Computer ?

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
I got a question bout my computer figure some of ya'll aught to know a little more than I do bout em, but my computer is a Dell 2400 I got it back in '04. I'm trying to figure out how much memory it has.

Like, I know its got a 40gb harddrive and I added a secondary 200gb hardrive for storage a while ago to clear out the primary harddrive, but it just doesnt seem to want to run more than maybe two programs at a time, I mean it really bogs down to the point it freezes up almost sometimes.

I mean I'm pretty sure its just too much stuff running at one time for it to handle, for instance at any given time I usually have AIM running, firefox going with 5 or so tabs open, Outlook express open, and maybe like winamp running or something, plus theres always a few programs running in the startup menu or w/e it is down there at the bottom right corner like linksys, and quicktime (tried to make it go away can't), symantec.

Most other computers my friends have can handle it pretty easy but all there junk is fairly new (like 2 yrs old max). I'm pretty sure its just my computer is outdated memory wise, i just don't know how to find out how much memory I have. I think its 256mb but not sure.

If I were to get a 1 gb memory thing (or more w/e ya'll think) would that make it able to run several things at once better?

If so where should I look for some memory chips or w/e and what brands are good?

Thanks

I am guessing you have XP.. if so then

Left Click on Start
then RIGHT click on my Computer
a drop down menu will appear, go to the bottom of that and left click on Properties
A new window will pop up
Under the General Tab at the bottom it will should say:
***MB of RAM
*** = the amount of RAM

My guess would be either more RAM, or bigger tires.

Well I figure my 46" Ag Tires should be able to handle it . . . . maybe I need a bigger motor too :driver:

Low memory and alot running in the background will slow it alot.

When I do the alt control delete thing it says i have 41 processes and 566528/663504K commit charge???

If a ram upgrade is in order, is that something I can do or do I have to take it somewhere to do it?

Honestly, if you can afford it I'd just grab another Dell. They have some pretty nice deals going on now. Seems like I get an email flyer every day. The one yesterday came with a 20" monitor and was plenty fast for what you want to do. It was around $550.

It will be alittle faster with more ram. It's not hard to install "it might take 5mins" even if you have not done it before. Thing to remember about a computer is it is only as fast as it's slowest component. If system is older than 2-3 years you would be much happier with new system.

you can get memory cheap, or you could buy a new dell refurb for prolly $150 and just movee the HD over.

The 5 firefox tabs full of p0rnz has infected your computer.

Go here
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx
IE only though
And click scan my system.
It will scan your computer and com up with what memory you need then you can click buy and shipping is free.

Or you can eeven take the recomendation and head over to newegg.com and try to get it cheaper.

256Mb running XP is the bare minimum for it to run, but you'll find it largely unuseable.

If you have CC# to order with, go to www.newegg.com for the RAM. Use the "Configurator" to find the specifics for your box (much easier than pulling the RAM from your box or Dell's site). Find something in your price range and stay away from the "gamer" crap (you don't need heatsinks, etc for that box)...

256Mb running XP is the bare minimum for it to run, but you'll find it largely unuseable.
If you have CC# to order with, go to www.newegg.com for the RAM. Use the "Configurator" to find the specifics for your box (much easier than pulling the RAM from your box or Dell's site). Find something in your price range and stay away from the "gamer" crap (you don't need heatsinks, etc for that box)...

and if you are to lazy to search and find out what memory will fit your box ( I am not gonna tell ya ) then just take out the memory stick bring it to a PC store and ask them.. they can tell ya :)

if it's 4 y/o you may can upgrade the Processor as well for dirt cheap. I picked up a free Gateway that my parents were gonna throw out. Found that I could up the processor from a 1.3Ghz. to a 2.6 for about $40. I opted tossed some RAM in it that I got for free and Moms old busted computer now works fine. I think she was just looking for an excuse to get a laptop. :D

works for me, I also picked up a printer, scanner, monitor.. for free

If your running XP, it'll address up to 3Gb. If you've got the funds, drop a couple 1Gb stalks in it and be done with it.

I see folks double the memory, then complain and double it again, then complain and finally max it out... all they've done is waste $$ buying it 3 times. Since it's worthless, they throw it away or try to $3 of it on Fleabay :rolleyes:

My personal Dell econobox (P4-2.8Ghz) has a gig in it... does just fine for surfing, coding, & general work.

it depends on how many slots for memory your computer has... if its running 256mb its probly only got 1 stick in it, you might haveto open it up though and see how many slots it has... im with Caver Dave, buy the biggest stick you can for each slot it has... XP will allow up to 3Gb ram... that should last you til u get out and can get a new PC

I don't really see the point in him picking up 3gb.
He ain't gaming on the thing. If he is, he just needs to buy a new compie anyway.
Unless he uses it for Autocad? Then maybe back to the new compie theory.

1 or 2gb is plenty for web, papers, email, mp3 playing.

And he can pick up 1gb, look at usage. If he's close, then pick up a second 1gb stick. Not wasting any money at all.

Just the two cents from a cheap guy.

Ive got a gig of ram in my PC here at work, and running Solidworks and Autocad at the same time, or running 2 winders on solidworks causes the computer to freeze/stall alot, but other than that it runs dandy. Home PC and laptop also have 1 gig with no issues.

Also a bunch of em are like 2 of a smaller version like 2 512's or two 1 gb's, and would I benefit from getting 2 gb instead of 1?

Good question. If you have more than one slot It's always been my understanding that you should shoot for the most amount of ram on the most number of sticks. i.e. if you have 3 slots and your system supports 3 gigs of ram, buy three 1 gig sticks.

the computer can access 3 sticks at the same time where with one 3 gig stick it has only one stick to access at any given time.

I suggest you turn PC off and unplug it, open the case and see how many slots you have.

if you have 2 slots then get either 1 big stick or 2 smaller sticks
also I have never seen 1 GB in 3 different slots totally 3gb perform better then if you have 2 -1GB stick in 2 slots.. memory works better in pairs not ODD numbers.

you will never need more then 1 GB of memory on that PC..

Perfect example I had 3GB in work PC took out 1 GB stick and ran tests and can not find any difference at all..

Of course now I have 8GB.. but hey IT is what I DO :)

Of course now I have 8GB.. but hey IT is what I DO :)

8Gb? Show Off!

My Precision M65 (marketed as a "Mobile Workstation" for CAD/CAM) came with 4Gb. When our manager questioned why more than the OS could address, I reminded him about the 512Mb the video would address and for all the grief he's given over the years, I decided to "waste" 512Mb! :flipoff2:

It'll run a tabbed IE window (our internal .NET apps *only* do IE:rolleyes:), FireFox w/ 20 tabs (uh, work related "research" ;) ), Outlook, Word, Excel, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and about 25 RDP sessions without breaking a sweat... much better than the 600Mhz Celery I had for years

8Gb? Show Off!

heheheheheh

remember we are a AUTOCAD whore house :)

plus photoshop, RDP sessions, monitoring tools, etc

and just because I can :)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_desk.jpg

alright, dual monitors rocks.. but 3!!! you just plain SUCK!

Where's OBXFisherman to show off his STOOOPID BIG monitor at work. damn thing is like 40" or some crap.

found the picture... and it's 50"

50inplasma.jpg

Back