97 dodge 3500 question

userbmx1315

builds more then wheels
just got a dodge 3500 for my tow rig.
heres a stupid question. it seems to have a Cat conv. and a log of a muffler.

i'd like to remove the cat and the muffler to gain some power and to get get a more free flowing exhaust.
is it illegel to remove my cat? do diesels need ammisions?

Don't do it, there is no reason to remove a cat, and yes removing it is illegal. Plus with no cat and no muffler you will just be pissing off anyone that is waiting at a stop light next to you.

Fawk a converter on a Diesel. Mine had one..for a day and a half. :lol:

I am currently running the exhaust chopped off right before converter, so basicly just a short straight pipe. Also 97 3500 12v Cummins. The turbo acts as a muffler of sorts, well other than the whislte. :D

It is a little loud, but I am happy with the sound overall and vey happy performance wise.

I plan to take it to APS Muffler and Brake in Rock Hill, Tim there is awesome and super cheap. I am just going to have him re-connect where converter and muffler was with a short piece of pipe, should be plenty quiet then, but still have some performance and sound.

Take it off! Who cares about other drivers? Tim is the man for exhaust but he cant custom bend 4" pipe. He still has a 5" magnaflow muffler at his shop that is suppose to be on my truck but Im not an old man so:fuck-you:

going to be doing some type of exhaust upgrades and intake upgrades.
i became a member over on cumminsforum.com but no one seems to be answering my question. so i guess that site will be for problem solving searches lol

Seriously though with the 5" turbo back and no muffler mine's kinda obnoxious. Call will or Aaron at 4 wheel parts in charlotte for an intake and tim at aps in rock hill for your exhaust.

I wouldn't advocate something illegal on an open thread... just saying...

It also gives us a bad name or puts us inline with a lot of people's perception of the 4x4 community

A. My truck passes SC emissions. Kyle, yours pass up north?
B. Really? People think diesel truck owners in the 4x4 community would like to have lower egt's and an aggressive sound? I had no idea

A. My truck passes SC emissions. Kyle, yours pass up north?
B. Really? People think diesel truck owners in the 4x4 community would like to have lower egt's and an aggressive sound? I had no idea

First off asshole, its Amissions. Clearly. Fuck.

Second,
Uhhh..Its simple really....Is that a squirrel?

I heard this crazy guy drag racing his dodge tonight. Sounded great from 200 yards.

Should have stopped by man!

The problem with seeing squirrels is after you admit to seeing them you look even more guilty than everyone else who knows something is fishy because there is clearly no squirrel

I heard this crazy guy drag racing his dodge tonight. Sounded great from 200 yards.

Should have stopped by man!

I had a black guy with me...wasnt sure if it was cool or not...:flipoff2:

One of the old techs from 4wp stopped by and I was just taking him for a ride. Turned the boost back up a bit and quickly realized I need to back it way back down or I'mm gonna kill this supposed "HD clutch" :lol:

The problem with seeing squirrels is after you admit to seeing them you look even more guilty than everyone else who knows something is fishy because there is clearly no squirrel

Yeah, some days you are the dog, some days you are the fire hydrant. :flipoff2:

i should hzve changed the title to questions.
what would make my truck feel like it has little power?
i put in a boost guage, my motor is completely stock that i know of. its getting like 12-14 psi of boost. normal?

i put in a boost guage, my motor is completely stock that i know of. its getting like 12-14 psi of boost. normal?

I would start with intake/exhaust. You can bump up the boost with a hose clamp or a pair of vice grips or a $10 boost elbow from Ebay. Messing with the fuel plate(free) can make enough power to ROAST a stock clutch. Seriously.

Ck out www.cumminsforum.com Awesome site for these trucks.

Pretty much anything you need to know is there.

If you ever get by South West Charlotte, you can stop by and I'll show ya a few things/take you for a ride in mine. It will blow the tires of (all freaking 4 of em) in the rain. :driver:

Gages coming this week, but I think I'm hitting about 35PSI :D

$$$$$$ always makes power :D

- boost elbow (35psi is good for stock turbo)
- 4" downpipe (buy used!)
- drill the wastegate opening across both volutes to gate all 6 cylinders
- drill a 3" hole in the factory airbox & use a drop-in filter (cheapest option if you drive in dusty conditions, else buy a big cone filter and attach to intake tube)
- you can get 3000rpm from it with some shims/washers
- 'Tuned' afc housing
- grind the fuel plate flat & slide it forward/back to control your WOT fueling

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

read the stickies, there's a plethora of info on CompD. Just be mindful of whatever forum you read to stay away from anyone or thread regarding 'how to make my truck smoke more'

and oh yeah, read read read before you go-a postin on the diesel forums.

i do have a s/n on cummind forum, but no one answers my questions, the search does help but just like everyother newbie on a forum i cant find what i'm looking for.

i'd deff like to check out your truck, like to get mine going better. this thing feels like i'm pulling a parachutet at all times except rolling down a hill with my foot off the gas

12 - 14 actually seems a little low for stock. Both my 12v's ran around 20psi stock, now granted one had the wh1c so it would run a little different than an hx35. Check yours to make sure it dont have a boost leak. It may be fine but worth a check.

First off start with guages before anything. They are a fairly inexpensive insurance compared to a blown motor or tranny. Now you didnt say if its auto or manual (or I missed it) so be prepared for either an auto build or a good clutch even with a small power increase.

For exhaust check with farmboy. Gus has about the best price you can find and you can order 4" or 5", muffler or no. Fitment is great just installed his setup last week on an 07 CR.

Shave the fuel plate to a #0 and leave a very small ramp at the bottom. Slide the plate about 3/4 of the way forward, not all the way. Ive done probably 20 of these in the past and putting it full forward usually actually chokes the motor out more than it helps on a fairly stock truck. Go ahead and spend the money on a boost elbow and turn the afc. Go to napa and get a BHAF, it fits in the stock intake elbow, I liked mine it worked great. Cant remember the part # but search cumminsforum its easy to find.

Now after that if you want a little more power check out some of farmboys injectors or delivery valves but you better be ready for a turbo and studs. Oh yea I forgot to mention keep a listen out for the stock clamps to let go on the intercooler boots. They dont like 40psi of boost.

Welcome to the world of diesels, now you can never go back. Feel free to pm me with any questions, I have many years and many hours under the hoods of 12v and 24v's.

12 - 14 actually seems a little low for stock. Both my 12v's ran around 20psi stock, now granted one had the wh1c so it would run a little different than an hx35. Check yours to make sure it dont have a boost leak. It may be fine but worth a check.
First off start with guages before anything. They are a fairly inexpensive insurance compared to a blown motor or tranny. Now you didnt say if its auto or manual (or I missed it) so be prepared for either an auto build or a good clutch even with a small power increase.
For exhaust check with farmboy. Gus has about the best price you can find and you can order 4" or 5", muffler or no. Fitment is great just installed his setup last week on an 07 CR.
Shave the fuel plate to a #0 and leave a very small ramp at the bottom. Slide the plate about 3/4 of the way forward, not all the way. Ive done probably 20 of these in the past and putting it full forward usually actually chokes the motor out more than it helps on a fairly stock truck. Go ahead and spend the money on a boost elbow and turn the afc. Go to napa and get a BHAF, it fits in the stock intake elbow, I liked mine it worked great. Cant remember the part # but search cumminsforum its easy to find.
Now after that if you want a little more power check out some of farmboys injectors or delivery valves but you better be ready for a turbo and studs. Oh yea I forgot to mention keep a listen out for the stock clamps to let go on the intercooler boots. They dont like 40psi of boost.
Welcome to the world of diesels, now you can never go back. Feel free to pm me with any questions, I have many years and many hours under the hoods of 12v and 24v's.

Good info. :beer:

Napa PN 2790 for BHAF.

Thanks for the info. I have started on guages and have a boost one for right now. Just made a boost elbow this morning so I will be adding that. I have read that 15psi was stock. Ill try to find the post again. I will prob just straight pipe it. Is there a kit to buy to replace the hoses to the turbo? Or does autozone have them?

Thanks for the info. I have started on guages and have a boost one for right now. Just made a boost elbow this morning so I will be adding that. I have read that 15psi was stock. Ill try to find the post again. I will prob just straight pipe it. Is there a kit to buy to replace the hoses to the turbo? Or does autozone have them?

are you referring to the flex lines connecting wastegate actuator to AFC housing?

Back