Budget 93 Yota Extended Cab

JRicci

I have a 93 Toyota Pickup Extra Cab given to me when i was 15.
5 speed 22re with no modifications.
Been slowly working on it over the past 4 years and now am in college so my progress (money) has slowed down. I do almost all the work myself except for major engine work. It sitting at 189,000 miles and is still running amazingly well.
Things i have done include
Custom Intake, Custom 2 Ball Joint Lift with shackels in rear and shocks, Custom Rock sliders, Way to much rewiring to fix electrical crap, modified dual case skid plate for my single case, new paint, and other various odds and ends to make it my own.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 475
Rock Sliders being built and then bedlined. My boy nick helped with welding and thats his jeep.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 471
Got some wheels and 33 BFG Mud Terrains. Sadly had to sell them and just keep my 31 General AT's. Loved the 33's but need to regear before i step up to that.
I lifted with a custom lift including ball joint spacers and 2 inch shackels out back.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 524
Plans for the summer 2012 include dual cases possible if i can get a good deal. I am upgrading the sliders with additions onto it. Also front and rear bupers will be put on. Rear i want to build myself but the front will be from Addicted Offroad or CBI offroad.
Also E-Locker swap is in the future with u-bolt and rear differential armor.
4.56 gears from a 95 runner will be swapped in so i can move up to 33 inch tires.
Im moving into a house next year in Boone where i go to college so i will be able to have room to work rather than a parking lot of my apartment where they frown on major worko_O.

Sounds like you have a good lil list for the summer. What kind of dual setup are you wanting to run? Any plans on SAS? I really like this body style yotas, especially the extra cabs

im going with just two stock cases 2.28 becasue of it being my daily driver i will however have to have the front case foward shift so that it can work with my current 5speed. So entire drive train will be 22re to 5speed to foward shift case to adapter to top shift case to outputs. I want to sas eventually but i can afford it currently. I want to do a 3 link front with 63 chevey swap rear. My plan is to build it up now as far as i can on current ifs and then when i cant go any further i will sas it.

Plans for the summer 2012 include dual cases possible if i can get a good deal. I am upgrading the sliders with additions onto it. Also front and rear bupers will be put on. Rear i want to build myself but the front will be from Addicted Offroad or CBI offroad.
Also E-Locker swap is in the future with u-bolt and rear differential armor.
4.56 gears from a 95 runner will be swapped in so i can move up to 33 inch tires.
Im moving into a house next year in Boone where i go to college so i will be able to have room to work rather than a parking lot of my apartment where they frown on major worko_O.

Too bad to already put in the sliders, a 1" body lift does wonders to help w/ the tire clearance etc w/ only very minimal ugliness. But if you're even considering that at all, be sure to do it before the bumper change. You can make the set w/ UHMW rod + hardware for <$20.

Honestly I wouldn't bother w/ the 4.56s if 33s are your goal, unless you can score them super cheap or free, iff 33s are your goal. Get the 4.88s. That puts it back at just a hair over stock ratio. You'll find that waay better.

Keep an eye on your CV angle w/ those BJ spacers. Its now alot easier to bind/break 'em, plus you'll find the idler arm bending and bushings wearing out, esp once you get the bigger tires. I ran them for years, they are a great cheap/quick solution but cause other problems in the long run.

Also, re: the e-locker swap - in the long run if at all possible you're better off just swapping the whole axle. Its actually less work, and if you get one from a 4runner it will have rear disc brakes.

Good luck, doing this on a college budget isn't easy.

A buddy of mine (who's now SAS) had the ball joint spacers on his 4Runner and he would always break idler arms. Nothing horrible, but if you don't keep a spare then it makes getting it out hell

A buddy of mine (who's now SAS) had the ball joint spacers on his 4Runner and he would always break idler arms. Nothing horrible, but if you don't keep a spare then it makes getting it out hell

3 tricks to that.
1 - get the AutoZone one w/ lifetime replacements. Bend one - take it back, get a free replacement. BTDT probably 6+times. As mentioned, keep a spare.
2 - get the brass bushings from SDORI. Best $30 I ever spent. They do NOT wear out, and are super easy to replace w/ the crappy OE plastic.
3 - make a truss/brace for it, pretty simple. Or buy one from Blazeland on Yotatech.

I have aspare idler arm in my kit for wheeling cause ive already experiencecd a broken one. I am going to truss it this summer hopefully. i will have to look into the 4.88's. Unfortunately my front diff had the right shaft diss engage from the housing so i have to fix that after exams. If the ring or pinion is damaged i will jsut go 4.88's front and rear. Im keeping the Ball joint spacer for the time until i can SAS. i have already started bracing and making alot of prototype braces from under the rear ifs behind the diff and also the upper and lower arms. I just want it to be strong so it can handle the extra pressure and wear from the spacers. Also i may have some new stronger torsion bars coming my way cheap.

As i see it the price of the spacers, new torsion bars, and all the problems your haveing or will have. A sas seems cheap. Think about this. you can bastard sas a yota for under $500 if you take your time and do it right.

Problem really isnt money (even though id rather do it right the first time) i just really havent decided if sas is appropriate to do right now. It ride amazing with all the mods ive done right now and with me in college i can take a day away from my car. Also it technicaly is still my dads name so that complicates things further. Once the name is changed to me i would do it in an instance.

Go ahead and sas that thing and throw some one tons and 42's under it lol, do it right the first time and not have to worry about it. Damn good to see im not the only one in our small town that builds toyotas. Gonna have to do some wheeling when you get that thing done.

Man, Belews Creek isnt a small town... Pudding swamp is a small town! Yall got a hell of a hot rod builder up there. Hot Rod magazine pays visits up there to see his work.

Man, Belews Creek isnt a small town... Pudding swamp is a small town! Yall got a hell of a hot rod builder up there. Hot Rod magazine pays visits up there to see his work.
Yes sir you are right. There are some beautiful rides that come from that shop. I've actually had the pleasure of going inside and checking out some of the cars. As a matter of fact Atleast one of the owners sons is on this forum and I think both are.

good lookin toyota. I run the bj spaces also, but with a 2in BL. I daily drove it for 2 years in high school on 33s and stock gearing. Then got out of school and put 35s on it lol. I know what your saying about college. I just graduated and what a relief. Now its work til ya die!!!

"Yes sir you are right. There are some beautiful rides that come from that shop. I've actually had the pleasure of going inside and checking out some of the cars. As a matter of fact Atleast one of the owners sons is on this forum and I think both are."

Thats cool! I got to speak to Jerry Pitt (one of the editors from Hot Rod magazine) when I won at Z Max a couple summers ago. They were hosting a deal out there. He was asking me if I knew the guy. I didnt, but I had heard good things about his work. Pitt was pretty excited to get up to Belews Creek and see a Mustang (I think) he was building or had just finished. Not sure if I have seen the finished ride yet, but Pitt gets to see the best in the country and he said this guys work was exciting.

Couple updates for the fall. I installed a new LCEngineering pro flow exhaust to replace my rusted out old one. It sounds quite nice and even picked up a little power with it.Over winter i plan to get my rear bumper designed so i can get it cut and then have it welded up. Ill have some drawing of that and pictures of latest mods up in the next few days.

Back