Any old Caddi peeps here??

Let me be the first in the group to speak against it, not because the car is a bad deal. More because I would not put an 18 year old into it. I had a 66 Coupe DeVille, Same car, but 2 door.

These cars do not stop like newer vehicles, you need a runway. Comfortable as a marshmallow, but handle like one too.

If it hits something, it will destroy it.

I can't speak to Jake's maturity, but for a normal young adult, that vehicle would become "The" party vehicle for whatever circle they hang out in.

On other notes; Did he say why he took it off the road? And if there are rust bubbles around the rear window, That's a big concern, You'll know right away if it's been a problem though, because the trunk and interior will have a musty smell.. The lip around the window is tough to repair and get a window sealed back into...

All that said, I'd rock it :)
I don't have as much as experience with the 60s models, but the 50s and very early 60s tend to hold more value for sure. Like already said, nothing will be cheap to replace. I can tell you from the '59 we have done a lot of work on, finding parts is not fun, they are very expensive, even as worn out pieces that need to be rebuilt.
Make sure all the trim and bright work is there and make sure everything works.

Also, I share the opinion of this may not be the best bet for a teenager or young driver. My shop does restoration work, and I have had a number of customers buy classic cars for their kids, they are cool as hell, but are horribly unreliable and horribly expensive to repair. Then factor in paint/body work for any mis-haps. As an occasional fun car, go for it. As a daily driver, only means of transport, something that he would have to pay to maintain, I wouldn't consider it for a second.

Just my .02 cents, and if he has another vehicle then it would surely be cool. Just keep in mind it will be expensive to repair.
Jakes way conservative and hangs at home most of the time.I understand and agree w this car not being for most teen boys,esp me when I was 17,but he's not like that,he barely does the speed limit on the interstate :shaking:.He has a XJ that he drives to school and he would be keeping it.I also know caddi stuff can be expensive,even simple stuff like brake shoes.As of right now the biggest thing its got goin against it is I think it has lacquer paint and theres no touching up or blending on lacquer????.I know most old cars have suck brakes and a disc brake swap would be on the top of the list.

.As of right now the biggest thing its got goin against it is I think it has lacquer paint and theres no touching up or blending on lacquer????

For the most part yes, that is true. We typically won't do it because it will most likely fail. The solvents in newer paints will break down the lacquer and cause it to lift/bubble/peel/spider etc.

Jakes way conservative and hangs at home most of the time.I understand and agree w this car not being for most teen boys,esp me when I was 17,but he's not like that,he barely does the speed limit on the interstate :shaking:.He has a XJ that he drives to school and he would be keeping it.I also know caddi stuff can be expensive,even simple stuff like brake shoes.As of right now the biggest thing its got goin against it is I think it has lacquer paint and theres no touching up or blending on lacquer????.I know most old cars have suck brakes and a disc brake swap would be on the top of the list.

I've thought this before, but the way you describe your son sounds a lot like mine.
My son is 16 and thinks most kids his age are "stupid kids with no plans and only want to get drunk and high and laid all the time"....also known as EXACTLY LIKE DAD WHEN HE WAS YOUR AGE lol..

And while I can appreciate the concern I wouldnt hesitate to put my son in that car even to drive daily.

Let me be the first in the group to speak against it, not because the car is a bad deal. More because I would not put an 18 year old into it. I had a 66 Coupe DeVille, Same car, but 2 door.

These cars do not stop like newer vehicles, you need a runway. Comfortable as a marshmallow, but handle like one too.

If it hits something, it will destroy it.

I can't speak to Jake's maturity, but for a normal young adult, that vehicle would become "The" party vehicle for whatever circle they hang out in.

On other notes; Did he say why he took it off the road? And if there are rust bubbles around the rear window, That's a big concern, You'll know right away if it's been a problem though, because the trunk and interior will have a musty smell.. The lip around the window is tough to repair and get a window sealed back into...

All that said, I'd rock it :)

When I was 17 (and that was just 11 years ago) I became the 2nd owner of a '70 LTD with a 390 and 73kmi. My only experience before this was a tired and worn out '82 sierra and a chevy LUV... so my experience with anything with some balls was nada.

That said, I knew it was a classic luxury car and not a Charger or mustang. Sure, I ended up racing cadillacs and other land-yachts at stop light but I knew that what I had was not some cornering machine.... especially when the hub caps flew off if I took a traffic circle too fast.

So, as long as your son has some mechanical aptitude and some comprehension of physics... he should do well in the car. I had mine for about 5yrs until my personal financial situation tanked and I had to sell it. I absolutely loved that car. I would buy a 67 Galaxie in a heartbeat if I found one for sale.

At least he has an extra ride and he can keep the miles off of the cadi. With it being a jeep he'll also understand when to slow down in curves due to the big-body sway that car is going to feed back to him. Does it have a 500 in it? When I saw the pictures I thought $7k, easy. I wouldn't argue much with $6500. Just needs some nice seat covers and bull horns on the front!

First, I am passing no judgment on your decisions as a parent or his maturity/responsibility/etc. as a young man. These are just some thoughts that I had to consider.

As he has a car, is another car the best thing for him at this stage in his life? He is about to start college (assuming) and will have 10000 things to grab his attention over the next few years at least. A vehicle of this age/style/condition will almost certainly not be a priority once that first taste of "freedom" hits.

My humble suggestion, put the $ into a roth and explain to him the value of compounding interest and give him a proper financial headstart. He can always buy another car. You can always buy him another car.

Has he asked for this car? Are you the one that wants him to have it, or is it something he truly wants? Are you the one that wants this car and his graduation happens to come at an opportune time to find excuse to buy a new project?

A more basic question, does graduating from HS warrant a $6500 reward?! Did he absolutely bust his ass and get a full ride somewhere? Did he endure a major hardship during the course of his 18 years under your roof that gives you reason to want to do something so incredibly....nice? How much further could a $6500 investment in his future go if allocated elsewhere?

^^^On that note, cars come and go...I probably wouldn't have understood it at 18, but at 25-30, I think I would have far more appreciated the $6500+ for down payment money on a house/new car. I have the first truck I bought that my father and I restored together, but there are 20 after that, I haven't thought twice about. I have more memories of us finding vehicles together, making them road worthy and putting that coin in my pocket, than I do 'the second vehicle'. And at the end of it $1500 probably turned in to $15-20k.

First, I am passing no judgment on your decisions as a parent or his maturity/responsibility/etc. as a young man. These are just some thoughts that I had to consider.
No offense taken but at the same time I'm gonna do what I think is acceptable for him whether others like it or not.

As he has a car, is another car the best thing for him at this stage in his life?
Is there really a bad time for a classic car that somebody else is paying for???
A vehicle of this age/style/condition will almost certainly not be a priority once that first taste of "freedom" hits.
Freedom?? He's got freedom now and chooses to stay at home.By 15 he had been to 38 states and Europe for 15 days,he don't wanna go anywhere.The movies on $5 Tuesday,the used book store,school,and the vintage toy place is his circle.
My humble suggestion, put the $ into a roth and explain to him the value of compounding interest and give him a proper financial headstart. He can always buy another car. You can always buy him another car.
True,a roth is not a bad ideal,for any of us.Are you familiar w the Hillsville Va labor day flea market??? He spent all summer last year goin to yard sales to buy stuff to resell,he made (cleared) $1800 in three days.He understands money.
Has he asked for this car? Are you the one that wants him to have it, or is it something he truly wants? Are you the one that wants this car and his graduation happens to come at an opportune time to find excuse to buy a new project?
Not this car specifically cause I haven't showed it to him,that would kinda ruin the surprise but he likes this style of car.If we go to a car show or the rod runs this will always be what he wants to look at.

A more basic question, does graduating from HS warrant a $6500 reward?! Did he absolutely bust his ass and get a full ride somewhere? Did he endure a major hardship during the course of his 18 years under your roof that gives you reason to want to do something so incredibly....nice? How much further could a $6500 investment in his future go if allocated elsewhere?
Its not like I'm giving him a 50K diesel truck cause he got his permit but since you ask.He has busted his ass to keep his grades up and at one point ask to go to a tutor when he was having trouble w Alg II so his grades wouldn't go down.No hardship at all,we have busted our asses to make sure of it but he has responsibilities and helps me thru the summer and after school.Im sure he could be labeled a spoiled child and I'm sure his cousins think so but he has behaved,worked hard,has about 100 hours of volunteer time(not court mandated) so if he wants a caddi and I can swing it hes gonna get a caddi.I was raised w 0% support for stuff like this(money or otherwise) and 100% criticism so I'm gonna be down for about anything he has interest in.Hes goin the first two years on the TN promise program and then scholarships for the last two years.He'll go and we'll pay whatever the price is .I have enuf trucks/guns/parts/toys around to make it happen.If I fall over dead before them Ins will take care of it.An education w zero student debt seems like a leg up to me.:D

^^^On that note, cars come and go...I probably wouldn't have understood it at 18, but at 25-30, I think I would have far more appreciated the $6500+ for down payment money on a house/new car. I have the first truck I bought that my father and I restored together, but there are 20 after that, I haven't thought twice about. I have more memories of us finding vehicles together, making them road worthy and putting that coin in my pocket, than I do 'the second vehicle'. And at the end of it $1500 probably turned in to $15-20k.
I get that and agree to some point but not all kids are the same.I personally remember my third more than the first two,but that's just me.I would hope a 60's model Caddi would hold a higher place in his heart than a 2000's cherokee XJ.

Last edited:
Its not like I'm giving him a 50K diesel truck cause he got his permit but since you ask.He has busted his ass to keep his grades up and at one point ask to go to a tutor when he was having trouble w Alg II so his grades wouldn't go down.No hardship at all,we have busted our asses to make sure of it but he has responsibilities and helps me thru the summer and after school.Im sure he could be labeled a spoiled child and I'm sure his cousins think so but he has behaved,worked hard,has about 100 hours of volunteer time(not court mandated) so if he wants a caddi and I can swing it hes gonna get a caddi.I was raised w 0% support for stuff like this(money or otherwise) and 100% criticism so I'm gonna be down for about anything he has interest in.Hes goin the first two years on the TN promise program and then scholarships for the last two years.He'll go and we'll pay whatever the price is .I have enuf trucks/guns/parts/toys around to make it happen.If I fall over dead before them Ins will take care of it.An education w zero student debt seems like a leg up to me.:D

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

I think your doing the right thing. I was raised similar to your up bringing I believe noting was given to me and I had to work for any thing I wanted. When I graduated college the first time dad bought me my xj basically the only thing more than a 100 bucks he has ever given me. If he's worked hard and kept good grades he has earned some kind of reward and he will appreciate it. And your son sounds similar to me except I was always outside (hate reading) they never thought twice about where I was. Now my sister is a different animal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think your doing the right thing. I was raised similar to your up bringing I believe noting was given to me and I had to work for any thing I wanted. When I graduated college the first time dad bought me my xj basically the only thing more than a 100 bucks he has ever given me. If he's worked hard and kept good grades he has earned some kind of reward and he will appreciate it. And your son sounds similar to me except I was always outside (hate reading) they never thought twice about where I was. Now my sister is a different animal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'm didn't mean to imply I was never given anything.I was given my first truck and for the time it had a pretty hot motor in it.But by my senior year I was in to the mini trucks heavy and had a payment book to show for it and ins that was $25 less a month than the payment.Mom and dad didn't sign and they didn't have me on their ins.The original deal was they would provide a vehicle and X amount of gas money a week.Anything extra,wheels,stereo,tint,was on me.I quit playing football and went to work to be able to get those things.Truth be told I didn't need a new truck but I paid for it and it didn't kill me.

Old car seems like a death trap. Seems like a bad combo for a young driver. Nothing to do with ur boys maturity or anything personal. I want my kids surrounded by air bags if at all possible. I had a paramedic buddy tell me years ago the most horrific and damaging accidents he ever saw was when he started in the 70's and a lot of the cars didn't have safety glass. Would be spaghetti after hitting windshield. Can't protect from everything but this seems like it is an easy one to avoid. Sorry, don't mean to be a downer just want to avoid a later thread if the unthinkable were to occur.

Go for it! My uncle and grandfather got me a 33 yr old buick my sr year of high school. Drove that car all through college , even used it as a DD until I got into 4x4's. Finally sold it last fall. Made a lot of memories with friends and family in that car. No power brakes, all drums, no seat belts, speedo that sorta worked, and a 2 speed automatic. If he likes cars of that vintage go for it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a 64 2 door that I bought to work on. Was in good shape. Did not have the room for it and ended up selling it. Wish I still had it.

So, how'd this turn out?

Back