3 links rule, everyone else is just jealous

Not mentioned: durability.
What makes a 3-link inherently less durable than a 4-link? Or a radius arm? Or anything? Are you basing your opinion off someone’s lack of ability to weld a bracket to the frame properly?

What makes a 3-link inherently less durable than a 4-link? Or a radius arm? Or anything? Are you basing your opinion off someone’s lack of ability to weld a bracket to the frame properly?
Quantity. 2 is greater than 1. Also, 2 oppose each other in flex which is more likely to find the shittier of the 2 welds and make it a 3 link.

4 link is always going to be better than a 3 link. That’s just a fact. But the other fact is sometimes that’s not an option due to space and other factors.
Would I rather have a 4 link front? Absolutely. But sometimes that isn’t possible. For every 3 link that failed, there’s 10X that amount that have never given an issue. Make good practice of checking the welds at all link mounts before/after a wheeling trip. 9/10 you’ll notice a cracked weld or frame starting to rip before it becomes a major failure with regular inspections.
No one posts up saying “my 3 link worked great and didn’t fail this weekend” but everybody hears about it when one fails.

Both valid arguments.

A 3-link is going to find the weakest point. Where that is depends on the build, geometry, fabricator's skill, etc. Sometimes it just means the bolt holes in the brackets oval out. With thin-wall axles (Ford 8.8, JK axles, etc), it rips the brackets right off and takes big chunks of the axle tube with it. On TJs, it tears the frame at the upper link bracket. Sometimes a shitty weld fails. It just depends. When they go, they often fail spectacularly.

It's all a question of priorities.

By 4 link do we mean a triangulated 4 link, or a 5 link with 4 control arms and a track bar?

Regardless, this issue/debate/whatever is much more complicated than the passing commentary of this thread.

Regardless, this issue/debate/whatever is much more complicated than the passing commentary of this thread.
Also probably inappropriate for the thread....

Yeah but if you’re not making EPIC FAIL highlight reels are you really wheeling?
Werd!!

I think it was just before or just after this video @shawn peeled back his skid plate like a banana peel in an epic way

hammer.jpg

Werd!!

I think it was just before or just after this video @shawn peeled back his skid plate like a banana peel in an epic way

View attachment 342883

:flipoff2: It was already broken at that point. The transmission bushing got torn and the case was sitting on the skid plate. Cyd drove it to WV and then back to Raleigh after our campsite repairs, though.

Friends don't let friends wheel on stock skid plates, right? :lol:

A 3-link is going to find the weakest point. Where that is depends on the build, geometry, fabricator's skill, etc. Sometimes it just means the bolt holes in the brackets oval out. With thin-wall axles (Ford 8.8, JK axles, etc), it rips the brackets right off and takes big chunks of the axle tube with it. On TJs, it tears the frame at the upper link bracket. Sometimes a shitty weld fails. It just depends. When they go, they often fail spectacularly.

It's all a question of priorities.
I once broke a pinion yoke with my crankshaft when a 3 link frame mount sheared off the plated crossmember.
I still run a 3 link.
Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:
Current one on my Ranger is a Mars Fab designed one with massive heims and bolts. Zero worries at this point.The one that failed was the fist one I had built and failed due to my own lack of skill and knowledge.
I just thought the gif was too funny not to use....

:flipoff2:

@shawn on behalf of myself and several others in this thread I'd like to cordially invite you on a wheeling trip. What's your availability for May? Specifically, May 13-16? Location will be the Good Evening Ranch. We'd like to see all this knowledge in practical application.

Last edited:
Back