bobbed 2.5ton m35

LowRange4x4

picked up a new personal toy... a 71 AM General m35 2.5ton truck... the truck was gotten out of the weeds in Carolina Beach for a screaming deal...it has sat for 2 years... put a new battery in it and it started right up... runs really good... that's the good news...the bad is how rusted out the bed is from sitting down at the beach... James(ohv_KJ) and I talked and decided to bobb it and make it Low Range 4x4 grocery getter/trail truck... this is a continuing build and i'll post up any changes that are done...

this to do list

-fix rust problem
-fix lights, windows,
-take off old bed and prep
-relocate steps, battery box, and tank
-buy a 1.5ton trailer
-cut out the 2nd rear axle
-add the 1.5ton trailer top and springs
-6-8 46 XML mich tires

this is pics of it the day it came to the shop
DSC04086.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

we do plan on wheeling this as well... to give u an idea of what one looks like, here is a bobbed 2.5ton truck. Our will be modeled like that except the tank and steps will be gone

anotherbobbeddeuce.jpg

If james and I are going to wheel this truck it would be better to see the front tires...what i'm doing with that is;

this is the stock location of the turn signal and fender, notice the rust
DSC04089.jpg

I plan on cutting out this section, then move the bent side of the fender inward...i also moved the light in closer to the truck
DSC04088.jpg

here you can see the difference between the pass. side and driver
DSC04100.jpg

some closer pics of the fenders... i also cut the back of the fender flush with the body
DSC04102.jpg

DSC04103.jpg

I think I would have moved the light to the top and flatfendered it, but I like the project.

One of the locals wants to do this. He has a nice m35 he uses as his tow rig and camper atm.

i know where there is one for sale in the triad area with trailer if someone is intersted. pm me for details . not mine but bought some parts from the guy....he is in walkertown.

well no recent pics... but we did pick up a crome 6" stack, which will be the only bling. got a bigger air intake of of a peterbuilt truck, but not sure if we will be using that... oh and we ordered 5 395/20 XML's these come out to be 46" tall... also have finished one side of prep on the fender and almost done on the other side... soon to be painted... we have taken off the doors, and are about to relocate the batteries in the cab... lots of pics on monday

Front is basically done... just need a new bumper

DSC04107.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04109.jpg

bed is off the truck and trailer has been bought... cut the bolts out and winch the bed onto a trailer to go to the scrap yard...worked out nice... pics to come

James........Look at what we test drove today......I believe some bigger tires and a little tweaky may be in order so we can hang with ya'll!
IMG00579.jpg

James........Look at what we test drove today......I believe some bigger tires and a little tweaky may be in order so we can hang with ya'll!
View attachment 20063
My brother used to have one almost exactly like that, but soft top and he sold it over the summer. And now my dad has one just like that but diff kind of green.
Those really are the best as offroad campers/tow rig's!
After we sell a few cars we are hoping to put my dad's on 395's, essentially 47's, and are the biggest tire you can fit with stock wheelbase and on stock rims.
Here's my bro' and dad's current ones.
ai286.photobucket.com_albums_ll81_mharding72_PA_20Deuce_20Recovery_DSCN3036.jpg

these things are cool. have been wheelin with one but never got a chance to drive it. i almost talked my boss into getting one just for fun.

nice build. love those m35 leaf springs hahaha

Back