Bridge to replace "Stream Ledge" on Dickey Bell

HannahWCU

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else on this forum (I searched and didn't find anything) ... I was on Dickey Bell today and there were some guys surveying the stream crossing (Marked "Stream Ledge" on the map in the other thread). I asked them what they were doing. They said that they were marking where the bridge was going. They said that by the end of October there would be a bridge to cross the stream. They also said there are other contractors doing similar work around the trails.

Now as a regular users of the trails at Uwharrie I don't like loosing an obstacle, BUT I am glad that the Forest Service is taking action to reduce the likelihood that the Uwharrie Trail System doesn't meet the same fate as Tellico. I know there will be MANY people not happy about the bridge due to the loss of the obstacle (and therefore making the trail "easier"). But I also realize that erosion and water quality issues are easy targets for Environmentalists. So if building a bridge reduces the chance of a trail closure, I am ALL for it.

I have posted the news about the bridge going in a couple of places over the past few months. But it seems like information gets lost easily on here. I bumped the "OHV Trail Report" thread also for others interested in what the contractors are doing out there etc. The OHV Trail Report needs to be stickied really.

Thanks for bringing this up again, because I am sure most have forgotten or don't even know that the bridge is going in. Its not that big of an obstacle but if you are a fan of it, wheel it now before the bridge goes in.

I have posted the news about the bridge going in a couple of places over the past few months. But it seems like information gets lost easily on here. I bumped the "OHV Trail Report" thread also for others interested in what the contractors are doing out there etc. The OHV Trail Report needs to be stickied really...

why do you think information gets lost?
post up 5 threads of useful information, people might read five threads.
post up 200 threads debating what sticker should go on the volunteer bobcats, people probably read zero threads.

post up 200 threads debating what sticker should go on the volunteer bobcats, people probably read zero threads.
:lol:

:smokin:

Supposedly a pre-fab bridge. We are having serious issues with the cable/log bridges right now. They are hurting us in some spots.

The log bridges have been a bigger pain in the butt to the FS than what they are worth as a bridge.

How are they a pain? They seem to be the one "improvement" that has lasted.

There will be another (if not allready) permanent bridge going in on rocky mnt. loop also.

What type of bridge?

How do they plan on keeping them from washing away?

How are they a pain? They seem to be the one "improvement" that has lasted.

What type of bridge?

How do they plan on keeping them from washing away?
The log bridges are held together/in place by steel cables. They move and shift out of place and the cables rust very quickly and then break when the logs shift.

The bridge going in is most probably an open mesh deck pre-fab type bridge that will not "float" if the water level surpasses the deck height, and therefore stay in place. But I am just guessing here.

That was an obstacle?:confused:

Teresa told me about this bridge going up way back in the beginning of the year before the trails re-opened. Seems I remember her saying something about sediment run-off and erosion. The bridge was going to fix that so the trail did not have to be closed or diverted.

I've noticed the rock face on the other side has been starting to erode and become more dug out. It was a great obstacle in the making! Still though, I'd rather see a bridge than any trail being closed.

hearing of a bridge going up reminds me of hard water crossing on trail 5 in Tellico several years ago just before it closed.

I hope its not reality, but it seems/sounds like URE is 1 step closer to closure...

hopefully the management of URE is better than Tellico to keep it from happening

I don't think it's close to closure at all. Terry Savery made mention this was being done to keep the trail open and prevent further damage.

When you gonna be back to URE Sal? You get the running boards replaced yet?
I'm coming up for this work day since I missed the last one looking forward to hanging out again. No I still have my running board/sliders on :lol: The sliders for my XK still aint out yet so still waiting.

Rode out there today and rode around a little and they got the section closed off now. The contractors were out there looking at it and what not. Said its going to be a steel bridge of some sort with a wood decking. Said it should be done by the end of October.

To my understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) that little piece of Dickey Bell was added on as the "Dickey Bell Connector". Its purpose was to allow ATVs/Dirt Bikes to travel from Falls Dam and loop up through Dickey Bell without going on the road. It was (and may technically still be) an ATV/Dirt bike only section of the trail. If you look back at some of the older maps you will see this noted:

uwharrie_map2.gif

If you have ever rode on that part of Dickey Bell in a larger/full size vehicle you can attest to how tight it is, with some tight turns. This is because it wasn't originally meant for OHV use (Jeeps,Trucks, etc). So it has gotten a lot more erosion/wear etc than expected and according to the higher ups at Ashville is an issue that needs to be taken care of. So they are putting in a bridge to do that. I just don't know how much of the "easy ledge" after the stream crossing will be left.

A few times when we have done regular trail maintenance, we have just sent one or two vehicles up the short parts of the trail because it is so short and not much maintenance is really required there, just puddles...oh and the center console I picked up off the ground near the stream on the last work day :rolleyes:

hearing of a bridge going up reminds me of hard water crossing on trail 5 in Tellico several years ago just before it closed.
I hope its not reality, but it seems/sounds like URE is 1 step closer to closure...
hopefully the management of URE is better than Tellico to keep it from happening
The Bridges and all the Trail work is to keep URE from closing. These are preventative steps to help keep environmentalists from doing what they did at Telico.
As for the bridge, here is a link to the bid that went for the bridge. It includes a detail drawing for the Bridge (LINK).

Thanks for the link!

There will be less traffic now on that part of the trail.

Guess I will get to see what is going on for myself this coming weekend

Those of us that went to the forestry service meeting a month or two ago were assured by the forestry service that there is NO danger of URE falling to the same fate as tellico. they they had 20 years of good trail planning and management. Something Tellico did not.

There was an EPA audit of the trail systems and roads and the only RED flags that popped up were the horses not staying on the trails (causing damage to undergrowth and forest floor).

There were a few culverts under the main roadways there were flagged, but work has already been started to correct that.

The log bridges and the new bridges are not like the tellico bridge. They are precautionary measures, not band aides to existing problems.

The forestry service said the the OHV came out of the audit comepletly under the radar of the EPA. the new bridges will help keep it that way =)

You mean you have to take care of something you want to keep for a long time? :confused:

Thanks for all the updates everyone!

Back