Budget 93 Yota Extended Cab

good looking truck so far. I'll add x1442367 on the SAS. you definitely should consider it. unless you just absolutely want a link setup, you can build a very inexpensive (but well built) SAS kit yourself by piecing it together. Toyota rears up front, Chevy 63's in the rear, a good used axle (there are LOTS of them out there!), etc., and you're wheeling!

Heres some pictures of the exhaust install and the original problem. IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0415.JPGIMG_0416.JPGIMG_0417.JPGIMG_0418.JPGIMG_0419.JPG

Many Years since I have updated the old girl.
Recently got her back to life after fighting through a bunch of engine troubles.
Some of the plagues included surging idle, leaking valve cover, and worst of all bad timing.

Surging idle was eventually fixed after changing out vacuum hoses, and sealing up idle screw. Turns out it actually was a simple coolant sensor that went bad.

On to the next was the valve cover started pissing oil, simple enough was due for a clean and change.

Worst of all was a long battle with timing issues. Started off with my distributor exploding while at a stoplight. Unfortunately had to take it to Toyota in Boone who put a new one in immediately. Seemed to fix it but still had a terrible issue with timing over the next month or so. Had it inspected again by Toyota and they deemed it was a warped crankshaft.

They told me i needed a new bottom end, but I disagreed and decided to chase demons myself. I changed the TPS, Mass Airflow, and checked every connection in the engine. Nothing worked still.

Took it to a local shop here in Belews Creek and the guy said to check my distributor again. Turn out toyota put a 22r distributor in my 22re engine.

Long story short never trust a dealership to do anything correctly.

New distributor, OEM of course, and some timing adjustments had the old gal running like a new engine.

That's what I thought!!
As soon as they said warped crank I said goodbye give me my money back.
In the guys defense i think he may have been referring to the crank key way being misaligned possibly but I was just fed up at that point.

Currently I'm running 33x10.5 BFG AT/KO's on stock toyota rims.
In addition i have also added new 4.88 gears front and rear from a 95 4runner, turns those 33's like stock tires.
Cold Air Intake remounted and cleaned up.

Ill have pictures up in next couple days.

Picking up Bucket seats tmrw and will get to work on rebuilding the suspension for the rear soon.
Four years in the mountains really did a number on the underbelly, lots of cleaning, wire brush and paint needs to be done.

Back