Commander Crash

anyone see this commander?

crazy stuff...
Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

View attachment ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y15_EvIlJpr_Jeep4.jpg
Jeep1.jpg

instead of transmitting that energy to your body, and leaving the vehicle with little damage.
The Kinetic energy has to go somewhere, and i don't want it to be into ME. Ever seen a Top fuel car rip apart, or and F1. When pieces of the body/chassis/engine etc go flying, they take away lots and lots of force.
I'd rather walk away and have to get a new car, than have my old car fixable and need new legs, ribs, neck, teeth, skin etc etc for myself. Totalling your car isn't such a bad thing, now you have a new engine for your next trail rig project!

yea, i have seen those wrecks, but those guys have nice lil cages around them, and at least a 5 point harness. modern cars dont have that.

yea, i have seen those wrecks, but those guys have nice lil cages around them, and at least a 5 point harness. modern cars dont have that.
the point is not about the cage, but that certain parts of the vehicle are designed to absorb the energy of the colision. Look at a crash test of a modern car/truck. In a frontal impact, from the bumper to the firewall would be obliterated, but the cabin of the vehicle will be largely undamaged. Study engineering alittle, cars get safer every year. In a accident, I'd rather be in a new sedan/truck than anything from the days of "classic american iron"

i know a lil about engineering, but im saying, a older vehicle would have lasted a lot better in that same situation, due to the amount of steel used in the production of them. im willing to bet a old grand waggoner or surburban would have either plowed all the way through that pole, or at least held up a little bit better than that commander did.

The only way ANY vehicle would have survived that incident would be to have avoided the curb that flipped it, and the pole acting like a Guillotine on top of the cab. The only way I see that as possible is if it had enough mass that that the wrangler couln't knock it off course, like maybe a freightliner, schoolbus etc. Form 45-50 mph to dead stop in that fashion, NO car, light truck, or SUV of ANY year would have allowed you to live. Maybe your frame wouldn't have been AS bent, but the roof would still be making contact with the floor, and your body nestled nicely in between.

My old K10 totaled 2 cars, and each time only needed a new or straightened bumper and some grille work, I know they don't make 'em like they used too. However, a new silverado would have transmitted ALOT less force(injury) to me, and caused a few grand in repair bills for the truck. WHich would you rather pay to repair?

i dont think my old F250 would have been able to get pushed by that wrangler like it happened, last time i checked CJs dont weigh that much.

but i understand what your saying about the force being transferred, kinda like the way Stock Cars get totally demolished in a wreck, but the guys can still walk away because the chassis took all the force.

i still want to get a 'cage and some 4 or 5 pt harnesses in my rig.

Back