Buttercup

Np435, granny low, climbs like a billy goat, it’s been in places you would never think of for a half ton unlocked truck

last few years we owned it, we only drove it in the snow, (your welcome for all the salt rust), but that truck has been to the backside of shining rock when the road was still open, and as far as the outer banks on the coast, but honestly I don’t think it ever crossed out of the state lines, damn gas hog

Awesome.

Wrong color, but awesome.
I would have NEVER picked it with this color. But daggone if for some reason it dont just grow on you in person. The patina really makes it too. Especially when its wet. Can't wait to clear it

First off.....This is a stupid hobby!!!

So a few weeks ago @doc posted a 78 F250 Long bed 2wd Freebie.

Always wanted a 78/79 long bed 4x4. Never been a priority, but if I ever ran across one.....

well...you can't get better than FREE.

So I trailered up Shaq and headed south. Once I arrived at his place, I saw the 78 and was pretty excited. It was in nearly rust-free condition. Straight, and everything looked good. Of course Doc had swapped in an older grille, but we will soon remedy that.
We chatted for a bit, and he was telling me about some of his projects. Then I spotted the grille of an 85/86 F150 4x4. For some reason I've always liked those too. I was curious what his plans were for it....and he said "It's for sale" :eek: That he got it from @guffey24 and he just has too many projects. And wants to focus on the important ones. I figured since he was smart enough to stat becoming more focused, I mind as well be dumb and jump right into the position he's wanting to get out of :shaking: I mean, What could go wrong?
Problem is, I really need to check my pickle jar buried in the back yard and see what I'm able to do.

So after the most dangerous/reckless loading attempt ever made outside of a Jack-ass video I strapped down the 78 and headed home. Stopped at the sac-o-suds to tighten any loose straps and grasp the reality of how we actually loaded this non-running tank onto my trailer and no bus full of nuns got killed.... And...take a pic of course

View attachment 329741

I arrived home and unloaded the 78. And contemplated where I'm now going to keep all these "trucks" should the pickle jar prove there's fundage available. I have room...but do I really want another project?

I mean, I still have another project at @amcjeepman place o_O

Grabbed the shovel, and started digging for my jar. To my surprise I had enough to make the trip back down to Docs. This was good AND bad at the same time.

The following monday I trailered up Shaq and repeated the mission once again. Only this time I was able to drive the 86 on the trailer withOUT using Doc as a bumper to protect Shaq from 2 tons of parts barreling down his steep driveway toward him silently with no backup plan.
I strapped the 86 down and paid the man, and I was on my way once again.
This time I was quite a bit more excited. And.....I really wasn't sure why. I mean I've WANTED a 78/79 for so long....but, only really "Liked" the 85/86. Never really having any intentions of OWNING one. But for some reason..this one really SPOKE to me.

Usually when a vehicle "speaks" to me....I give it a name. The 78 is cool. But it's been a very quiet vehicle. Hasn't said anything. The whole ride home...it just looked like it was pouting.
When I parked it, again...didn't really say anything other than giving me a look of "OK so I'll sit HERE now :rolleyes:"
The 86 on the otherhand...the whole ride home looked like a goofy Labrador puppy I was bringing home from a breeder.
I fired it up and pulled it off the trailer and immediately washed it. You really get to know a vehicle by washing it. It was during this bath that it spoke up and named itself:

"Buttercup"

No idea where that came from...but here's Buttercup as I got it.

View attachment 329746

Nice set of 33" mud tars, on 92-96 fool size rims.

View attachment 329747

View attachment 329748

After a good bath I pulled it around back...to try and minimize the "hoarders vehicle edition"

View attachment 329745

The wife and I went to dinner and when we came back I pulled around back to show her where I was parking it, and she started humming the theme to Sanford and Son :(

Anyway...one of the bonuses to this purchase was the fact that it came with a "brand new in a box" 2.5" lift

So the following weekend I pulled it in the middle bay for some deconstruction

View attachment 329749

I removed the front wheels to discover a SMIDGE of rust

View attachment 329751

I had to regroup and head to Advance to buy a case of PB blaster. Also went to the office and nabbed all the cardboard I could get my hands on to make cleanup easier.

Finally got the old stuff off

View attachment 329750

It took all weekend to JUST get the front done. I had forgotten how much I hated lifting TTB fronts. What a pain in the ass.

Anyway...the rear was super simple. But in the process of impacting so many old bolts buttercup shed nearly 2 mason jars of rust onto the floor.

She looks a WHOLE lot better with an attitude....er altitude adjustment!

View attachment 329753

So good I moved her up to the front :huggy:

View attachment 329752

The interior cleaned up pretty well too

View attachment 329754

I'm very happy with it. I really could just drive this truck and be happy...and that MAY be what I do for a while. But...I can't leave anything alone. It may be down the road, but.....
Plans include:

Clearcote the paint AS-IS (typically I hate green with a passion..this one is different)
Motor work
Headers
Duals
Potentially tons
Potentially 38's
Even though I once had a 75 F 100 [short bed], the later bodies Do look better! Wouldn't that beige/biscuit color, be a match for Buttercup Squash? Btw, on the 79 truck, with some coveralls, dirty hat, & make your beard gray, you can play like Uncle Jessie! YeeeHaaa!:popcorn:

Love both trucks excited to see where they go. Especially the 79. I learned to drive a 79 F150 Long bed super crew. That sucker was long. 351 with and auto though. I love the bullnose fords. Might have something to do with me driving one all during high school and college. That 2wd went more places than most peoples 4wd. Man was I young and dumb.....

I was going to ask about the silver 7 too, but @orange150 beat me to it dammit. :lol:

Since you said potentially needing 38's...I know a guy. What size wheel? The other difficulty is the whole transport thing, because the last time I looked up freight quotes, it was pretty horrendous. At least if I actually wanted to keep any moneys from the tars.

Other than that. Furd looks good! (Can't believe I just said that....must be all the WFH talking.)

All new steering components

20201103_181929.jpg

20201103_163812.jpg

You need to name the 78 Peanut. And update the thread title. ;)

So the minute I finished the lift, I left out for a test drive. And ironically it was just after @rcalexander105 needed a hand moving his 78. So I went straight over to his house.

It was getting dark. Didn't think much about it.

When I left it was straight up dark. And it's been YEARS since I drove a sealed beam headlight vehicle in the dark. Granted, my YJ is sealed beam...but they're modern sylvania units.
The headlights on buttercup are one step above an actual candle o_O

I had no choice but to upgrade.

20201103_190439.jpg

20201105_162237.jpg

Holy moses these units are stinking awesome!!
I think I may actually wire the DRL. Still not sure. But these are the best plug and play headlights I've ever experienced

Back