdome server out in Texas.
Maxed out 64 procs
256GB ram

Got you beat.

We support a HP Superdome server out in Texas.
Maxed out 64 procs
256GB ram

Since this has turned into another "my pecker's bigger than yours" thread :flipoff2:

Not necessarily a single "box", just 1 of, uh... "several" clusters setup for parallelization:

40 nodes x quad-dual core AMDs = 320 CPUs
40 nodes x 2GB/CPU (16GB/node) = 640GB

IOW, a fawkin' HUGE space heater!

WRONG do your homework before you post misinformation.:fuck-you: READ AND LEARN http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/umg05a.asp

My "homework" consists of spending every work day working on VERY high end desktops and enterprise servers---which, of the 40-50 sitting next to me right now, not a single one will run properly without paired dimms. Yes if you are working with :poop: than you can get away with it:fuck-you:

My "homework" consists of spending every work day working on VERY high end desktops and enterprise servers---which, of the 40-50 sitting next to me right now, not a single one will run properly without paired dimms....

40-50? sounds like you need to spend more time working on them than posting on here! :D :beer:

Since this has turned into another "my pecker's bigger than yours" thread :flipoff2:
Not necessarily a single "box", just 1 of, uh... "several" clusters setup for parallelization:
40 nodes x quad-dual core AMDs = 320 CPUs
40 nodes x 2GB/CPU (16GB/node) = 640GB
IOW, a fawkin' HUGE space heater!

This is how we do our everyday lab processing, we have our own cluster here we use. Not quite that fancy, just about 10 or so Linux boxes.
It's absolutel yamzaing what a difference it makes. Some processing gets cut from 8 hrs to about 20 minutes.

Well well .. I have a 6Terabyte EMC CLarion SAN that is one of my toys.. what do I win :)

and yes I can do whatever I want with it.

oh and this is not mentioning the racks full of servers, etc..

40-50? sounds like you need to spend more time working on them than posting on here! :D :beer:
:beer::lol:
THat's probably true...they are running though, not sitting here broken.

THe pair or not paired debate- as I stated earlier depends on your system. If you have an older desktop..who cares. If you are trying to run a high performance system that requires dual channel memory, memory mirroring, or sparing, then it definitely does matter.

From the whitepaper for intel's dual channel memory:

"For the best dual-channel memory performance on motherboards with the Intel dualchannel DDR chipsets, you must use identically paired memory modules in DIMM sockets 0 of channel A and B. Identically paired memory modules must also be used when populating DIMM sockets 1 of channel A and B. One can, for example, plug in matching 256MB DIMMs in both DIMM 0 slots, and plug in matching 512MB DIMMs in both DIMM 1 slots."

Linky if anyone's really bored http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRWhitepaper.pdf

Registry Clean up

I agree that the amount of RAM in your PC is low for today's needs. Another thing you might try is having someone take a look at your computers registry. Over time a lot of stuff ends up in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Stuff that loads from that key can eat into your free memory and even effect the boot up time of your PC. You have to be cautious about deleting entries in the registry. So I would recommend you get someone with experience look at that key for you.

Back