Cheapo Tow Rig project

I also confirmed my suspicions about the AC. Last year I had to replace the compressor and all. I suspected stop leak had been put in at some point. I found where they had noted they added freon and stop leak and said “may need compressor” and shortly after that they added a compressor. But didn’t appear to change anything else. That stop leak is awful, and probably what gummed up my low pressure switch which in turn caused it to freeze allowing the freon to go back to the compressor as a liquid and wash the bearings. Luckily I have replaced it all and hope to be good for a while.

Last edited:
Haven’t updated this in a while. Last trip out the AC belt came off again. I put it back on entirely by hand, with no ratchet needed. It was way too easy, so obviously the tensioner is shot. A new AC Delco tensioner will be here tomorrow.

It’s also already time for another oil change. It’s funny, I went back to the beginning of this thread and saw where I was cautious about the truck but now I think nothing of driving 5+ hours away, even pulling 11k behind it now.

So far I have taken this truck to the following places towing:

Harlan (4)
AOP (2)
Kairos (3)
Choccolocco
The Ranch
Uwharrie

Not to mention it’s been borrowed to go to GA to get a Jeep, Princeton to get a trailer, Statesville, and I’ve driven it to Holden and Myrtle Beach a few times. I drive it about once every other week or so just because.
In short I have officially put 20k miles on this truck and most of them are towing.

I just couldn’t be happier with the truck. I truly love it. The rust in the rocker in the driver side is getting worse, but I’m gonna do the right thing and ignore it.

I now get a “catalytic converter below efficiency threshold” code but it’s random. I might go 150, 600 miles, or even 1500 miles before it comes back. It does have an exhaust leak I’m fixing to address, perhaps that’s it?

I’m at a point where my back seems to bother me more than it used to and the seats are killing me. I really home to run across some power seats in the near future for cheap. That’ll allow me to change the pitch of the seat bottom and make a big difference.

I haven’t got around to a tune yet but I will one of these days. I also have changed the trans fluid yet, but I plan to put a bigger cooler on before the summer so I’ll take care of it then. I should also change the rear diff fluid, but I probably won’t.

I’ll soon be putting the truck back to working hard again, I’ll feel a little better with the AC belt situation remedied now that I know what it is. I’d hate for that belt to jump off and take out the serpentine belt also.

Last edited:
Go ahead and get some new cats welded in. My f150 started throwing a code a few weeks ago saying insufficient catalyst flow bank 1 and wouldn't pass inspection. Had a new one put on last Monday and Wow, it drives like a new truck. I didn't notice the loss in power since it was so gradual but the new cat sure woke it up.

On my 6.0 gas truck, I think the pair of 3" high flow cats knocked off 4 hp at WOT. Smells way better with them vs without too.

Go ahead and get some new cats welded in. My f150 started throwing a code a few weeks ago saying insufficient catalyst flow bank 1 and wouldn't pass inspection. Had a new one put on last Monday and Wow, it drives like a new truck. I didn't notice the loss in power since it was so gradual but the new cat sure woke it up.
I was having stuttering issues with my dump truck (95 C3500 with a treefitty)
Plugs, wires,...etc...kinda helped but still moved like it had 3 tons of gravel in the bed. Took it to our muffler guy in Thomasville. He said the cat was basically closed. Since it's a 95 it doesn't get smog tested so he "reconditioned" my cat. Now it runs better than it has since I've owned it. I really need a set of cutouts and a actuated damper so when I'm on the way back from the quarry I can take a detour thru my old neighborhood and wake up all the stay-at-home Karens that encouraged me to buy land and build 1000ft away from anyone else in the woods. :huggy:

I'm very pleased with the re-awakened small block

I have picked up another truck like mine, except it’s an 05 with the 8.1/Allison. I’m very tempted to keep it and sell mine, but I intended to flip this. I am attached to my truck.

So if anyone is interested, here’s your “in before the ad” as I’m going to clean it up and tinker on a few simple things (like the blower motor) and then post it for sale.

$5k OBO

Drove it an hour home and it does great.

8.1/Allison
Crew Cab Long Bed
Cold AC/hot heat
Brand new tires
New steering box
New radiator
New brake booster
New battery

Truck drives amazing, nice and tight. Amazing power! Minor exhaust manifold leak (real common) and has dents and scratches like a work truck would. Tan interior (dirty for now) and sagging head liner. Price is negotiable but will get firmer the more I do to it and time I put into it.

@adamk has the same truck, from the same place and has been driving/towing for about a year now problem free.

Come buy this before I swap my stuff into it and keep it!
2AD31B81-35D3-457A-9787-EDE15E48A029.jpeg
086ED990-C84A-4B41-A918-F4A278D08EC7.jpeg

I have picked up another truck like mine, except it’s an 05 with the 8.1/Allison. I’m very tempted to keep it and sell mine, but I intended to flip this. I am attached to my truck.

So if anyone is interested, here’s your “in before the ad” as I’m going to clean it up and tinker on a few simple things (like the blower motor) and then post it for sale.

$5k OBO

Drove it an hour home and it does great.

8.1/Allison
Crew Cab Long Bed
Cold AC/hot heat
Brand new tires
New steering box
New radiator
New brake booster
New battery

Truck drives amazing, nice and tight. Amazing power! Minor exhaust manifold leak (real common) and has dents and scratches like a work truck would. Tan interior (dirty for now) and sagging head liner. Price is negotiable but will get firmer the more I do to it and time I put into it.

@adamk has the same truck, from the same place and has been driving/towing for about a year now problem free.

Come buy this before I swap my stuff into it and keep it!
View attachment 333418 View attachment 333419

Put the drivetrain in the YJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only downside to the 8.1 is it’s thirsty 10mpg loaded or not and a quart of oil every other tank. It’s what they do.

Would anyone be more interested in my truck with the 6.0? I cleaned this one up good today and the more time I spend around it the more I wanna keep it.

I would of course keep my gooseneck hitch, radio and mirrors, but I would let my tuck go for $4k

I've got a nice set of power tow mirrors somebody could get with the purchase of any 99-06 GM fullsize truck :D

I have decided I will be selling this old faithful truck and keeping the 8.1 truck. I have already began swapping over the radio and stuff.

As for my 6.0 truck, I would hop in this thing and drive it to California right now, no concerns. If anyone is interested PM me. I should have it posted by the beginning of next week and it will also go on FBMP.

I'll start the bidding at $7. (Thats two tree-fiddys so its a pretty generous offer) :D

Headers are up to you as far as brand and collector style. Long tubes, for sure, whatever coating you want. 1⅞ primaries with a 3" dual exhaust works well. High flow cats, universal ones work fine, and I'm a big fan of the Dynomax UltraFlo Welded mufflers. Dual in/dual out. It has an internal X pipe that, surprisingly, made a noticeable difference in power on my truck. The tone is mellow, but sounds good.

All of this was on a 6.0 motor. 8.1s may have different options on primary tube size, but I'd still definitely do long tubes.

Headers are up to you as far as brand and collector style. Long tubes, for sure, whatever coating you want. 1⅞ primaries with a 3" dual exhaust works well. High flow cats, universal ones work fine, and I'm a big fan of the Dynomax UltraFlo Welded mufflers. Dual in/dual out. It has an internal X pipe that, surprisingly, made a noticeable difference in power on my truck. The tone is mellow, but sounds good.

All of this was on a 6.0 motor. 8.1s may have different options on primary tube size, but I'd still definitely do long tubes.

I just bought a 03 6.0 which is why I ask, likely going to pm you to ask some questions here shortly. I wish @77GreenMachine would put long tubes and an exhaust on that 8.1, love the sound of a big block.

Back