Bus/RV Towrig project

Ken, is your 5500 onan diesel? If so, where did you find it? New/used?

Ken, is your 5500 onan diesel? If so, where did you find it? New/used?

yes it is a 5500 Onan. I got it used off CL, used

yes it is a 5500 Onan. I got it used off CL, used

Diesel? Thats awesome! Did it come with the radiator and everything needed to run it?

auto corrected against my will...

Its gas and air cooled.

Gotcha. My diesel pusher motorhome has an LP, air cooled onan. I've always wanted to change it to a diesel one. Man, they are hard to find used! Great looking paint job by the way!

auto corrected against my will...

took another trip and as always learned something new :)

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_1613.jpg

I need to look into installing either Big Foot leveling system or something like that.. I ended up on a steep grade parking spot this weekend

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_1564.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_1565.jpg

The leveling systems are sweet. Mine is old school though. I don't have the auto leveling kind, just four hydraulic jacks operated from the drivers set. I've talked with others that don't like the auto leveling types. They say it levels the coach too high off the ground.

ya I want the manual ones.. but I do need to get something.. it was a pain to stack wood and get it level and it never was 100%

well had another great beach trip but found even more stuff I want to fix :) to much air noise while driving so need to get it all sealed up also found out I am HEAVY :) I buried the bus in the camp spot about 12" deep.. oops but the Avalanche did well and pulled it right out :)

yup. my ugly mug while driving :)

img_1701.jpg

I also hit 970,000 miles on odomter..

img_1713.jpg

here is the next area I am gonna tackle..

all the stuff under the dash.. I am pretty sure it is all from the old onboard a/c which I do not have so should be able to rip it all out and make some nice storage

img_1717.jpg

Ken, rule of thumb for you. Always keep the drive wheels on solid ground. You can drag the steer axle through anything...

Just a little humor for you.

Wow! It's really starting to look sharp! I'm so glad you picked this up Ken. I would never have been able to do a fraction of the work, especially the heavy stuff in the basement, etc. This will be something you and your family will enjoy, heck, for life given how you take care of things!

Very cool. :beer:

Ken, three of mine had a three jack leveling system. The reason for this was you cannot twist the frame or put the coach in a bind. I know you don't have a frame but it might be something to consider. Visone's RV salvage might be a source for the leveling system, I have dealt with them and will again.

well found an air leak under the bus.. and since my bus has about 4" of ground clearance when aired down I had to get it up in the air and then let the air out so I can change the hose

took 4 railroad ties and then used the chainsaw to cut an angle to drive up on them.. worked great.

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_1996.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_2001.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_1998.jpg

and just because I can :)

got a great deal on this but did not want to use space inside the rv so I found it would fit under.. this will not be an every trip use but will be nice to have when we do long trips or when wheeling is muddy and I can throw a loud in and when I get home they are all clean :)

it is wash and dry all in one unit..

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_2258.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_bus_img_2259.jpg

Looking good. Does the bus lean to that side now? :lol:

Can't believe that fits - nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it fit but man it was tight.. Brett lost some skin on his finger that night :)

Back