Commander Crash

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /modules.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at gljt.org Port 80

Post pictures of it!

My condolences to all involved.

As for the jeep:
Wow. Pretty amazing. Try the thread again, I just got it to work.

It was def his time for it to hit like that... It just kinda scared the hell outta me to see that, people are lifting these things and running them on the trail.. can you imagine slipping off daniel in that thing? life or lack of would suck

Jeep ought to recall all of them. That whole vehicle is buckled, not just the roof.
Oooh, let the SUV hating media get ahold of that one!:shaking:

why cant i see the pics?!

Just so we don't kill their bandwidth:

WAUKEGAN, Ill. (STNG) -- A Beach Park man was killed and a Gurnee woman injured Monday morning when their cars collided at a north suburban Waukegan intersection.
Witnesses told police that at about 8:20 a.m., Kery Bond of Beach Park was driving a Jeep Commander southbound on Route 43 entering the Norman Drive intersection when a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, driven by Ashley Story, turned westbound from the northbound lanes on Route 43 and struck Bond’s vehicle, according to a release from Waukegan police.
The impact caused the Commander to slide across the intersection and strike a traffic light support, police said.
According to the release, Bond, 35,who suffered internal injuries, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Lake County Coroner’s office.
Story, 42, was transported to Condell Health Network in Libertyville with a broken leg, the release said. She was treated and released. The Gurnee woman was cited with making an improper left turn, Waukegan police Cmdr. Wayne Walles said.
Story and Bond were the only occupants in their vehicles, the release said.
Waukegan Police Major Traffic Accident Investigators continue to investigate the accident.

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

yeah what really got to me is how much the WHOLE vehicle gave way.. I mean I know it doesnt have frame rails or anything, but where is the main strength in this vehicle, wiht that crash its no where to be found.....

I think it was just the force. Seeing how the roof line is the part that hit the pole and the fact that poles like that are made to not break off SOO easy like it did I think he had to be going very very fast. I think any other SUV would have had the same issues. As far as the comment about not making them like they use too. Maybe they dont use 12 gauge steel for a fender but cars are made much better than they were 20-30 years ago.

I think it was just the force. Seeing how the roof line is the part that hit the pole and the fact that poles like that are made to not break off SOO easy like it did I think he had to be going very very fast. I think any other SUV would have had the same issues. As far as the comment about not making them like they use too. Maybe they dont use 12 gauge steel for a fender but cars are made much better than they were 20-30 years ago.

Yep, a kid in the town where I lived 20 years ago did the same thing when he went off the road and truck a tree. The car looked almost exactly like the pictures in this thread, where the frame sat on the ground and the wheels were up in the air. I'm guessing stricking a object, at speed, hitting directly on top of the vehicle would be a tough one to plan for.

I agree. Cars are designed to have accidents while rubber side down. This was just a fluke. Manufacturers could not plan for something like this. The shape and size of the pole is not very forgiving. If it would have been a wall or other object, the results may have been different.

I am surprised noone has brought up the old Jeep vs the New Jeep

Well I think the only old jeep close to the Commander would be the Grand wagonner... And for some reason it just seems the grand wagoneer has more metal and maybe the roof would be better, maybe not.. i guess its hard to tell. and I agree with the fact they are not made for that type of impact, but i thought most vehicles had some sort of internal roll cage???

Nope, nothing above your head but a thin layer of sheet metal on any vehicle... unless you put a cage in. Not to mention, how heavy is that vehcile. Like said, that's just not a crumple zone that you're going to have to worry about that often.

ANY vehicle that hit a pole like that would do the same thing.

i think even the stock GT bar in my bronco would offer some protection.

im tired of auto makers making vehicles they market as sport utility, when in all reality they are nothing more than a car with a bigger passenger area. people buy these new cars, think they are safer in them, when actually, they arent. all of these new vehicles with the unibody structures are a waste of money in my opinion. a small hit would total one of those cars.

I am surprised noone has brought up the old Jeep vs the New Jeep

I thought about it, but i think it is a little poor taste due to the death of occupant.

however, Soft top, Solid axled Jeep on a frame got pissed at the direction the Automaker was headed and proved it's point by raming the new design into submission.

i think even the stock GT bar in my bronco would offer some protection.
im tired of auto makers making vehicles they market as sport utility, when in all reality they are nothing more than a car with a bigger passenger area. people buy these new cars, think they are safer in them, when actually, they arent. all of these new vehicles with the unibody structures are a waste of money in my opinion. a small hit would total one of those cars.

Modern Unibody cars/trucks with crumple zones ARE SAFER. Those twisted, bent and mangled bodies absorb TONS of energy in a collision, ----- instead of transmitting that energy to your body, and leaving the vehicle with little damage.
The Kinetic energy has to go somewhere, and i don't want it to be into ME. Ever seen a Top fuel car rip apart, or and F1. When pieces of the body/chassis/engine etc go flying, they take away lots and lots of force.

I'd rather walk away and have to get a new car, than have my old car fixable and need new legs, ribs, neck, teeth, skin etc etc for myself. Totalling your car isn't such a bad thing, now you have a new engine for your next trail rig project!

Back