Hyperlite

3rd gen 4Runner w/ 16" fox coilovers and full widths **updates 4.10**

ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_ami_kallie_P1060685.jpg

***UPDATE*** april. 2010
***Chopped Top***
***UPDATE*** dec. 2008
**Replaced EB superflex coils with a set of 16" Fox 2.0 coilovers**
ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_ami_kallie_IMG_3005.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of my 3rd gen 4Runner.
It currently has...

Engine

- 3.4L v6
- ARB Safari Snorkel
- Custom Intake with K&N filter
- T100 2wd Oil Pan Conversion
- 16 gallon Fuel Cell w factory sender and guage (fuel guage/gas light works)
- Automatic transmission
- 2wd Low Mod
- Tacoma speed sensor (speedo works and no MIL)
- PTO drive shafts (vibrates over 65mph)
- Electric fan

Suspension

- Fox 16" Coilovers (king duel rate coils 250lbs over 250lbs)
- Chopped Top (window, defrost, wiper works)
- Custom radius arms with 3/4 heims
- 63" rear chevy springs
- Fox 14” rear shocks
- Super Lift adjustable Track Bar
- Wild Horse HD U-Bolts and Plates

Steering

- Tie rod over steering with 3/4 heims
- 94 IFS steering box
- TFE SS hydraulic hose
- Power Steering Cooler
- ***Hydraulic ram assist*** (not installed)

Body and Frame
- Chopped Top (rear window, Defrost, Wiper works)
- TJM Bull bar w/ 1 3/4 DOM Hoop
- Custom mounts to Engine Cage
- 2" body lift
- 2" engine/tranny lift
- Engine Cage 1 ¾ D.O.M.
- Sky Mnf. T-Case Mount
- Radiator Skid Plate
- Frame plated for steering
- 16g Fuel Cell with Stock Sender
- Hood pins
- Removed front clip (fenders headlights etc mount to cage)
- Vent Visors (3 left)

Axles

- Hi pinion d44
78 Bronco, 3.50 gears, chromoly stub shaft (1), HD universal joints, new ball joints, new hubs, new inner/outer bearing, Warn Premium hubs, New pads, and new calipers

- Ford 9"
78 ford Bronco 3.0 gears (currently looking for new 3rd broke the welded 3.50) Rear Disc brakes, new pads, new rotors, new axle seals

- All new brake lines (ABS gone)
- Stainless lines w/ A/N fittings on front/rear axle and spindles
- Willwood proportioning valve

Rims and Tires

- 325/85R16s Michelin XMLs (38.5x13.5)
- 16x10 rock crawlers w/ 2.5 back spacing
(Balanced with airsoft pellets)

Electronics

- Pioneer mp3
- MB Quarts seperates
- Alpine Amp
- Monster cable (RCA and wires)
- Optima in custom tray
- Custom LED Tail Lights
- Hella Reverse Lights
- Hella Driving lights
- Cobra CB
- Firestick

Other

- Leather Interior (drivers seat has tears)
- Husky Liner floor mats
- Rear Heat
- Timing Belt, Water Pump, Rad Hoses, P/S Pump, Alt just changed

:beer:

565666_140_full.jpg

565666_143_full.jpg

565666_144_full.jpg

565666_145_full.jpg

565666_148_full.jpg

565666_147_full.jpg

2466949_62_full.jpg

Thats probably the biggest 3rd gen I've seen. I've seen some with SAS on pirate and there's a guy on here with a 2nd gen on rockwells. Have you considered doing something about those rear shackles though? Other than that, it should come together pretty well.

How was it lifted prior to this? I looked on your page and it says "about 6.5" of lift".

Well, at least the dog is ready to go! Cool looking runner!

Sweet but dump the buggy springs in the back, Do the coil buckets have enough support?

Sweet but dump the buggy springs in the back, Do the coil buckets have enough support?

I will eventually do a 3 link in the rear with coils. The buggy spring was cheeper than me buying the stock needed for the rear hanger. I think there might be a clearence issue with those loooong springs
The buckets might have enough support but I want to run some 1 3/4 tubing in the engine compartment and tie into that for the extra strength. Right now they are spaced off the frame using 2x4 1/4 but if I wheel then they might twist inward.
I am going to plate the frame with 1/4" after I figure out my steering and run another crossmenber for the steering box support as well.

Well if you didnt sell it, you wouldnt be havin your 4runner now.

imo, i would add a few leaves to the rear, its going to be very soft. we just did a 4runner with 63's in the rear, total 7 leaf, top 3 chevy bottom 4 waggy, and its still a little soft on a 1st gen runner.

looks awesome though...

imo, i would add a few leaves to the rear, its going to be very soft. we just did a 4runner with 63's in the rear, total 7 leaf, top 3 chevy bottom 4 waggy, and its still a little soft on a 1st gen runner.

looks awesome though...

got any pics???
how much height did that combo give you??
what size/length shackles are you running??

looks awesome though...

I heard it would be too stiff with only add a leafs. What kinda shocks were you running?

ill get some pics, it gave about 5" of lift, we used the Sky kit to hang them with. the kit is very nice btw. i think the shackles were 6" and at a perfect 45*. keep in mind, the waggy leafs are thin, so that is why were ended up with a 7 leaf pack.

anyway, it rides like a cadi with new 5125 bilstein's, flex is sick.

test drive your 4runner before you listen to me, but i can almost promise it is going to be scary the way it is set up now.

just noticed some more stuff, i was trying to figure out how you got that much lift with flat springs...

if you were to run the setup you have in the rear of a 1st or 2nd gen 4runner, i think it would actually have less lift or right at stock. those springs are completely flat. the reason you are getting lift is that the frame on the 3rd gen 4runners (which i never knew this until now) is bent back down towards the ground after the wheel well. on 1st, 2nd gen 4runners the frame is straight at the same height as the top of the arch at the rear wheel well.

I also noticed that his frame bends down unlike my 2nd gen, but others have put 63" chevys on 3rd gens and tacos (dont know if they are different) and this is the first Ive heard/realized about the frame.....

he is running 8" eye to eye shackles....
most research said he would get about 3" of lift from the springs, then another 2.5"-3" with the 8" shackles. he was gonna use add-a-leafs to compensate for the ride difference but when we lowered the truck it sat about perfect height. about 7-8" of lift (it sits just above the height of my 2nd gen with 7" of lift in the front, I got 36's he has 35's

well i still think its going to be scary, this is constructive criticism.

i dont think 63's are a good chice for 2nd and 3rd gens anyway, and setup like that it is going to be way to soft.

here is a link to all you wanna know about 63" chevys for anybody wanting some extra reading info
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20665

i looked thru real quick and really didnt see any 4runner info but I have read thru most of it and its there somewhere, I was gonna run them on my 2nd gen.

we will see what they do..... next year b/c its gonna take him that long to finish....slacker

what would you run?? allpro 56" leafs?? Marlins?? Rancho 44044's?? those are $$ but if it rides like crap then he will have to buckup or go with coilovers

hey, i'm gonna be runnin 63's under the xj.

I have removed the coils.....anyone have some extra coil-overs around? The bowing of the coils drove me crazy!!!

whats the deal with this rig, any updates?

It'll probably be another year before he works on it again.

I should change the project's name to "back burner" or "yard art". I want a new axle so I can remove the "c"s on the axle tubes. The radius arms are ok but my issue is the coils and the bowing that the did. Maybe shorter coils, stiffer or different angled coil brackets (axle side).

ah yes, we have lots of yard art around here, no worries

Back