35" tire for Uhwarrie

wild1joker

I'm making my 1st trip to Uhwarrie this year. I have 315/75/16 BFG ko'2's. I've had them off road and they do good BUT = they absolutely become slicks in good black mud.
I'm looking for the best tire ( second set -dedicated for weekends only ) to drive to the trails and off road only, then switch back to the BFG's for daily.
I'm thinking Iroks or pitbull's - DO I EVEN NEED THIS MUCH TIRE ?
but I'm going to be limited to 35's or 36's .
Please let me know your opinions .
I have a 2001 TJ 4.0-3 speed auto-hp30 w/ lockrite -4.56's and a 8.8 /lsd /4.56's. 4 inch lift /1 1/4 body -tummy tuck-sye .

No I would ride it first on a dry weekend and get a feel for the place before buying new tires. I have been all over URE when dry on A/T 235s.

Uwharrie dry, ATs are fine. Uwharrie wet, all tires are useless :)

I'd stick with the ATs, or get something middle of the road (like a duratrack, or mtr) to run all the time. Then again, I don't like the extra work of changing tires.

If you truly want an all out trail tire, look at interco.

Thank , I do have a winch ( Superwinch 8500 ) and all recovery gear, recovery points on my bumpers too.
My KO2's are load rated E- don't have a lot of sidewall flex. No C rated for a 16 inch wheel.

Thank , I do have a winch ( Superwinch 8500 ) and all recovery gear, recovery points on my bumpers too.
My KO2's are load rated E- don't have a lot of sidewall flex. No C rated for a 16 inch wheel.
Sell your wheels and tires and get some 15s? I have D rated 35x12.50x17 km2s and they flex just fine aired down.

36x12.50 TSL's Done
There is no arguing...hands down the best option.

Second choice would be STT Pro's

They've proven themselves time and time again on southern red clay. I can't say enough about them as my off-road only tire

36x12.50 TSL's Done
There is no arguing...hands down the best option.

Second choice would be STT Pro's

They've proven themselves time and time again on southern red clay. I can't say enough about them as my off-road only tire

kind of hard to not get the message... . what offset on a set of wheels would I need to run them ? I'm thinking 15 x8 's ?

I run two sets of tires, 35x12.5 r15 BFG ATs for the road and I was running 33x12.5 r15 TSLs for off-road. I love the TSLs, and those 33s would hook up better than lots of other tires and even larger ones. Swapping tires is a pain, but I don't want to wear out some expensive bias ply tires on the pavement. I wills ay your E load range tires are not going to flex well at all, and in all honesty probably give your light TJ an even rougher ride. If it were me, I would sell the current tires, get some 15" wheels and put a good multi use tire on those wheels; this is my advice if you DD your jeep. If it is not your DD, then you may want to explore the two set of tires like I do.

thanks Big Clay----- I do daily drive it . I have only had my current set for a little while - still have no wear on them.
They ride good at 24 psi. I don't want to lose money on them- so that's why I was thinking of having 2 sets.
I understand the pain of swapping them out all the time. I'm also thinking if I have 2 sets I'll keep the wear off of both of them and extend the life of both.
that way they should last quite a while. does that make sense ?

Let's look at the 2 sets of tires thing a different way...

How many miles do you typically put on your jeep per year? I'm not talking TSLs, but any of your typical MTs should get 30,000+ highway miles. If you drive 10,000 miles a year, you'll get 3+ years out of them. If you're swapping tires and storing your MTs, they will harden, crack, and not work as well over time. Then you have to convince your wife you need to replace tires that you hardly ever use and still have half tread or better ;). If you run your MTs all the time, you get a fresh new set!

Last edited:
Get radial TSLs problem solved ;)

That was my happy medium...36x14.5 TSL radials. If you go 12.5, you can find guys selling 3 of those all the time. Pick up 6 with 50+% tread for $800 or less relatively easy. So you're basically saving money that way.

I've seen a few of those radial TSL's get eggs on the sidewall from wheeling.

I ran a set of SSRs 33x12.50, forever, even regroved them! They work Great too. It might have only been 20 -25K miles, but with 50% being off road, it was probably 10+ years.

I'm a little gun shy buying used tires... I have been under the impression that under half tread - basically they become almost useless, is this not true?

say I find a set at 60 -70 % would they be worth buying ?
I realize tires are not cheap, so when does it become worth it to buy used over new ? or vice versa ?
thanks for all the replies. much appreciated to all of you .

I'm a little gun shy buying used tires... I have been under the impression that under half tread - basically they become almost useless, is this not true?

say I find a set at 60 -70 % would they be worth buying ?
I realize tires are not cheap, so when does it become worth it to buy used over new ? or vice versa ?
thanks for all the replies. much appreciated to all of you .

I've bought exactly 1 new set of Interco brand tires (37x13x16.5 Boggers) in the last 10 years, but bought 12-15 used sets in that same time for 3 vehicles. They tow 10k, drive on the street about 20k/yr and play weekend warrior from time to time. I've had one tire where the lugs started separating from the tire and one sidewall blow out. Maybe I'm lucky...but I'll keep buying $500 sets until they're not available any more.

There's a reason :flipoff2:

Ask the sidewall puncture crowd about those BFG's ( @Chris_Keziah )

You just don't wheel hard enough to see any damage :p

You DO have a legit point about the 35's though, everything can be done up and down on 33's there

18 replies and nobody has pointed out that the BFGs are fine, and 35s are probably too tall for URE anyway?

WTF....
The mall crawl is strong in here.

I think the only real tire requirement for Uwharrie is that they are round and hold air. Just know if your tires are cheap or shitty you may have a bad day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

There's a reason :flipoff2:

Ask the sidewall puncture crowd about those BFG's ( @Chris_Keziah )

You just don't wheel hard enough to see any damage [emoji14]

You DO have a legit point about the 35's though, everything can be done up and down on 33's there

Yeah the service roads are hell on bfgs.

I've seen Shawn run everything on 31s with two car seats in the back, then again he's some sort of magic man behind the wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

18 replies and nobody has pointed out that the BFGs are fine, and 35s are probably too tall for URE anyway?

WTF....

Uwharrie dry, ATs are fine. Uwharrie wet, all tires are useless :)

I'd stick with the ATs, or get something middle of the road (like a duratrack, or mtr) to run all the time. Then again, I don't like the extra work of changing tires.

If you truly want an all out trail tire, look at interco.

Back