advice on turbo charging a 22r on propane

ORV design and fab

Hey guys, I have been toying with the idea of turbo charging my 22r. It runs great as is but wanting alil more go go, I am wanting to boost it. I'm not sure of the procedure tho. I have a turbo from a mitz eclipse GST. I will probably run a STI intercooler. I have a intercooler sprayer to keep intake temps dpwn as well. I am going to do the piping myself as well as the turbo manifold and all the fab work to get it going. I am.running a gotpropane kit. And I was going to run the turbo before the mixer. I think that should be fine.

I will be installing arp head studs and a mls head gasket. I am going to keep the boost to a factory level. Fromwjat I understamd, that's 12psi - 2psi or so for the intercooler and piping. I think it should be fine and be dependable.

Chin in and tell.me what you think. I haven't seen much pictures of what you have to do to get the air fuel ratio right for the mixer and all so any advice is appreciated.

I ran a 22 r with a Saab turbo as you are saying. If I was to do it again, I would do the mixer before the turbo. I lost propane when I went from vac to boost..... It had a huge dead spot, after hours on the phone Carey at got propane said that was my issue....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

you will need to look at your mixer, and what pressure it is rated for. the diaphragm cant hold but so much pressure.

Snappy, did you have a reference to the regulator from the pressure side of the turbo?

Draw-thru is a good option, but i wouldnt suggest running a intercooler with it.

Here is a shot before we plumbed the turbo to the intake....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377824047.850572.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377824047.850572.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 3,291
you will need to look at your mixer, and what pressure it is rated for. the diaphragm cant hold but so much pressure.

Snappy, did you have a reference to the regulator from the pressure side of the turbo?

Draw-thru is a good option, but i wouldnt suggest running a intercooler with it.
We tried it both ways.....
You can see the ref on the intake in the pic above.

What are the specs on the mistu turbo?

I was considering this at one point. I found most use a Volvo or Saab turbo and draw thru set up. Saw one guy with a blow off valve on a draw thru setup. I'm not so sure that's a good idea or not. Have you read mr stubs build on pirate toy section? He also has a thread on a 22ret forum too lots of good info.

Have you considered a 2rz or 3rz swap?

Thanks for the input. So did you change it after talking with Cary? That's what he was saying to me as well. So it might be my best bet. More info would be great. At 12psi, should I use a intercooler or am I wasting my.money on one?

Thanks for the input. So did you change it after talking with Cary? That's what he was saying to me as well. So it might be my best bet. More info would be great. At 12psi, should I use a intercooler or am I wasting my.money on one?
No never changed it, just learned to drive through the dead spot. When it went from vac to boost it would cut the fuel off for a split second. The mixer will work off either ref singnal....I was not inter cooled but I wish I would have....

No never changed it, just learned to drive through the dead spot. When it went from vac to boost it would cut the fuel off for a split second. The mixer will work off either ref singnal....I was not inter cooled but I wish I would have....

Really! I will call cary soon. I am getting all my parts and will do the turbo after I've gotten all my stuff together. How do I find out about my mixer? Why do you wish you were inyercooled? Trying to work all the kinks before they happen...its cheaper that way.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. I am not going to swap in another motor. Not when I can turbo the 22r so cheap and get the power it can get. I know its not as good as others bit for the price and I will do all the fab work and cut out all my flanges and brackets to do everything I can. It would be much more money to do a swap and headache not when I have a great running motor on propane.

If your mixer is pre turbo, use what you have. the 220 mixer (assuming you have a gotpropane kit) should be good for that setup ( i believe 200hp or so). If the mixer is post turbo then you need to know how much boost your mixer can take. I believe the 220 can only take 5-6 psi, well thats atleast what i remember cary saying.

I haven't seen much pictures of what you have to do to get the air fuel ratio right for the mixer and all so any advice is appreciated.

There really isnt much to it.. you have two adjustments on the mixer one is for your idle mixture and the other for WOT. The rest is based on the diaphragm and vacuum. if you want it dead on nuts, you'll need a wide band o2.

[quoteBlack Bear, post: 1171302, member: 159"]There really isnt much to it.. you have two adjustments on the mixer one is for your idle mixture and the other for WOT. The rest is based on the diaphragm and vacuum. if you want it dead on nuts, you'll need a wide band o2.[/quote]

Ok. Im fine with putting an o2 sensor...airfuel ratio gauge to make sure I don't run lean. I will also run a boost gauge. Do you think ill be ok with 12psi? Ill look at my mixer when I get home to get the model.

Why do you wish you ran a intercooler?

I would say that most run draw thru setup... most mixers cant handle much more than 5psi. The intercooler condeses the air/fuel and therefore can increase power and reduce detonation.

We tried it both ways.....
You can see the ref on the intake in the pic above.

From what I have read, to do blow-thru right, you should reference the regulator off the turbo side of the diaphragm, vs off the intake manifold side (which is what your pic looks like). That way the regulator can see the pressure on the top of the diaphragm.

Yea, but the great thing about propane is that it leaves the tank at -44 f. I think that when it goes through a intercooler it just makes.more time for it to heat up....not cool off. Shorter time to heat up before it goes into the motor. And propane is equal to 112 octane, so it can handle the forced induction. I think it will work nicely together. Any more info or advice will be appreciated because I want to work it out before I go and do it...

If your mixer is pre turbo, use what you have. thintercooler. (assuming you have a gotpropane kit) should be good for that setup ( i believe 200hp or so). If the mixer is post turbo then you need to know how much boost your mixer can take. I believe the 220 can only take 5-6 psi, well thats atleast what i remember cary saying.
. I think after listening to everyone. The cheapest/ best design is to go draw through without an inyercooler. I think I am on to getting it right. I am going to start on this after the open flats run in Oct. When I get back I will start tearing it down to do...

#1. ARP head studs
#2. Boost friendly head gasket
#3. Turbo manifold...
#4. Re installing the mixer on the drivers side of engine bay to be pre turbo
#6. Piping the turbo, down pipe and exhaust.

I should have all the parts and piping ready for the install to be a short down time for some tuning.

I will Dyno before and after at a guys shop hear in Raleigh to get some numbers. Just to see the real benefit of something like this. Any more advice would be appreciated

Going to fab a base plate to go to the turbo. The radiator is probably going to the rear but I was going to run it up front to start off with. Do you think ill have temp problems with the factory radiator
How are you going to adapt the base plate of the carb to a tube to goto the turbo?

Are you going to put in the larger 22ret radiator

How are you going to adapt the base plate of the carb to a tube to goto the turbo?

Are you going to put in the larger 22ret radiator

i doubt you'll have temp problems if you move it to the rear. Just make sure you have a good shroud for the fan.

when you route the tubes to the back, add some bleed ports so you can get all the air out. otherwise its a complete pain in the ass.

Gotcha. Certainly will do that. How should I go about routing the piping? What material should I use, etc? I have seen Pvc used but I want to do a good job and not half way do it and have problems on the trail.

Back