Changing the way we eat and drink...

Interesting thread topic and ad combo!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426_092316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_092316_Chrome.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 59
50 minutes in the oven and voila. I bake about half on the pizza stone with the Dutch oven to cover, like this one, and half in a bread pan with a lid. We make sandwiches with both types.
20230426_113818.jpg

I am sad to say, i've been tricked....
Yes i knew all about this 10 years ago. But i had 'other things' going on.
Now I'm not fat, but, I had a little pudge going on. One that would not go away...
Everything i been eating is garbage, and we are mid-stream at purging the kitchen.
Even the spaghetti sauce !!!!! What the fuck!!!........Seriously
No wonder my HDL/LDL won't go down.
I watched the move last night 'Fed Up' and I'm Fed Up with myself......
Thank You for putting that link in here... :/

Maybe I'm missing something, but idk how folks have the time to cook from scratch all the time. I'm effin busy. Between work, chores, shop time, booster club volunteering, and the kids sports, we don't have much time to devote to cooking.

It was EASY when I was WFH for 2.5 years. Now that I am back in the office 5 days/wk I prepare and cook all my food for the week on Saturday or Sunday.

It's about 30 minutes a day of actual effort, not counting the time the bread is in the oven, which you can spend doing other things. Your kids can even do it, because mine do.

I have a few other recipes I've found and tweaked that I'll post up later.

This is a winner: Chocolate Chip Sourdough Scones

So you have to make it everyday? I love the idea of homemade bread. But 1/2 the week its just me and everyother weekend. It would take me a me a few days to kill a loaf.

I am sad to say, i've been tricked....
Yes i knew all about this 10 years ago. But i had 'other things' going on.
Now I'm not fat, but, I had a little pudge going on. One that would not go away...
Everything i been eating is garbage, and we are mid-stream at purging the kitchen.
Even the spaghetti sauce !!!!! What the fuck!!!........Seriously
No wonder my HDL/LDL won't go down.
I watched the move last night 'Fed Up' and I'm Fed Up with myself......
Thank You for putting that link in here... :/
Wife makes our sauce. Starts with 30lbs of maters and only make 6 quarts. It's outstanding but also the reason why most buy a jar.

Edit: rest isn't a response to just the above.
We cook almost all our suppers and those become left over lunches for me. She does the rabbit food lunches for herself. Breakfast and all the snack I do is where we could be better.
As for those who question the time? It really is a priority thing. She is a teacher. As soon as she hits the door it's clean a bit, grab a beverage....used to be fresh coffee. After the bold rock, latter in the school year, she cooks. We are growing more of our on food but for those who don't you still make conscious purchases. The whole cook thing really is a discipline. It's why supper is 6 sharp. She does so much that when we camp it's all on me.
As for those with youngins and distractions of PTO and ball and and and......well it's your priority. How does healthy and food fit in to busy? I bet half those making an effort to burn calories on a tread mill or insert whatever could switch that time to cooking real food and see twice the benefit.
Welp I need to finish my meatloaf peas/carrots and taters......ahhhh all home made.

Some marry for careers or looks. I got it right this time my wife can and loves to cook.

No, you don't have to make it every day. You can keep the starter in the fridge and feed it weekly instead of daily (or however often you use it).

I bake a loaf of bread probably 4 days a week but I use it for different things the other days. Today, for example, I'll make pizza dough, on Saturdays it goes into pancake batter for Sunday morning, sometimes it's biscuits or banana bread. Some days I just scoop the amount I would otherwise use in bread into my discard jar in the fridge to save for the recipes where I'll need more than the standard amount, like pancakes and banana bread.

No, you don't have to make it every day. You can keep the starter in the fridge and feed it weekly instead of daily (or however often you use it).

I use it for different things some days (today, for example, I'll make pizza dough) and some days I just scoop the amount I would otherwise use in bread into my discard jar in the fridge to save for recipes where I'll need more than the standard amount, like pancakes and banana bread.
Home made cinnamon rolls....with the damn icing! 😂

The pancakes are so good and I like the break from kneading dough. :lol:

190g all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
240g sourdough starter
2 eggs
3/4 - 1c milk
1c sour cream

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then add dry to wet and mix JUST until combined. Sometimes I reserve a bit of the milk in case it needs a splash at the end of mixing but I prefer the batter to be thicker than runnier. The original recipe I adapted called for 1 1/2 c milk!

Cook on hot pan or griddle (I use coconut oil) in batches. These are the lightest, fluffiest pancakes and I've been fiddling with pancake recipes for about 15 years. The sourdough really turns these up to 11. Serve with butter and maple syrup (we also like huckleberry syrup or the Tree Hive maple/honey syrup).

Serve with butter and maple syrup (we also like huckleberry syrup or the Tree Hive maple/honey syrup).
Talking about health, syrup is the biggest gimick out there that most ppl dont know. It's all HFCS, and most dont know, unless you are buying Actual Maple Syrup. Ive tried explaining this to my wife and kids, and they wont get off the cheap crap.

I need to try getting a starter going again... Ive tried a few times, and it hasnt got going very well, or I let it die.

Talking about health, syrup is the biggest gimick out there that most ppl dont know. It's all HFCS, and most dont know, unless you are buying Actual Maple Syrup. Ive tried explaining this to my wife and kids, and they wont get off the cheap crap.

I need to try getting a starter going again... Ive tried a few times, and it hasnt got going very well, or I let it die.
Definitely actual maple syrup here. Tastes so much better.

I get the best results feeding my starter using whole wheat flour. The higher protein content really seemed to make it more reliable early on and so I stuck with it.

Related:

Back it up to around 43:00 for the discussion on cardiorespiratory fitness as it relates to all-cause mortality. Skip ahead to 51:00 for brain health (dementia/alzheimer's) relationship.

In that video he mentions being able to farmer carry your body weight for 2 minutes. That is half your body weight in each hand. I decided to give it a try today at the gym. I weighed 210 lbs this morning. The biggest dumbbells they have at my gym are 100 lbs, so I picked them up and walked back and forth. I only made it to 1 minute. It was harder than I expected.

In that video he mentions being able to farmer carry your body weight for 2 minutes. That is half your body weight in each hand. I decided to give it a try today at the gym. I weighed 210 lbs this morning. The biggest dumbbells they have at my gym are 100 lbs, so I picked them up and walked back and forth. I only made it to 1 minute. It was harder than I expected.
That's impressive. Well done. The only thing I can hold for 2 minutes is my phone. I have no patience.

Yeah I listened and heard that and thought…where the fawk I’m gonna get a 150lb dumbbell

Maybe OP will too.
If not, I'll keep asking until he sees a reason to change his life.
I have not watched it yet. I need to. Will try and set aside some time this weekend to watch it..

So we have been cutting back on foods we used to keep in our house on the daily. Each grocery trip becomes more fruits and veggies. having a picky child doesn't help but I know if she's really hungry, she will eat. I even recently found out that the jar of Mt. Olive pickles we always get has Yellow #5 in them. We also just started goring cucumbers, so we are wanting to jar our own pickles once we start getting an abundance of them coming in.

Last edited:
With a kid friend birthday party on Friday and then traveling to visit family yesterday, we ended up consuming some 'treats' and making a few less than optimal choices this weekend. Orange juice, biscuits, punch, Gatorade, cookies, even Go Go Squeez yogurt are not a regular part of our diet. It seemed like a good opportunity to go through the exercise of making sure the kids understood how those choices affect our bodies' ability to perform at optimum levels and how much sugar is actually in certain foods. I had them brainstorm foods with very little sugar (or so they thought) and foods with a lot of sugar... then we measured out the grams of sugar to visually see what you might cram into your pie hole that you'd never think to spoon into your mouth on it's own. The kids were staggered when we added up a hypothetical day's worth of sugar from some of the things they consumed yesterday. We picked and chose definitely the worst (no one individual actually consumed all the things we tallied), but it was a very believable 'day' that totaled 110 grams of mostly added sugar!

Back