Changing the way we eat and drink...

The amount of sugar in processed foods is unreal. Especially obvious when you compare EU-manufactured "sweets" against their US-manufacturered counterparts.
One of Lisa's biking friends recently went on vacation to Morroco and England. He's an Oreo junkie and he and Lisa joke about junk food on their bike rides.
Anyway, he brought back some regular and also chocolate covered Oreos from across the pond. Totally bland and nowhere nearly as sweet tasting as ours are here.

One of Lisa's biking friends recently went on vacation to Morroco and England. He's an Oreo junkie and he and Lisa joke about junk food on their bike rides.
Anyway, he brought back some regular and also chocolate covered Oreos from across the pond. Totally bland and nowhere nearly as sweet tasting as ours are here.
Check out the labels on store-bought bread

Coconut oil FTMFW. Higher smoke point and doesn't impart flavor.

1T in a pot with 4 kernels, heat until they pop, then add 1/2 c kernels and cover. Remove from heat and shake for 30 seconds (this helps bring the kernels up to temp). Return to heat and shake until you don't hear any more popping. Dump into bowl. Season as desired.

I prefer melting a couple of tablespoons of butter in the still warm pot and pouring it over the top, add salt and stir. Not enough butter to make it greasy but 'no fat no flavor.'

I've been making it this way for like 10 years.
šŸ¤® Coconut oil, I hate anything with Coconut in it. I've had BSA chocolate covered popcorn, tasted off to me, my wife said tastes good to me. I looked at ingredients and they used coconut oil, in the chocolate, if its in anything I won't eat it. I know many don't like the texture of coconut but for me its the taste. Same for aspartame.

šŸ¤® Coconut oil, I hate anything with Coconut in it. I've had BSA chocolate covered popcorn, tasted off to me, my wife said tastes good to me. I looked at ingredients and they used coconut oil, in the chocolate, if its in anything I won't eat it. I know many don't like the texture of coconut but for me its the taste. Same for aspartame.
<shrug> I had to look that up and it's got all sorts of nasty stuff in it that would prob taste gross to me, too. Same with artificial sweeteners, I can taste them over other flavors and can't stand it.

My general rule is to eat less stuff that comes in a box (unless it's a crate of oranges or avocados :lol: ).

The joke in my house is I'm ruining the restaurants we like as I learn how to make more of the foods we'd order from scratch. Kick ass pork, chicken, corned beef, soups, sourdough bread, and other breads from scratch using sourdough.

Yall a buncha dumbass hippies. Everything is a single ingredient organic at some point. Eat whatever ya want! (said by some fatass who will probably die before 45 due to poor life choices)

Flour, salt, and baking powder
Absolutely. But not everyone has a rockstar @trailhugger at home to make home made taco Shells :D
So you buy something like: Flour Tortillas, 10-count for Tacos & Fajitas - Old El Paso
And get:
1681850051996.png

But to go a step even deeper....something like flour...even the store bought flour most buy is stepped on all.
1681850165146.png

And that's before we dive even deeper to get to the rules regarding things like flour - which since they are classified as food components and not food items they get to measure differently and are held to a lower standard of accuracy by the FDA.....

Yall a buncha dumbass hippies. Everything is a single ingredient organic at some point. Eat whatever ya want! (said by some fatass who will probably die before 45 due to poor life choices)
There's a reasonable argument be made that diving into diet minutiae is merely navel gazing if an individual hasn't addressed their lack of exercise/movement.

I've posted my diet before, but will do so again. This has been the same for several years now.

Breakfast:
2-3 packs of oatmeal
large glass of OJ

Morning snack:
2 hard boiled eggs
1 apple
20 oz of milk

lunch:
chicken
rice or sweet potato

afternoon snack:
granola bar

dinner:
Some kind of meat, rice or potatoes, and some veggies that my wife cooks

About 2 nights a week I will make an avocado, tomato and olive salad

No soda

No alcohol

Lots of water with the occasional Gatorade

I've posted my diet before, but will do so again. This has been the same for several years now.

Breakfast:
2-3 packs of oatmeal
large glass of OJ

Morning snack:
2 hard boiled eggs
1 apple
20 oz of milk

lunch:
chicken
rice or sweet potato

afternoon snack:
granola bar

dinner:
Some kind of meat, rice or potatoes, and some veggies that my wife cooks

About 2 nights a week I will make an avocado, tomato and olive salad

No soda

No alcohol

Lots of water with the occasional Gatorade

Its not that any of that is bad, i like all those things you listed (except for milk), but damn I need some variety in my life. I cant imagine eating the same thing every day.

There's a reasonable argument be made that diving into diet minutiae is merely navel gazing if an individual hasn't addressed their lack of exercise/movement.
Related:

Back it up to around 43:00 for the discussion on cardiorespiratory fitness as it relates to all-cause mortality. Skip ahead to 51:00 for brain health (dementia/alzheimer's) relationship.

The amount of sugar in processed foods is unreal. Especially obvious when you compare EU-manufactured "sweets" against their US-manufacturered counterparts.
This is something that I recently found out about. They took a box of pop tarts from here in the US and a box of the same pop tarts and its amazing the difference in ingredients. I just understand why we can't have those some laws here.

This is something that I recently found out about. They took a box of pop tarts from here in the US and a box of the same pop tarts and its amazing the difference in ingredients. I just understand why we can't have those some laws here.
Watch the Fed Up documentary I mentioned earlier. It'll change your approach to food

This is something that I recently found out about. They took a box of pop tarts from here in the US and a box of the same pop tarts and its amazing the difference in ingredients. I just <don't> understand why we can't have those some laws here.
Funny thing is, we don't need laws to change it. There is nothing stopping the food companies from supplying better stuff, or people just growing things in their own yard. But the FDA and lobbyists are making it easier/cheaper to pump out sugar (and fake sugar) filled low nutrition crap, and build sugar addicts from early childhood.

Funny thing is, we don't need laws to change it. There is nothing stopping the food companies from supplying better stuff, or people just growing things in their own yard. But the FDA and lobbyists are making it easier/cheaper to pump out sugar (and fake sugar) filled low nutrition crap, and build sugar addicts from early childhood.
See also: lobbyist
See also: Big Farm
See also: Food Pyramid

Liability is a factor

Biggest problem is shit parents buying junk for their fat kids. As with everything else in America, your problems are someone else's fault.

Biggest problem is shit parents buying junk for their fat kids. As with everything else in America, your problems are someone else's fault.

Also, sugar isn't cheap. Especially not what's coming down the line. The sugar cartel in Florida and upper Midwest are putting the squeeze on us this year.

But, Cargill is in fact the devil

Related:

Back it up to around 43:00 for the discussion on cardiorespiratory fitness as it relates to all-cause mortality. Skip ahead to 51:00 for brain health (dementia/alzheimer's) relationship.

I came across that video somehow not too long ago. I really enjoyed it.

bc junk food is easier

Back