Buttercup

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
First off.....This is a stupid hobby!!!

So a few weeks ago @doc posted a 78 F250 Long bed 2wd Freebie.

Always wanted a 78/79 long bed 4x4. Never been a priority, but if I ever ran across one.....

well...you can't get better than FREE.

So I trailered up Shaq and headed south. Once I arrived at his place, I saw the 78 and was pretty excited. It was in nearly rust-free condition. Straight, and everything looked good. Of course Doc had swapped in an older grille, but we will soon remedy that.
We chatted for a bit, and he was telling me about some of his projects. Then I spotted the grille of an 85/86 F150 4x4. For some reason I've always liked those too. I was curious what his plans were for it....and he said "It's for sale" :eek: That he got it from @guffey24 and he just has too many projects. And wants to focus on the important ones. I figured since he was smart enough to stat becoming more focused, I mind as well be dumb and jump right into the position he's wanting to get out of :shaking: I mean, What could go wrong?
Problem is, I really need to check my pickle jar buried in the back yard and see what I'm able to do.

So after the most dangerous/reckless loading attempt ever made outside of a Jack-ass video I strapped down the 78 and headed home. Stopped at the sac-o-suds to tighten any loose straps and grasp the reality of how we actually loaded this non-running tank onto my trailer and no bus full of nuns got killed.... And...take a pic of course

20201009_151211.jpg

I arrived home and unloaded the 78. And contemplated where I'm now going to keep all these "trucks" should the pickle jar prove there's fundage available. I have room...but do I really want another project?

I mean, I still have another project at @amcjeepman place o_O

Grabbed the shovel, and started digging for my jar. To my surprise I had enough to make the trip back down to Docs. This was good AND bad at the same time.

The following monday I trailered up Shaq and repeated the mission once again. Only this time I was able to drive the 86 on the trailer withOUT using Doc as a bumper to protect Shaq from 2 tons of parts barreling down his steep driveway toward him silently with no backup plan.
I strapped the 86 down and paid the man, and I was on my way once again.
This time I was quite a bit more excited. And.....I really wasn't sure why. I mean I've WANTED a 78/79 for so long....but, only really "Liked" the 85/86. Never really having any intentions of OWNING one. But for some reason..this one really SPOKE to me.

Usually when a vehicle "speaks" to me....I give it a name. The 78 is cool. But it's been a very quiet vehicle. Hasn't said anything. The whole ride home...it just looked like it was pouting.
When I parked it, again...didn't really say anything other than giving me a look of "OK so I'll sit HERE now :rolleyes:"
The 86 on the otherhand...the whole ride home looked like a goofy Labrador puppy I was bringing home from a breeder.
I fired it up and pulled it off the trailer and immediately washed it. You really get to know a vehicle by washing it. It was during this bath that it spoke up and named itself:

"Buttercup"

No idea where that came from...but here's Buttercup as I got it.

20201020_170118.jpg

Nice set of 33" mud tars, on 92-96 fool size rims.

20201020_170137.jpg

20201020_170157.jpg

After a good bath I pulled it around back...to try and minimize the "hoarders vehicle edition"

20201019_182705.jpg

The wife and I went to dinner and when we came back I pulled around back to show her where I was parking it, and she started humming the theme to Sanford and Son :(

Anyway...one of the bonuses to this purchase was the fact that it came with a "brand new in a box" 2.5" lift

So the following weekend I pulled it in the middle bay for some deconstruction

20201023_060823.jpg

I removed the front wheels to discover a SMIDGE of rust

20201026_165837.jpg

I had to regroup and head to Advance to buy a case of PB blaster. Also went to the office and nabbed all the cardboard I could get my hands on to make cleanup easier.

Finally got the old stuff off

20201024_180208.jpg

It took all weekend to JUST get the front done. I had forgotten how much I hated lifting TTB fronts. What a pain in the ass.

Anyway...the rear was super simple. But in the process of impacting so many old bolts buttercup shed nearly 2 mason jars of rust onto the floor.

She looks a WHOLE lot better with an attitude....er altitude adjustment!

20201031_133949.jpg

So good I moved her up to the front :huggy:

20201029_174649.jpg

The interior cleaned up pretty well too

20201101_155636.jpg

I'm very happy with it. I really could just drive this truck and be happy...and that MAY be what I do for a while. But...I can't leave anything alone. It may be down the road, but.....
Plans include:

Clearcote the paint AS-IS (typically I hate green with a passion..this one is different)
Motor work
Headers
Duals
Potentially tons
Potentially 38's

When did you get the silver CJ? o_O
I've had it for a while. Since before my shop actually

20181118_153322.jpg

Another purchase similar to buttercup. Went with @Nakoma to look at a toyota...ended up with a Jeep for myself :rolleyes:

20181118_102943.jpg

Haha

my Dad bought that truck brand new from Ken Wilson Ford, never in the shop once that I can remember, several years after he bought it the check engine light came on, or what he called the dummy light, he put black tape over it and went on about his business, some emissions crap he said

he worked for General Electric for 40 years before he passed at a young age, he drove that truck from work to home 5 days a week from 1985 to 2005

miss the truck, but miss my Dad way more

Truck looks great

Haha

my Dad bought that truck brand new from Ken Wilson Ford, never in the shop once that I can remember, several years after he bought it the check engine light came on, or what he called the dummy light, he put black tape over it and went on about his business, some emissions crap he said

he worked for General Electric for 40 years before he passed at a young age, he drove that truck from work to home 5 days a week from 1985 to 2005

miss the truck, but miss my Dad way more

Truck looks great

@guffey24 I did not think you would mind it going to another good home...my wife still mentions the trip up to get her and how nice you & your family were.

Dang fine looking truck! Manual to boot! I'd left the BIG LONG BED all day for that one.

Now this thing just need some touches to the power plant so it can do some nice smokey burnouts.

I gave him a Saturday drinking beers parts list...and a shop full rebuild price. I might have to forego my weekly finance guy manicures to get my hands dirty for boo-thang.

I'm down to sling wrenches , as long as a suitable beer is present.

Frankly, I'm disappointed you let Troy haul a sketchy load...you're one of like 3 people I've ever met where I silently say 'holy shit'...so I'm sure you coulda put that truck across your shoulders and walked it to his house.

Is that a T19?

Is that a T19?
<shudders>
Dad's 86 F350 dump truck had a T19. I'm not sure how it had any clutch left with that stupid high first gear. And to think we used to lug around a 7k pound truck, 3k pound trailer, and 9k pound dozer with that undergeared T19 and underpowered 6.9IDI.

I'm fairly certain it is
The shifter looks T19ish. A 435 is, or should be a direct bolt in swap. They're getting tougher to find. I scour FB and Craig looking for spare stuff for my Jeep. I can keep my eyes peeled for a 435/205 combo if you're interested.

The shifter looks T19ish. A 435 is, or should be a direct bolt in swap. They're getting tougher to find. I scour FB and Craig looking for spare stuff for my Jeep. I can keep my eyes peeled for a 435/205 combo if you're interested.
Actually....in just a brief search, it SHOULD be either a t18 or np435.

According to this, it's the NP435 because
NP435-shifter.gif
that's my gear pattern

Actually....in just a brief search, it SHOULD be either a t18 or np435.

According to this, it's the NP435 because
NP435-shifter.gif
that's my gear pattern
A good way to check... Crank it up, put it in first and let off the clutch as quick as you can. If it's still running, it's a 435. :D
Or just peel the boot back and look for the aluminum cover.

Back