autonomous modules/ not owning a vehicle in the future

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
I have a hard time believing this. Many people like to drive, and enjoy showing off their success by driving a nice vehicle.

Former vice chairman of GM predicts car industry has no future

vehicles.png

i think in an large urban setting it will have a bigger potential. Say New York or San Francisco, and probably Seattle. I agree alot of people do enjoy the aspect of driving.

I agree. But don't we already have this essentially in the form of city busses, subways and trolleys?

Nothing beats the versatility of a private automobile. Get one that's autonomous, so you can read your face space on the way to the milkbar, and put regulatory roadblocks in the way of self operation, and it's inevitable.

I mean, you might like driving. I like driving. But there are a shitload of Prius owners out there that clearly don't care about it, and see a vehicle as just another appliance.

Yep, so many people don't give a shit about cars these days. It's just a means of getting from here to there. That's why about 99% of the cars made these days are boring and ugly.

I'll take my old vehicles any day. Shit, I took the ABS, traction control, skip shift, etc out of my 98 TA. Every non car person is like "why did you do that?" Uh, because I can actually drive and I don't like the car telling me what it thinks it can't do.

I'm all for it.

Get the hell off the road so it's safer for me and mine.

That's not how it works. You won't be allowed to drive anymore. Can't have humans out there fucking up things for the robots.

Yep, that is what the article states: Within 20 years, human-driven vehicles will be legislated off highways. I have a REALLY hard time believing that will happen though. Maybe WAY out in the future. That would mean a lot of people would be stuck with vehicles on their property that one day they suddenly cannot drive. I just don't see it happening like that, and so soon. It would have to be a very gradual phase out type of thing over MANY years, and not in 20 years from today. Even then, what are people like us going to do? Call for an autonomous vehicle with a 20ft dovetail trailer to take us to Uwharrie, LOL?

Ew, this is dreerier than I thought.

I think the 2030 is a bit to optimistic a prediction, but that driverless cars will become the norm eventually. But I seriously doubt the 'Transportation as a service' model will be successful, at worst, I Think the average suburban American will lease a driverless automobile, and the lease will include all maintenance (That will probably actually be required by law). But Americans are going to want that car sitting in the driveway ready to take them to the corner store, or the kids to Soccer Practice.

We were supposed to be on hover boards and have a cure for cancer by now too, but instead we have 'cash me ousside' girl and dick pills. I'd believe more of an Idiocracy type of (de)evolution over the next 20 years before mandated autonomous vehicles.

I think we will see the big cities outlaw drivers first. Starting with the liberal "sanctuary cities". You know which ones. They will be closed to mv's with commuter lots on the outskirts. Park, and summon an uber.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think we will see the big cities outlaw drivers first. Starting with the liberal "sanctuary cities". You know which ones. They will be closed to mv's with commuter lots on the outskirts. Park, and summon an uber.

We could be months away from that with this last Home Depot run

Had a thought.....

Now that the country has gotten all PC...and you can't give a hint of discrimination...

Are they going to: 1) allow you to program the car to avoid "dangerous", ethnic, gang-banger, etc neighborhoods (being that this would be a software switch, like "avoid toll roads", so somebody at the self-driving car manufacturer would have to set criteria, and they would determine a safe vs. unsafe neighborhood).

Or 2) be totally PC, and if the car decides to take you thru the 'hoods of detroit, and stop for gas in a bad area if the car decides to, that is better for all, since it won't discriminate??

Had a thought.....

Now that the country has gotten all PC...and you can't give a hint of discrimination...

Are they going to: 1) allow you to program the car to avoid "dangerous", ethnic, gang-banger, etc neighborhoods (being that this would be a software switch, like "avoid toll roads", so somebody at the self-driving car manufacturer would have to set criteria, and they would determine a safe vs. unsafe neighborhood).

Or 2) be totally PC, and if the car decides to take you thru the 'hoods of detroit, and stop for gas in a bad area if the car decides to, that is better for all, since it won't discriminate??

"Stop for gas" ...lolz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Horse ? (and buggy) do you see them on the interstate ? A little over 100 years (guess)
It is happening......
horses weren't represented by multi billion dollar companies.
Auto makers have strong lobbyists.
Insurance companies have stronger lobbyists.

I think you will see autonomous vehicle lanes/paths/services in select markets in 20 years.
I think we are more than 100 yeas away from autonomous vehicle service reaching ym neighborhood

Yep, that is what the article states: Within 20 years, human-driven vehicles will be legislated off highways. I have a REALLY hard time believing that will happen though. Maybe WAY out in the future. That would mean a lot of people would be stuck with vehicles on their property that one day they suddenly cannot drive. I just don't see it happening like that, and so soon. It would have to be a very gradual phase out type of thing over MANY years, and not in 20 years from today. Even then, what are people like us going to do? Call for an autonomous vehicle with a 20ft dovetail trailer to take us to Uwharrie, LOL?

I agree I think that timeline is pretty over exaggerated, but as far as cars I'm not sure how familiar you are with planters and harvesters these days and obviously you can buy hammer new ones with built in everything but even converting an old one to drive itself is pretty simple and inexpensive. I could see something like that being mandated.
We'll have to travel to Asia or the middle East where they don't give a shit in order to enjoy driving cars as a vacation.

What about towing or hauling heavy loads? Not OTR I think that will be the first thing to become driverless. What's the future of that?

This is the only way robot cars could work. Sure as shit one dumbass will screw everything up.

They've actually simulated that. The human drivers quickly learn that they can cut off robots, etc, and the robots always yield, which fucks up traffic for everybody.

Back