4 wheel parts problem

tarheelCJ

As a local wheeler i have tried to support our local vendors it just seems that every time i call or stop by 4 wheel parts in raleigh i get alot of atitiude. when i have called to see if they have a part they have totaly blew me off like what i was asking for wasn't important. on several occasions i have stoped by the store only to be ignored and never ask if i need help. As a business owner myself i understand things happen but not every time u go into a place. i have given them to many chances. I hate to admitt that i have better service at galloways than 4 wheel parts. just wanted to know if i was alone on this or has anyone else noticed this.

You are not alone, not alone at all bud. I've had 1 major experience, my first time dealing with 4 wheel parts and it was the last.

It started off very good to be honest, very nice guys for the most part. I was allowed in back to watch / BS with the local tech. My power steering pump went out just before New Years '08 and I NEEDED to have the truck up and going... I also decided to have the fuel pump done as well.

All in all I was quoted 1 price and it turned out to be MUCH higher. I won't name names, but guy behind counter said it would be completed upon my return to Raleigh COB. I said let's do it, I get back to Raleigh and still no call. No biggie, I called and got the run around a bit... but I figured they were busy.

I called later that day and still nothing. So finally at COB I showed up and basically received the "Well the pump we got was bad, then had another delivered and that was bad... so sorry but it won't be here till the morning, oh and the fuel pump turned out to be a bit higher than we quoted you".

Guess what?? They went a head and put the fuel pump in without my permission, let alone no simple call...

I never heard from them the next day until I called, COB and they said it was ready! I showed up with a bill no lie almost twice the amount I was quoted... I complained and they said all they could do was remove the fuel pump or simply take off 10%.

I received a complaint card in the mail, it stated if filled out I would receive $25 gift card I left my thoughts and mailed it... never received the gift card and never heard ANYTHING.

Needless to say, my business went else where. Which was new RE 3.5, monotubes, Discos, SYE / TW shaft, all new front end, new 3-core radiator, etc, etc... they lost a large chuck.

I went to Global Offroad just down the road, located behind Carmax. Great guys! Talk to Jeremy.

I never posted about my experience, saw this thread and figured I had to say something. Maybe they'll see this, if so Hello from a VERY dissatisfied customer.

I am very sorry for any bad experience you may have had at my store. I urge you to give me a call and allow me to make this right for you. This is absolutely not the norm for us and I would like an opportunity to earn your business back. This is the first I heard of these problems.

4wp (919) 571-8105

thx, Greg

Sounds like the new store has its work cut out for itself, i walked in while traveling through raleigh, first time ever in a 4wp store, asked a clerk for a reciever mount shackle, he had no idea what i was talking about, and that they prob didn't have it. therefore i walked out, and ordered it from an online vendor when i got home. I know there are issues with new shops I wish you the best of luck getting to the bottom of it Greg.

Sounds like the new store has its work cut out for itself, i walked in while traveling through raleigh, first time ever in a 4wp store, asked a clerk for a reciever mount shackle, he had no idea what i was talking about, and that they prob didn't have it. therefore i walked out, and ordered it from an online vendor when i got home. I know there are issues with new shops I wish you the best of luck getting to the bottom of it Greg.

thats the one that goes into the rear receiver and has a loop for the shackle to fit in? You should have heard me try and explain that to a sales rep in town, only I could not think of the term "receiver shackle" I had a complete brain fart, and 10 minutes of charades

Just wanted to say I get the run around when I go in also. The store seems to be set up for Jeep and nothing else. A friend wanted a carb and they said we need to order it. He got it quicker and cheaper by ordering it himself.

I just can't see paying $88 for a set of H3 replacement bulbs!

thats the one that goes into the rear receiver and has a loop for the shackle to fit in? You should have heard me try and explain that to a sales rep in town, only I could not think of the term "receiver shackle" I had a complete brain fart, and 10 minutes of charades

yeah thats it, and in some cases it actually comes with the shackle

Wow...really?? Every time I have gone in there I have been helped right away and everything was done when they said it would be. I drove out there one time just to get a tire mounted and told them I would be back later in the day to pick it up. I was told just wait about 15 minutes and they would have it done for me, sure enough they did and saved me the gas from having to go back for it. I for one, am glad they are in town.

Just wanted to say I get the run around when I go in also. The store seems to be set up for Jeep and nothing else. A friend wanted a carb and they said we need to order it. He got it quicker and cheaper by ordering it himself.

I just can't see paying $88 for a set of H3 replacement bulbs!

What percentage of vehicles run carbs these days? (And of those, how many run around replacing them instead of rebuilding it) I wouldn't expect them to stock a carb any more than to stock a points kit.

And come on, you'll only pay $88 for a set of bulbs if you want the ricer ones, I'd be VERY surprised if you couldn't get clears cheaper.

Nice try jumping on the wagon though.

Here is my stand, I personally support 4wp, sometimes thier price is a little high, but I do not mind because when I am in a jam, they have went out of thier way to help me.
I have called them and was asked to call back, not excactly what I wanted to hear but it is better then waiting on the phone 20 minutes. I have also been told I would get a call back and never did but come on man, they can not remeber to call EVERYONE (I know, I am in the business) So I normally call back later in the day to refresh thier memory. The guys are not perfect, but they are better then what I had.

Glad they are there if you need something, but also have stood there numerous times waiting for help and they have never responded. A couple of the guys that work there seem really arrogant. 2 out of 3 times they have had to order the part I wanted. I was excited when I heard that the store was coming to Raleigh, but have since decided to just order online and pay for shipping than rather deal with the folks over there. There is one young guy that works there thats cool , the rest are just..... It seems that if you don't have a Rubicon on 38's your not cool enough to shop there

In my opinion if you have issues with an employee and know there name then PM the user id: greg slade
so he can address the issues.
I am sure as a store manager he does not want employees treating customer with attitudes.

I am sure as a store manager he does not want employees treating customer with attitudes.

x eleventy billion.

and pikapp, whatever that is (EB? Scout?) in your avatar is far cooler than any Rubican't.

Can't say i am glad to see i am the only one with this problem sounds like greg needs to clean house with his employes. Just talked to buddy who ordered wheels for an 2000 tj after waiting an extra 2 weeks more than they said to get them, they arrived only to get them home and see that they were the wrong bolt pattern he called the store for help there reply was u must have ordered them wrong. He then returned to the store for a little further assistance only to get yeld at and i meen YELD at for trying to return them even when they said they would not do so. 4wp sucks!!

Can't say i am glad to see i am the only one with this problem sounds like greg needs to clean house with his employes. Just talked to buddy who ordered wheels for an 2000 tj after waiting an extra 2 weeks more than they said to get them, they arrived only to get them home and see that they were the wrong bolt pattern he called the store for help there reply was u must have ordered them wrong. He then returned to the store for a little further assistance only to get yeld at and i meen YELD at for trying to return them even when they said they would not do so. 4wp sucks!!
Please provide accurate details if you are going to slander 4wp and/or its employees.
Your buddy ordered those wheels from 4WP.com (yes, the internet), not the local store - so yes he did order the incorrect wheels. 4wp & local store are seperate entities. I was there when he tryed to return them. He did not even have any boxes to return them in just bare wheels. Return policy states all returns must be in original package - even says on the wheel boxes. And lastly, you buddy was speaking with Greg.

Im sure greg could have made it right, as he does a very good job of customer satisfaction at 4wp. Instead, said customer slammed the conter and stormed out, then did the angry cool burnout on the way out of the parking lot.

Please provide accurate details if you are going to slander 4wp and/or its employees.
Your buddy ordered those wheels from 4WP.com (yes, the internet), not the local store - so yes he did order the incorrect wheels. 4wp & local store are seperate entities. I was there when he tryed to return them. He did not even have any boxes to return them in just bare wheels. Return policy states all returns must be in original package - even says on the wheel boxes. And lastly, you buddy was speaking with Greg.
Im sure Greg could have made it right, as he does a very good job of customer satisfaction at 4wp. Instead, said customer slammed the counter and stormed out, then did the angry cool burnout on the way out of the parking lot.

For the time I have known Greg, I would say he would have done all he could to get this guy what he wanted. But you can't go into a place with a "tude" and expect them to fix a problem, esp when it wasn't their problem. I figure it would have been a matter of him bringing in the boxes and getting them sent back. But the cool burnout thing probably says he knew it was his fault and he just didn't get his way.

OH and Lauren, I have always called it a clevis, not a shackle. Receiver hitch mounted clevis??? Dunno, but, 4WP is where I got mine too, well kinda, pulled it off the board and bought it up at the Dixie Run a while back.

Bottom line, people on both sides of the counter will make mistakes. How you handle it is what makes the difference.

Oh and the not getting helped issue, being behind the counter it's not an easy task to figure out who is next in line to be helped. Get up there and stick your nose out and be recognized!
If you wander around waiting, most places you will still be waiting

Im sure greg could have made it right, as he does a very good job of customer satisfaction at 4wp. Instead, said customer slammed the conter and stormed out, then did the angry cool burnout on the way out of the parking lot.

Gotta love getting the other side of the story!

Im not jumping on the band wagon here, but there is a way to work a parts counter and not. I worked for Barnes motor Parts, Smithfield, NC & Motor Bearings & Parts Raleigh, NC for ten years as a counter parts guy and sometimes people get the idea they are not important at 4WP because of the Rubi w/ 38s. I have a good friend who had gears, shocks, and axles put in his Rubi. He is treated a lot different than I am because 4WP done the work and I done the same to mine at home.
Some of the counter guys are not treating everyone the same way. I bought my gears from Complete Off Road because of this. Do I think I should talk to Greg about it? No, there are to many other places to go to. That is mine and I have heard it from others as well.

I have heard that the shop manager or foreman is very professional and looks to make sure everything is right on peoples 4x4s

What percentage of vehicles run carbs these days? (And of those, how many run around replacing them instead of rebuilding it) I wouldn't expect them to stock a carb any more than to stock a points kit.

And come on, you'll only pay $88 for a set of bulbs if you want the ricer ones, I'd be VERY surprised if you couldn't get clears cheaper.

Nice try jumping on the wagon though.

Not jumping on the wagon, just stating what happened when I have gone in, if that is jumping SO BE IT. As for the H3s they only have the $88 ones and they could stock cheaper ones.

Not jumping on the wagon, just stating what happened when I have gone in, if that is jumping SO BE IT. As for the H3s they only have the $88 ones and they could stock cheaper ones.

they are not an oem replacement parts store.
Of course they could stock el cheapo, or oem replacements.....advance and autozone already do that....thats not their market.

they are a "performance" and "upgrade" shop...Im not sure why they dont carry wiper blades, 12" coffe can exhaust tips and rearview mirror pine tress either...I mean they COULD, RIGHT?????

I am going to add my 2 cents on this. I think 4WP are what they are, a discount store for high mover, popular parts. Like everywhere else they have their good and they have their bad prices. YOU need to shop around and see whats out there. Anyone who has a computer can check prices. I have purchased a shit load of parts from them just for the record because of their great pricing on certain items...gears, ARB's, bearings, wheels, and a few tires. Not to mention a lift kit or two. ALL through the internet because of my location. Then I move th NC and WOW one in Charlotte. What did I learn....don't call them looking for advise or a specialty part (shocks for the record). Man what a run around. I wanted a 12" travel shock with a hoop or eye(whatever you call it) on both ends. First words were what does it go on ( Autozone flashback) I told the guy a YJ and he said that is does not call for that...duhh. trying to rationalize with the guy told him what I was building and trying to do. Then he said it was not available...shit I said. I figured it was just a common shock....nope he said. Thank you I said and hung up. Thinking there has to be folks behind the counter that know their crap, I got on line and pick a 4WP store that "looked" large and in an area where wheelin was popular....Houston, TX. Called them, the guy says "let me check on what you need" came back with a part # and said he had them in stock. I said I will take them. Told him my address and he ask why did I not call the Charlotte store? told him I did and the rest of the story. He said OH! Then he looked on the computer and said they had the shocks in stock at their store! WTF I thought. Told him just to ship me his. Then I had a run in as to where I ordered a tire and was quoted a price and said great, order it and I will pick up. Got there to pick up and when they totalled the bill with a few other items it was way more than I exspected. Looking at the bill, the tire was way over what they quoted me over the phone? Had to argue for 5 minutes to get the bill correct. Was this standard procedure?

That said, we stopped at the Denver, CO store on our way out to Moab to get ARB compressor and a couple of other items...Man what a store! great, knowledgable folk behind the counter and willing to go out of their way to assist. They were even willing to stay a little late in case we did not make it there in time as we were 9 hrs away when we called.

btm line...they are a great place to buy select parts. I think they could require a lot more training of the folks behind the counter at certain locations to make sure they establish a common customer service reputation.
On the other hand, there a more folks just getting ther mall crawlers lifted and chromed and really don't give a crap about the "knowledge" the real wheelers expect.

Back