Bridge to replace "Stream Ledge" on Dickey Bell

The stream-side rock ledge is completely gone
ai204.photobucket.com_albums_bb129_78cherokee_URE_20Workday_209_18_10_100_2391.jpg

just a concrete footing is there now.

To my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) that little piece of Dickey Bell was added on as the "Dickey Bell Connector". Its purpose was to allow ATVs/Dirt Bikes to travel from Falls Dam and loop up through Dickey Bell without going on the road. It was (and may technically still be) an ATV/Dirt bike only section of the trail.
Looking back at my old maps, the Dickey Bell Connector was originally ATV only, and was opened to all OHV traffic in 2001. I was at the so called "ceremony" intended to honor the fact that all trails were now open to all OHV traffic. This was the well remembered occasion when a not-so-famous Head Ranger stood in the back of a pickup truck, at the double parking lot, and gave a short speech including his famous quote of: "maybe it would be a good idea if you folks found another place to ride." That was when my workday career took a hard slide downhill, and I still haven't made it all the way back.

I do, however, want to add that I think our present head Ranger is great and I hope we never loose her, but always keep in mind that it's the government we're dealing with.

Back