"Blast from the Past" 79' RV restore

marty79

Ok ladies and gentlemen, here we go. I got blessed with a free 1979 Fleetwood Southwind 26ft Motorhome/RV 454ci 49K miles 3spd Auto from a good friend and it's going to be restored as complete as I can and be the family vacation home and toy hauler as well. Probably going to be way longer than any project I've ever done (unless finances really boost) but over time, will be mechanically and cosmetically restored and sound!
Plans for Interior: GUT IT ALL OUT completely, start from scratch is my thought so far. Been decade since I've done carpentry/trim work so I'm really exited to get back into that. Will have more details of interior as I start on it but for now its all Demo work and such.
Plans for Drive-train: all new breaks front and rear with hardware, calipers the works, new suspension parts where are most prone to weakness whatever I asses in this, needs entire new driveshafts, might upgrade from hydraulic brakes to power brake booster maybe??
RV phase 1 Drivers side.jpg
RV phase 1 pass side outside.jpg
RV phase 1 Drivers side.jpg
RV phase 1 Front outside.jpg
RV phase 1 pass side outside.jpg
RV phase 1 rear outside.jpg
RV Phase 1 captains area.jpg
RV phase 1 ceiling front area.jpg
RV phase 1 bunk beds.jpg
RV phase 1 bathroom.jpg
RV phase 2 hallway.jpg
RV phase 2 cleaned front.jpg

Transmission: will stay as it shifted like new on the drive home, change fluid/filter/pan service,done.
Engine: Pull heads to replace head gaskets, valve seals, lifters, gasket match intake and heads, port the intake some, replace water pump/thermostat, leave copper radiator as it looks good shape and cools better. Will remove factory a/c compressor and belt, condenser, and air pump. Keep clutch fan but add secondary electric fans for the "climbs"
Exhaust is true dual and good shape so have 2 Flowmaster super 44s to go on it. No cats from factory
Tires: has almost new 8.5x?x16.5 on it, 10 ply Load Range E look really good, no dry rot or cracking so I believe they will stay for now. 2 out of 3 batteries need replacing, already had one for main engine battery and redo some of the wiring.
This thing was fully loaded, self sustaining RV back in the day. Heat, A/C, Fridge, freezer, oven, stove, Air Ride suspension that works (holds air in the bags good front and rear), 4way self leveling system works (amazing little electric jacks I must say), built in inverter, built in generator runs on aux gas tank. Miraculously ALL interior lights work, the gauges work, all accesories work except needs new thermostat for furnace, even the gauge that tells all the batteries/tanks/propane/generator/gas reads properly for each one, amazing. ok, enough chatter for now, here it is.

all that junk is what it looked like when i got it LOL...then last picture is after me and wife and daughter spent time throwing out what was trash, what was tools, and pulled up carpet and tons of paneling to see what we have to work with...it was a HOT MESS as you can see from the pictures at first. Gained bunch of tools though, nice drill, another full socket set lol, god knows how many pliers and masonry tools, gas cans, nice big commercial grade fan, nice vacuum, other misc tools and houshold cleaning stuff and car stuff....bout 7/8 cans of that foam filler stuff so someone was planning to do something to it.

By "blessed with"..do you mean "freebie"?
yes. been a long time friend and contractor who moved to California so he passed it on to me. I'm very thankful to God for such an awesome gift.

Sounds like your "friend" got a good deal
He was one of those "too busy with work" to ever finish something like this lol and he told me he knew if he gave it to me, it would actually get done and not sit collecting dust and rust...and he's right. As long as the finances are there, this thing will be something to look at when complete

this thing will be something to look at when complete
and no I don't mean that in a "ghetto" my jeep build way. I used to be a heck of a carpenter building log homes and the trim/finish work was my favorite so I see the whole inside of this thing as nothing but trim/finish work. My only drawback will be using lighter material rather than what I "would want to use" so that will limit me on what options to do but paneling with the right trim and paint will have to work.
I wouldn't remove the ac that thing will get hot during the summer. Why completely gut it? I get redoing the floors and new panel on walls but I wouldn't go farther then needed they are layed out to be evenly weighted
I'm removing the Engine A/C not the big one...just extra drag on engine.
Why Gut It?? cause the cabinetry is too far gone for my liking and I'm going to redesign it my own way. Plan is to remove the bunk beds and bathroom, put in full size bed, keep toilet area moved forward, don't care for shower so that space will be my "shop stuff"...he gave me brand new 12gal compressor for it so I will have onboard compressor with full tools to use when on the road, camping and at the Off Road Parks. Kitchen cabinets/counter is rotted...pretty much everything is kinda "soft" rotted type stuff so I'd rather start fresh.

FWIW Hydra Boost is better than an vacuum brake booster you will install on that thing...dont change that.

Otherwise cant wait to see what you do to this thing.

can anyone tell me the door post GVWR says 12,500lbs. How much of this is Curb weight, anyone know how to tell. I'm just trying to figure out how much it weighs so i know how much it can "safely" tow. thanks

FWIW Hydra Boost is better than an vacuum brake booster you will install on that thing...dont change that.

Otherwise cant wait to see what you do to this thing.
oh well thanks for the tip..I wasn't crazy about the idea but thought vacuum booster would be stronger. no problem keeping the Hydra Boost, thanks for the proper name too!!

You can safely tow whatever you want.

Just make sure you have the brakes to stop it is the main thing. That also means a trailer with sufficient brakes.

You can safely tow whatever you want.

Just make sure you have the brakes to stop it is the main thing. That also means a trailer with sufficient brakes.
so you're saying this RV would tow my 2100lb trailer and jeep on it??? that seems way too much (i'm basing this off my tahoe weak ass tow rig LMBO). I know its a 454 but will it really have the power to tow extra 6000lb up the mountain

ok speaking of 454 you guys who know your big blocks: with 49k miles on it, am I wasting my money doing head gaskets/valve seals/lifters and such and should put that money and time somewhere else or is it still a good preventative maintenance thing to do. On my family DD vehicles, I'm all about Preventative Maintenance and making our car/s as reliable as can be so that's why I was going to do it but if you guys think with low mileage it's good and "just broke in"lol, than I'll put that money elsewhere.

There is a difference between PM and causing problems where they dont exist.

Plugs, Batteries, Filters, Fluids, Flush the radiator and cooling system....all good PM items.
Head gaskets? If they aint leaking they are perfect.
Lifters if they are lifting and aint making noise they are working let them be.

Save the money and fix what shows itself as needing it.
Its a 30 year old motor..something is going to need attention, dont go opening it up and causing something else to fail

That's my $.02

so you're saying this RV would tow my 2100lb trailer and jeep on it??? that seems way too much (i'm basing this off my tahoe weak ass tow rig LMBO). I know its a 454 but will it really have the power to tow extra 6000lb up the mountain

It should. It may be slow but it will do it. I'm assuming the trans and cooling system are up to the task but they should.

Just don't make that thing weigh 40k pounds and you should be fine.

I'd strip it out and put cheap paneling up and make it one large open space with fold up cots, etc. purpose built and would likely lighten it up.

Head gaskets? If they aint leaking they are perfect.
well i guess I'll do compression test and if it has good compression like it should for the mileage, than I'll leave it.
Just don't make that thing weigh 40k pounds and you should be fine.

I'd strip it out and put cheap paneling up and make it one large open space with fold up cots, etc. purpose built and would likely lighten it up.
oh yeah, by the time I'm done with it, should weigh several several hundred pounds less. I'm gutting EVERYTHING including oven, fridge, freezer, stove, bathroom, vanity sink, the couch bed in living area was FREAKING HEAVY AS HELL lol...bout broke my fingers off when removing it lol, and I plan on using 1x1 to frame everything that's for shelving and such, 1x2 for sturdier kitchen shelves, and paneling to cover it all. Luan on walls and ceiling, 1/4" plywood on floor and should be way lighter when done with it. Fridge is propane so it's going as i DON"T LIKE PROPANE appliances at all, oven and stove nope. I'm going to build in my 2 big coolers where the fridge was and set up the drains of them on permanent system with valves and insulate the boxes where they will sit in (they're already Heavy duty coolers) and make them my permanent "fridge" lol. me and the wife aren't into the fancy appliances and such so we are more concerned about safety and weight and comfort of open space/floor plan so we are going to try and minimize as much "clutter" stuff as possible. Counter space will be nice instead of the oven/stove and cheap lightweight storage bins...might even use the wallmart plastic clear containers that are stackable...we'll see.

I'm assuming the trans and cooling system are up to the task but they should.
this is getting upgrade too. It has one big trans cooler, I"m adding another one, adding power steering cooler and extra electric fan for radiator so it will run cool enough on those hot summer days and for the steep climbs. after taking out the condenser and crap that blocks half the radiator (stupid factory designers) it should cool way better already.
by the way, the exhaust manifolds have these flap looking things right at the downspouts???what the heck is that...some cold startup? they're not hooked up and can only imagine the restriction on the exhaust so safe to remove?

14 Bolt also must have locker in it or something...with rear diff off ground and driveshafts removed, all 4 wheels turn same way no matter slow or fast i turn em so seems to be factory locker/limited slip? pretty cool though. I know off road many of you guys run these 14 bolts but never have I looked at one up close and really just studied it....DAM that's one big freaking axle!!

I'm sure you are checking for mold as you strip it. Be sure you do. Don't want your family getting sick on the first long trip

Looking forward to this. I'd love to have one to redo/restore

I'm sure you are checking for mold as you strip it. Be sure you do. Don't want your family getting sick on the first long trip

Looking forward to this. I'd love to have one to redo/restore
well that's the whole reason for gutting it completely is to start fresh, fresh fresh lol, and that way I know 100% what's going in it and what's behind everything. Plus for us, it will also make it feel new and newer and not have any of the old feeling to it. looks like a slow day at work tomorrow so far so once i fix some of the outside leaks around the windows, hope to get in and start gutting it.

one of the most amazing things on it to me so far has been the little electric jacks for the Self Leveling System. I'm just mind boggled that those little electric motors jack this 8-10,000lb chassis up after 37yrs...HOLY CRAP lol! little electric motors nowadays seem so weak and yet back then they made them lift this much weight...front right doesn't work but got other 3 working so far. None worked to start with, found 2 bad fuses along wiring and voila but one does nothing. Amazing little things.
(Yes I am very easily amused by things if you haven't noticed lol).

By the sounds of your build list, you'll have $15k in it before you even do the inside...

Like Ron said, keep it modest or you could have purchased a new RV

Back