Cheapo Tow Rig project

Who needs AC anyway, you got four windows.... roll em down :D

Ain’t no way I’m driving 3+ hours with the windows down! I’m spoiled rotten when it comes to AC. Lol

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was invented before all of us were :D

Now I have to replace it, the condenser, dryer, and orfice tube and flush it all.
Rock Auto has the whole kit pretty cheap but by the time I have it flushed and recharged it will probably be $500-600.
I have 2 long distance trips coming up, and was about to drop some money on my rig. Now that will be spent on this repair instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well dang, I've got manifold gauges and a vacuum pump when you decide to do the job.

Also, Ebay has some complete A/C service kits for cheap and walmart has the cheapest prices on 134a.

Well dang, I've got manifold gauges and a vacuum pump when you decide to do the job.

Also, Ebay has some complete A/C service kits for cheap and walmart has the cheapest prices on 134a.

Probably gonna do it over at K Squared, you we can plan it out. I will supply pizza and Sams 76.

At least all your stuff is external....I've gotta pull my dash to replace a cracked HVAC box, heater core, and evap core.

Anyone following this thread want the camper shell? I’ll sell it for what I have in it which is $50.

Otherwise it’s going on FB marketplace for $100. Let me know, can deliver within reason and I’ll include the stands I built for it.

Someone is supposed to buy my camper shell today. I got a nice little upgrade this week! Wasn’t really looking but happened to come across this one at a great deal. It’s an older 8’ SunLine.
Has a window unit AC mounted in the side. It’s REALLY clean and well cared for. Truck brought it home fine and held 70ish with only a little extra effort. If time allows, I’m going to drag the Jeep down the road with it today as a test tow.

2eeb328b126032d2d36c53644a600bff.jpg

29658e556ea087eb5def18956ecb03d2.jpg

efceba265452d3612ca5d89177a370be.jpg

494a6dc3562214175aaa1558ed69d8bd.jpg

6d3c7347da6364be7389ec617fc7ac4f.jpg

30703e951f01c4742f51f48248d3d31e.jpg

273f850d9e8b4e53f66f8197848e23a8.jpg

And, it even came with the wooden stand to set it on when not on the truck.

Someone is supposed to buy my camper shell today. I got a nice little upgrade this week! Wasn’t really looking but happened to come across this one at a great deal. It’s an older 8’ SunLine.
Has a window unit AC mounted in the side. It’s REALLY clean and well cared for. Truck brought it home fine and held 70ish with only a little extra effort. If time allows, I’m going to drag the Jeep down the road with it today as a test tow.

2eeb328b126032d2d36c53644a600bff.jpg

29658e556ea087eb5def18956ecb03d2.jpg

efceba265452d3612ca5d89177a370be.jpg

494a6dc3562214175aaa1558ed69d8bd.jpg

6d3c7347da6364be7389ec617fc7ac4f.jpg

30703e951f01c4742f51f48248d3d31e.jpg

273f850d9e8b4e53f66f8197848e23a8.jpg

And, it even came with the wooden stand to set it on when not on the truck.

Let @Dylan W. know if you need any help doing work to it. He is an expert.

So I’m bored at the beach, and after I looked at all I could see of the trails at Harlan on google maps, I did some camper research.

This thing is a SunLine, but there are no other markings/tags. After some digging, there’s quite the following for SunLine campers in general and they have a forum just for fans. I joined and posted up and someone quickly pointed me in the right direction.

Turns out I have a 77 SunLine 8’ SDR.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/documents//ec_tmp/1977 Sunline Truck Campers.pdf

Quite amazing that this thing is in the shape it’s in considering it’s a 77’ model. It’s also pretty light at 1225lbs, and several things have been removed so probably closer to 1000lbs dry.

How many gallons of water does it hold?

How many gallons of water does it hold?

The tank has been changed out, and it has an updated 12V pump system in it. I have no idea what size tank it if but I think it’s 40gal. There is no holding tank. It only has a sink, so it’d just be gray water from washing hands or a dish or something. I’ll run a hose to a bucket and empty as needed.

It does have an outside spigot, so I can potentially use that for a quick rinse, lather, rinse type shower for me and the kids if I do it quick and efficiently.

The tank has been changed out, and it has an updated 12V pump system in it. I have no idea what size tank it if but I think it’s 40gal. There is no holding tank. It only has a sink, so it’d just be gray water from washing hands or a dish or something. I’ll run a hose to a bucket and empty as needed.

It does have an outside spigot, so I can potentially use that for a quick rinse, lather, rinse type shower for me and the kids if I do it quick and efficiently.

Gotcha, the outside spigot will come in more handy than you think, especially when you have the kids and dog. Washing off feet/legs/dirty dog before getting in the camper will be key.

A/C in the truck fixed yet?

Dorman makes a new high side fitting that has a valve core in it vs the stupid spring and rubber ball. It's pretty inexpensive and totally worth it. They factory ones are kind of a one time use anyway.

Dorman makes a new high side fitting that has a valve core in it vs the stupid spring and rubber ball. It's pretty inexpensive and totally worth it. They factory ones are kind of a one time use anyway.
also just found out the high side found that are in the conversion kit also fit. I've got several left over from conversions in the past.

@Croatan_Kid you got a Rock Auto link to what you’re talking about? I have not ordered parts yet but I better replace this too when I do. I don’t exactly know which one is high/low side

It looks like mine was leaking at the but for the orfice tube. I always had to turn the air in and off, because the air flow would stop. I’d turn the fan up and hear it but it was like something was blocking it. After turning the AC off and letting it blow it would start blowing hard again, so I got used to turning it on and off before it ever got “clogged”

I think what was happening is it was low on Freon so my evap coil would freeze up, which meant there wasn’t enough air flow over it and my Freon was going back to the compressor in liquid form, also probably not having enough oil which washed the bearings and eventually locked up the pump. For a while I thought it was a blend door thing but realize now that was not the case.

High side is the larger fitting, on the larger diameter line. (If a Chevy, it will also have a black ball looking thing in the middle instead of what would seem to be a Schader valve like on a tire)

Rock Auto oddly doesn't list them anymore. Part number is 800-955 though.

Back