coilovers on a TJ...

MrShoeBoy said:
And did you drill into anything else you shouldnt have? :D
Looks good! Going to make it out to DPG?
AARON

nothing else, yet...

but I also didn't go to the shop today, and my Jeep stayed there...so unless Andy or Jeff did it, it ought to be safe...:D

gonna hit DPG for a couple hours, to see how it goes, before Tellico the next weekend...

Greg

2offroad said:
So you are going to try and drill the other hose?

yep...that's why Andy ordered two...

:D :D

I'm heading up there in a couple minutes to get started on it...maybe go with a bigger bit this time!!

Greg

Is the upgrade to nicer shocks and the tunability the main reason for the coilovers? Or, are there any other issues you hope this addresses? What is the travel of your Bilsteins? Are the coilovers going to offer more travel or change the up/down travel ratio?

Looking good, hope you don't run into any more problems on the rest of the project.

Greg,

Those coilovers look good! Looks like you'll be "Flexin'" nice...meanwhile, I'll be trying to break in these new Rancho leafs!:mad: ...We're going to have a ball at TELLICO! Ready for Lower 2?....I'm ready for another run at it! I've got plenty o' spares....Still waiting on a yoke for the front however.

Tell Andy to get ready to give a hand with an unvailing of a new project...I'll probably need a hand! :smokin: Now I've got to decide on the coilovers VS. air shocks!

Rick

Tuite said:
Is the upgrade to nicer shocks and the tunability the main reason for the coilovers? Or, are there any other issues you hope this addresses? What is the travel of your Bilsteins? Are the coilovers going to offer more travel or change the up/down travel ratio?

Looking good, hope you don't run into any more problems on the rest of the project.

I think the Bilsteins were about a 10" travel shock...these are 12"...we could've gone 14" or 16", but we would've had to go higher, and there was no need to go higher...

I was going to do the rears when I stretch the wheelbase...for a couple reasons...

figured no reason to run rear coilovers and not do the front, since Andy suggested the front should be done first anyway...

so, since the weld-in kit was available, we went ahead and knocked it out...

hoses and oil came in this morning, so we ought to get it all buttoned back up when I head back up there in a little bit...

Greg

ricesyj said:
Greg that thing looks sweet you and Andy did a great job putting it in. Can't wait to see that thing out at DPG.

thanks...

we got it all buttoned up last night (after a unrelated electrical issue)...

I picked it up this morning and drove it for the first time...drove real nice...a good bit tighter/firmer in the front...

I gotta get back and adjust bump stops...pretty sure I have some I can remove...but it'll be at DPG to see how it runs...

Greg

we started on the rear today...

started with a couple boxes:

DSCN1360.JPG

and some parts:

DSCN1364.JPG

and a "pre" measurement:

DSCN1363.JPG

it looked about like this by around lunchtime:

DSCN1370.JPG

with all the powdercoating removed off the rear control arms, and two of them cut in half:

DSCN1372.JPG

and the body was cut flush under the tailgate:

DSCN1378.JPG

hopefully it's somewhat back together by the end of the day tomorrow...

Greg

ricesyj said:
Is your rig over at Andy's now getting the springs put on. I will have to stop by and take a look.

if by springs you mean coilovers...yes...

come see us tomorrow (Tuesday)...Stewart came by today to see the "disassembly" portion...

Greg

ricesyj said:
Somebody gets coilovers and they get all formal can't use the word spings huh :D :D

yep...it's an elistist snob kinda deal...

kinda like those people that ask you if you're free for lunch, and then you give them two ways to contact you during the day, and they choose to use neither method...:lol: :lol:

Greg

Atleast somebody is getting their coilovers installed...

Whats your plan for the back half? Tubing it or redoing the frame?

tempoffroad said:
Whose green tj is that in the background? Looks like about two years worth of dust on it:flipoff2:

:( :( :( :( :(

ricesyj said:
Is your rig finished. It looked like there was still a lot after I left.

DSCN1383.JPG

DSCN1385.JPG

haven't worked on the coilover mounts or the swaybar...but we had a delay getting the arms machined from the guy Andy uses...

BTW...here's a cross-section of the new beefy LCA's:

DSCN1387.JPG

(compared to a 1-3/4" .250 wall tube)

then, it's the little things like e-brake cables, brake lines, and decided what I do with some corner protection (and probably have to ditch the hinges on the tailgate)...

Greg

Back