1936 Ford School Bus Build (with 5.9 cummins)

Cut the reinforcement plates for the frame, and some gussets.

2012-08-06_14-20-52_719.jpg

Not as streamline looking, but what about an overhead AC unit like goes on a camper. You can buy them new for $5-600 bucks and all you need is a 120 volt supply and a 14"x14" hole in the roof. You can also get them with heat strips so that you could have heat and air when you were plugged up.

She had mentioned a roof mounted one, but I don't want to do that because it would look like crap. Plus, it would protrude into the area where she will be walking and cut down on headroom which is already tight. She's not worried about a heater, there should be plenty of heat coming off the equipment.

Got the brake booster mounted and the steering box mocked up (one bolt in it), I am using a Chevy Astro steering hox since they are reverse swing and moves the box to the rear, leaving room to avoid cutting the fenders or grille. As you can see it is going to take 3 universals on the steering shaft (maybe 4) just to get it where it needs to be. I thought about a floor mounted master cylinder, but there is really no room for it there either.

2012-08-11_16-48-32_547.jpg
2012-08-11_16-48-55_606.jpg

Do you want to sell the 1st gen cummins with out the motor in it HEHE!!! :D

Just wondering whey your not using hydroboost on the brakes. It would free up some space and stop much better. Might make running the steering shaft a little easier.

Just wondering whey your not using hydroboost on the brakes. It would free up some space and stop much better. Might make running the steering shaft a little easier.

Didn't really look into it any, just used what I had to help keep it as cheap as possible.

how much we talking?

Got the exhaust mocked up today, still have a few hangers to finish on it as well as weld up some of the joints, I am mot going to use the clamps at any joints except the ones at the muffler. It is a cheap DiamondEye 4" kit.

Driveshaft was modified by Olivers, I still need to make a crossmember to bolt the carrier bearing to. Fuel tank is. 35 gallon marine tank, definitely fits better than the stock tank. I put the AirDog pump/filter setup that came off the 01' Dodge that the transmission for the bus came out of.

2012-08-27_18-11-24_21.jpg
2012-08-27_16-18-20_993.jpg
2012-08-27_18-29-57_457.jpg

If you can go back to that 01 cummins you can get the hydroboost setup for the brakes off of it. Like said before it will stop a lot better and will take up less firewall space. Looking good man seems like a real fun project.

If you can go back to that 01 cummins you can get the hydroboost setup for the brakes off of it. Like said before it will stop a lot better and will take up less firewall space. Looking good man seems like a real fun project.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question:

The 91' has a vacuum boosted brake setup right? I thought that meant the diesel engine would need a vacuum pump to make them work since diesels don't produce vacuum (or so I hear). I guess the Hydroboost runs off the steering pump, I actually do have the hydroboost setup off the 01' Dodge, do I need to do anything in particular to make it work aside from running the power steering lines to/from it? Is the factory 91' steering pump OK to use?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question:

The 91' has a vacuum boosted brake setup right? I thought that meant the diesel engine would need a vacuum pump to make them work since diesels don't produce vacuum (or so I hear). I guess the Hydroboost runs off the steering pump, I actually do have the hydroboost setup off the 01' Dodge, do I need to do anything in particular to make it work aside from running the power steering lines to/from it? Is the factory 91' steering pump OK to use?

Not stupid at all, yes the 91 is vacuum boosted, and diesels don't produce vacuum because they don't have any throttle blades so you are correct. The vacuum pump on your engine is in front of the p/s pump, the p/s pump actually bolts onto the back of the vac pump. If you have the complete setup off the 01 it is just a matter of hooking it up you will probably have to use the 01 p/s pump though, which should just bolt right up.

I don't know if the newer pump puts out more psi or not but if they are the same you could just plumb a second return line into the reservoir and let it ride.
-The pressure hose leaves the p/s pump into the hydroboost
-The hydroboost has a return line to the p/s reservoir
-Pressure line leaves hydroboost and goes to p/s box
-Then another return hose goes from p/s box to p/s reservoir
Hope this helps.

Just as a warning, but that AirDog may push too much fuel pressure for the VE pump. Any more than ~18 psi will blow the front seal out of the pump. The VP pump will probably take 25 or so. I'd certainly check into that. They make lower pressure units just for them, you may be able to regulate the pressure or swap something internally to make that particular one work.

The airdogs usually come preset at 15psi your typical street truck is fine at that, airdog usually supplies a stiffer spring to bump it up to 18psi for let's say if your running twins and some big injectors and need the extra fuel. So that pump should be at around 15 or 18 psi, and there's really no need for anything higher so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Sweet, nevermind then :D. I figured it was worth mentioning!

Sweet, nevermind then :D. I figured it was worth mentioning!
I just read my post I've been working all night and didn't mean to come off as an asshole, but when I read it that's what it sounded like to me. Sorry about that man and its good you mentioned it, the small things are always what get ya.

if this is gonna be a food truck you need to move the exhaust out the back.. you do not want the smell of diesel or an exhaust someone can burn them self on sticking out the side.

Nah, you're good Stuntman! I was thinking that they had them pre-set, but didn't go to the extent of looking it up lol.

I had already checked to he sure the Airdog would not cause problems (it is set at 15), thanks for mentioning it though.

Ken, there is no way to get the exhaust to the rear of the bus without going underneath the rear axle, so without just having a turndown and dumping it straight down, this is the only option. I didn't like the turndown idea because I didnt want the whole underside of the bus covered in soot. The engine will not be running when it is being used for vending though.

I had already checked to he sure the Airdog would not cause problems (it is set at 15), thanks for mentioning it though.

Ken, there is no way to get the exhaust to the rear of the bus without going underneath the rear axle, so without just having a turndown and dumping it straight down, this is the only option. I didn't like the turndown idea because I didnt want the whole underside of the bus covered in soot. The engine will not be running when it is being used for vending though.

well atleast check with food truck inspectors to make sure that is fine.. I know there have been a huge battle in Raleigh with food truck vendors and what the can and can not do and what type vehicles etc they can use..

just fyi

Ask and ye shall receive. Had to drill two new holes for the hydroboost setup, but it was actually pretty easy to put on. I will put the pump on when I pull the engine back out. Didnt really give much more room, at least not where I need it, but I might can make the steering shaft with only 3 joints now instead of 4.

Attachments

• 2012-08-29_12-47-43_191.jpg
    2012-08-29_12-47-43_191.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 558
Back