autonomous modules/ not owning a vehicle in the future

Traction control seems like it has a long way to go before this can become highly viable as far as inclement weather goes.

Had another thought but it has escaped me

Gotta consider the ripple effect too, what happens to traffic cops, traffic attorneys, dui attorneys, ambulance chasers, cities and towns that depend on ticket revenues and court costs, insurance companies, gas stations, auto parts retailers, auto service places...I would think in this scenario all cars would be owned/managed by a couple large companies, where vertical integration would make sense for them to service/maintain/fuel/etc their own cars, driving other service providers out of business.

They can’t make desktop computers that don’t crash, lock up, go into “Not Responding” mode. Not so sure the computer engineers have this technology thing figured out yet.

I doubt your new autonomous Honda Accord will be searching for Hot Asian Milfs and therefore will avoid a lot of the issues the average desk top suffers.

I fall in the “I love to drive” category and don’t mind turning the steering wheel and pressing the pedals. However, autonomous cars will be the future.

Being able to get stuff done during the commute would make a measurable impact on my day, so I’m not too unhappy about the concept.

Also, my captain obvious logic tells me that there will be lots of crashes and speed bumps in the beginning because of the .01% of robots driving vs the 99.98% of humans. But once that scale shifts to majority computers, traffic jams will basically be reduced to us rolling our eyes at the one “idiot human driver” that bucked the system.

Being able to get stuff done during the commute

For most people I'd lay money on the majority of 'getting stuff done on the commute' would be

searching for Hot Asian Milfs

On people's phones. Just look at some of the causes of accidents the Tesla owners had.

Also, my captain obvious logic tells me that there will be lots of crashes and speed bumps in the beginning because of the .01% of robots driving vs the 99.98% of humans. But once that scale shifts to majority computers, traffic jams will basically be reduced to us rolling our eyes at the one “idiot human driver” that bucked the system.

All it will take is one major accident/fatality and it will all come to a screeching halt. The company "responsible" for the accident will be tied up in litigation until they either go bankrupt or give up. The general population will not trust the system and refuse.

I believe we'll see a shift towards automous in my lifetime, but it will start with big cities, and HOV type lanes on interstates, but you would still drive your car to those points where the computer takes over.

I haven't read every post, but did anyone mention the personal property aspect? I saw mention of regular cars being illegal, etc. That's my personal property I worked hard to pay for, I'm not going to give it up. Is the guvment going to "buy it back"? At what price? Where does that money come from? Retrofitting existing cars? What if you can't afford it?

And, if human driven cars ever did become illegal, you know ol' Bo (or Leroy on Dontrell) is gonna have that old muscle car stashed in the barn and go raise hell with the bots...

Last edited:
That's my personal property I worked hard to pay for, I'm not going to give it up. Is the guvment going to "buy it back"? At what price? Where does that money come from? Retrofitting existing cars? What if you can't afford it?

And, if human driven cars ever did become illegal, you know ol' Bo (or Leroy on Dontrell) is gonna have that old muscle car stashed in the barn and go raise he'll with the bots...

Watch a futuristic movie or two, would ya. Demolition Man, IRobot, etc etc...you stash it in storage for a couple decades, and when you need it to remain of the grid or because you can't trust robots, it comes out a perfect restoration...
just so you can smash it in to something right before you save the day.

All it will take is one major accident/fatality and it will all come to a screeching halt. The company "responsible" for the accident will be tied up in litigation until they either go bankrupt or give up. The general population will not trust the system and refuse.

I believe we'll see a shift towards automous in my lifetime, but it will start with big cities, and HOV type lanes on interstates, but you would still drive your car to those points where the computer takes over.

I haven't read every post, but did anyone mention the personal property aspect? I saw mention of regular cars being illegal, etc. That's my personal property I worked hard to pay for, I'm not going to give it up. Is the guvment going to "buy it back"? At what price? Where does that money come from? Retrofitting existing cars? What if you can't afford it?

And, if human driven cars ever did become illegal, you know ol' Bo (or Leroy on Dontrell) is gonna have that old muscle car stashed in the barn and go raise hell with the bots...

I immediately thought of Rush Red Barchetta after reading your post.

That is actually a big reason that I hope this occurs in my lifetime. And you know my cousin Dontrell? Did he get your sister pregnant too?

Back