"Blast from the Past" 79' RV restore

The secondary top plates actually control the fuel metering rods so no you cannot force them open and them work properly. If the choke plate is not fully opening the secondary flaps will not open due to a mechanical lockout on the right side of the carb. Get the choke adjusted so that it fully opens and then I can walk you through the rest.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
828-779-2242
ok I think i can handle adjusting the choke...will try that tomorrow and report back, thank you.

or go pick up a book, either from Haynes or "How to rebuild and modify Rochester Quadrajet carburetors" by Cliff Ruggles and study up on how they work. Many perfectly good carbs of all brands have been ruined by someone rigging something or adjusting things they have no business doing, b
yeah I suck at reading and comprehending so I'm a hand on/piddle with kinda learner...just start messing with something and learn but Carbs I've tried a few back in my days and messed them up more so i gave up lol. They just aren't my thing and leave that to the pros. I should be able to do the choke once engine is warm so will get that and see what happens, thanks and have a good night to yall!!

The secondary top plates actually control the fuel metering rods so no you cannot force them open and them work properly. If the choke plate is not fully opening the secondary flaps will not open due to a mechanical lockout on the right side of the carb. Get the choke adjusted so that it fully opens and then I can walk you through the rest.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
828-779-2242
hey what do you know, i figured out how to adjust the choke plate. i remembered it was the thing on the side that says rich/lean and lo and behold I loosened the 3screw and voila, now it opens all the way when hot...waiting to cool down to see how it acts when cold but at least hot they were open. I fixed the 2 vacuum leaks that I didn't realize I had, One being at the line that goes to the trans up-shift thing so i imagine that will shift even better/smoother now. I haven't test driven it yet but so far this morning I've gotten this far.
Our first official fishing trip is this weekend with this beast so very exited to put it on the road for a real trip!!

Cooling system little issue: new water pump, new thermostat, new coolant and flushed factory radiator really good several times which looks to be in really good shape. Only issue is the top hose stays very stiff so is this air in the system? it runs little above the 180 (180thermostat) and when I was dogging the heck out of it around town/highway, got up to 200 never higher. When I drove it home from sitting for 12yrs, it ran right at 160 with a 160Tstat that I took out so trying to figure out what changed..Air?? it's a crazy system to bleed air from as the cap is on the top hose and very difficult/stupid place they put it. If there's anything else I'm missing would love some help otherwise I'm thinking it's just air somehow still trapped in the system and needs to be bled again...thanks a bunch. try to keep up with responses throughout the day. Happy 4th everyone!!

Unless it's different, most cooling systems are designed to bleed the air themselves. I would just keep an eye on the level while driving it.

I wouldn't worry about the engine until it gets over 220 or so for an extended time.

So you have a shroud on the fan/rad?

Unless it's different, most cooling systems are designed to bleed the air themselves. I would just keep an eye on the level while driving it.

I wouldn't worry about the engine until it gets over 220 or so for an extended time.

So you have a shroud on the fan/rad?
Yes the factory shroud fan and clutch is all there.

Does it have a clutch fan on it? If so, might wanna change that out. If it don't, I'd consider one. Seems they run cooler cruising down the road.

If it was designed for a 160 tstat the it may be able to stabilize at 160 but not 180 because of physics and math ando I know you hate those things

If it was designed for a 160 tstat the it may be able to stabilize at 160 but not 180 because of physics and math ando I know you hate those things
Oh I thought little higher was better but maybe that's just fuel injection. Will change that if it doesn't hold but after bleeding again and test driving it hard in first gear it held 180 no problem.
Oh and the 4barrels work awesome now that the choke plate is adjusted properly, thank u guys for ur help on that.
Now onto hunting down a coil for generator...tried it today and no spark, bummer.

really nice work on the interior and exterior-looks good as new on the outside and the open floor
plan is a nice touch. keep tinkerin with the little problems you got and it'll all work out.
good job john keep it up.

I worked on RV's for one year.. that was enough for me. But I did enjoy reading and seeing your progress. Well done. You were correct to gut it, wood when rotted is worse than steel ever dreamed, Cancer spreads fast and makes RV's junk.

really nice work on the interior and exterior-looks good as new on the outside and the open floor
plan is a nice touch. keep tinkerin with the little problems you got and it'll all work out.
good job john keep it up.
thanks bud. I was weary about the open floor plan at first if ever doesn't work out and we want to sell but now that's it's complete, I really like it and most everyone who has seen either pictures or in person loves the "open concept" apartment simple layout. I do admit the factory setup on most RVs like this and similar are very cluttered and hardly no seating room for more than a few comfortably...even then 3-4 people feels cramped if you're trying to cook or move around so for camping and Off road parks hanging out with people, there will always be ample amount of seating space without getting in each others way.

Today I got turn signals fixed, brake lights fixed, parking lights fixed...had to cut a hole in the back corner...freaking power wire to the rear lights had rubbed through contacting metal frame and HOLY CRAP almost caught the RV on fire, smoke coming out the back walls lol. I guess since it sat for 15yrs almost and now being driven, moving around especially on my sideways driveway, it rubbed through all the way where it was weak already...right where the wires for tail lights come through the body it was hitting that sharp part of the sheet-metal. All good now, replaced the whole side and the other and did continuity check on the rest and all is good. When I had it gutted I should've checked closer where it went through the wall right there but only thought to check all the inside wiring and not where it goes outside through the walls. A little close for comfort on that today but got her fixed up and ready for this weekend. Drove it again today pretty hard around here testing out the cooling system again and holds right at 180 no problem now after burping it and I gotta say: Either I'm just not used to 454 power or from factory this is high HP motor or this must really weight significant amount less cause DAM ....for the size and weight of this thing, it freaking hauls ass!!! 0-40 is stupid fast for such a big RV (to me) and couple people commented who were next to me one of times giving it hell. This makes me have some good hope that it should pull my Trailer and Jeep no problem since it feels so torqi. Maybe that's just old school big blocks but either way, very strong motor and power and I'm willing to bet money it still ain't running right...I don't know carbs all that well but I can still tell it's not 100% all there, probably 85%. New bigger carb will be in the plans for the future along with long tube headers as these factory cast ones suck and those emission holes leak a little everywhere but works for now. Wait till yall see those factory chrome/stainless hub caps...HOOWII man they look Brand New, no lie. I couldn't believe it. From little distance and beyond, looks like some fancy chrome wheels on there, I mean no scratches or blemishes in them at all...absolutely amazing. Really stands out with the pain job!!

those electrical problems can be a bear sometimes to figure out.
just gotta give you props for working out in this heat and getting your tow/camp rig going.
not too many people would stick with it and figure it out. i hope it gives you good service
in the future and you and your family get many happy miles out of it.

those electrical problems can be a bear sometimes to figure out.
just gotta give you props for working out in this heat and getting your tow/camp rig going.
not too many people would stick with it and figure it out. i hope it gives you good service
in the future and you and your family get many happy miles out of it.
thanks dude, I hope so too. This weekend will find out what wife thinks and feels about it. Right now my concern is that it's "Too Big" for her but we'll see,...I hope she likes it as much as I do otherwise gonna have to sell it and go back to regular tow rig. So far putting it around here she was "ok" lol but still sketchy about it. I don't blame her though, feels weird driving/riding in it and I can see even more so for someone with anxiety getting overwhelmed with it's size...the comfort she likes but the size and how it feels going down the road is little unknown. This weekend we will know so I'm hoping all goes well.

I'm not down playing your wife's anxiety but they make drugs for that
she's been there and done that. drugs/medicine isn't for everyone. her healthier diet has made the biggest impact in the last few years which is how we have been able to travel for the first time in decade and she's getting much better. We're going to VA Beach later this month for our first vacation ever and that's 7hrs away so that is HUGE HUGE step and we are both very exited. Thank you for your concern though!

Had fun removing the AC unit from the roof today to reseal the darn thing...:kaioken::kaioken::kaioken:had it parked on flat surface in front of shop last couple days and with hard rain, started leaking since the water gathered in the center around the unit and since we got it, it's been parked on a slant so water always ran off the sides...ARRGGHH!! Fixed it but dam that thing is HEAVY to lift out by yourself and pain in the arrss to put back...all good now but still major pain in the butt.
Tomorrow heading out fishing with it so super exited about that!!!

aimages_na.ssl_images_amazon.com_images_I_51Hf3mrtvRL._AC_UL160_SR160_160_.jpg
can anyone help me figure out if this dual spark coil will work for the Onan Generator. The coil is bad on it, I've tested everything else and coil tests bad according to my results, so was wondering if a universal coil like such will work or would it have to be a "special Onan Generator" replacement coil which are lot more expensive compared to universal ones like such that according to application information on this coil, they are designed to generators to lawnmowers and so on...thank you very much

then I found this one too priced pretty good
Coil high performance rd 4 ohm 12 volt all models 1965/1979 w/mount cp rpls hd 31609-65a-by-V-FACTOR
by V-Factor
Be the first to review this item
Price: $50.92 + $13.84 shipping Estimated Delivery Date: July 13 - 18 when you choose Standard at checkout.
Only 3 left in stock - order soon.
Ships from and sold by ADVENTURER'S BAG.
Thesehigh performance dual fire round coils produce 10% greater output capacity than stock and include a seat post type mount.
  • The two 7mm copper core spark plug wires measure 23" long and can be cut to the desired length.
  • The screw-on tower caps include rubber seals to keep any moisture out
  • aimages_na.ssl_images_amazon.com_images_I_31xCpTiC__L._AC_US160_.jpg

Can you get me the onan part number for the expensive coil .
I might can help

Can you get me the onan part number for the expensive coil .
I might can help
yessir I can try...would it by right on the coil itself? I'll do some digging around. Thank You very much. We are leaving later today so I'm not ignoring you if I don't respond till sunday as we will be away and won't be around internet usage. Pray all goes well with this RV trip!!

For those who would appreciate 37yr old hubcaps in mint condition lol. Ready to roll
They look much better in person.
1467980655324.jpg

well we just made it back home early since the Campground got pretty much shut down and destroyed by this crazy storm that came...OMG!! freaking trees started falling everywhere around us and landed on top of cars, campers and building yet we were safe and protected in the midst of it...Thank God for His Protection!! Everyone was OK though!
As for RV's first Trip, thing ran like a champ...for most part. Just need to "tweak" the carb some more as if you floor it all the way down it bucks a little and then it gets going but power wise, OMG HOLY COW this thing climbed the mountain in 2nd gear at 50 like it was nothing and that was without full power. Either the weight is some affect of it or that 454 is one bad ass motor or both cause I couldn't believe the power band it has. In 3rd gear cruising it kept up with almost any incline up to 20degree and then 3/4throttle in 3rd gear would do pretty well with even steeper...pop it down in 2nd and DAM ....I know I probably sound rediculous and stupid but I've never would've imagined so much umphh from such a big heavy motorhome. I'm willing to bet with a new more efficient carb and properly fully functioning 4barrels working, this thing would keep up with many Gas powered 2500/3500s..not diesels of course but I actually passed a few small/weaker cars up the mountain when WOT in 2nd gear and the 4barrels were properly working at that time, I could tell as that motor was screaming he he. I'm very pleased with it and it rode pretty good. 50-55mph was our max speed and from Boone to Wilkesboro and back we might have burned a complete 1/8"of gas needle (whatever mileage that would intel) I just know the gas needle didn't move very much and both sending units are new in the tanks and accurate. A/C worked awesome but lost power from 8pm friday and on so that was it. I reached 65mph at one point (wife didn't like that) just to see and it seemed just as smooth but scary...big ass tall RV at 65mph is well...scary as hell for me anyways. The tallness is the big factor and that's why 53ish was my comfortable speed...every little gust of wind you can feel it lol, so it was better at slower speed.
Unfortunately the Wife didn't like the ride all that much...Too Big for her which it is kinda top heavy and even slow around curves and the highway smooth curves she wasn't very fond of so right now I'm not sure how she feels about using it all the time as our regular "Tow Rig"....She would love a smaller one and I probably wouldn't mind a smaller one either so might see how that might work out. And of course it's loud/noisy as it's old and not very insulated compared to others so that is little annoying. I probably could get used to it but she has to be comfortable to use this thing every month or so and right now that doesn't look promising. I'm just glad it runs so good, gas mileage seems to be very good for what it is, and with all the mechanical work done to it and low mileage, should be easy to trade/sell for something smaller as that is the route she seems to wanna go. So please nobody give a hard time if you see it for sale on here soon. We tried it but wife and daughter have to feel safe in it so then I can enjoy it.
Just finishing up the build thread with the first outing of it and thanks to everyone for your support, encouragement, and advise. It's been a heck of a project but a very successful one. I really hope to either trade for something smaller or sell and buy one cause I really want one that the family is comfortable using as I like the "idea" and "coolness" of using one to camp and haul with.

Back