What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who leave car lengths of space between them and the car in front of them at lights and stop signs

worse are the ones who leave a tractor trailer length between themselves and the car in front when making a left turn when you've sat through 3 cycles of red lights already
This! WTH happened that made people start doing this? It pisses me off to no end.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

People who leave car lengths of space between them and the car in front of them at lights and stop signs

Get rear ended at a red light just once and you will change you position on this one.

Dad was stopped at a red light, when dude behind him on cell phone plowed into him at 50+ mph. Dad's truck was pushed forward into the back end of a Charlotte City Transit CATS bus.

He was ticketed for following too closely and all damages to the bus went against his insurance.
These days you see me at a rd light you can pull between me and the car in front until a I get a car stopped behind me then I creep forward.

Get rear ended at a red light just once and you will change you position on this one.

Dad was stopped at a red light, when dude behind him on cell phone plowed into him at 50+ mph. Dad's truck was pushed forward into the back end of a Charlotte City Transit CATS bus.

He was ticketed for following too closely and all damages to the bus went against his insurance.
These days you see me at a rd light you can pull between me and the car in front until a I get a car stopped behind me then I creep forward.

I do the same...saved me 2-3 weeks ago, but I was the first and only car at the red. Dude was coming up on my bumper fast, so I darted over in to the open turn lane. Guy ran the red light and almost got t-boned. Saw him pull over in a parking lot to change his boxers I assume.

For those who own a diesel truck, the OTHER diesel truck owners that insist on rolling coal on you or to race you.
Sorry you lost :burnout::driver::flipoff2:

No way is that legit and would not hold up in court, granted the judge had any common sense.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

No way is that legit and would not hold up in court, granted the judge had any common sense.

100% legit.
He fought it in court and hired an attorney. I think the ticket got reduced to $50 and no points but not eliminated but all damages went on his insurance.

100% legit.
He fought it in court and hired an attorney. I think the ticket got reduced to $50 and no points but not eliminated but all damages went on his insurance.
Whats the whole story? No way anyone could tell how far you were stopped behind someone if you got hit by someone going for real 50 mph. That is an incredible amount of force, and could push you 50 feet or more. Did he find out what the 'law' is for stopping behind someone at a stop light? The person that caused the accident wasn't responsible? What amount of financial liability were they hit with? What was the reasoning behind not putting all the blame on the person causing the wreck? Were there injuries? Who was responsible for those?

People who sing or whistle while they work!!

I can’t stand these little bastards either.
093916091d8741872b0a9a732d225a3b.jpg

Damn, dude. How about the 9th degree.

I apologize because this happened ...maybe 10 years ago so I may not have 100% documentation to answer every question you can dream up but... let me try

Whats the whole story?

Posted above. Dad is stopped at red light behind cats bus. Dude rear ends him without ever touching brakes. Dad is pushed forward into CATS bus.

No way anyone could tell how far you were stopped behind someone if you got hit by someone going for real 50 mph. That is an incredible amount of force, and could push you 50 feet or more.

Sure you can tell. Precisely. When he was sitting there with his foot on the brakes and got slammed from behind there were black marks from the point of where his tires were stopped. There was also broken glass and bulb lenses where he impacted the bus. That distance is then measured. An F-150 isnt pushing a damn full size bus 50' either.

Did he find out what the 'law' is for stopping behind someone at a stop light?
The explanation i remember was sort of vaugue. Basically if you hit the vehicle in front of you you were too close.

Maybe @tknopp can expand on the law there?

The person that caused the accident wasn't responsible? What amount of financial liability were they hit with? What was the reasoning behind not putting all the blame on the person causing the wreck? Were there injuries? Who was responsible for those?

As I recall it was basically chain reaction liability. Dude #1 hit dad. Dude #1 was responsible for all damages to duders SUV, Dad's Truck rear end damage and all injuries in those 2 vehicles. Duder went to hosptial, dad refused care.
Dad was then responsible for damage to Cat bus and front of his truck. I remember this specifically ebcause I friend did the repair and worked the deductible from the front into the rear.
Several riders on the CAT bus were taken via ambulance to the hospital. I have no idea what injuries if any existed beyond $100,00 rolls. Duder was taken to hospital and no clue about him other than he lived and showed up in court. Dad was sore for a few days but no major injuries except the collision caused his airbag to deploy and he cut his lip on a bottle he was spitting tobacco juice in and broke his lower partial and had to get new teeths made. I know this because he still bitches how the new lower piece doesnt fit like the old one (he had a separate major accident at 16 and knocked almost all his teeth out and has work dental pieces his whole life. The old one was 30+ years old at time of wreck and new one is a decae old now and he still bitches about it.)

Have I passed your credibility test your royal highness?

To answer Ron's question. As I understand it. Vehicle #1 strikes the rear of Vehicle #2. The force of the impact causes vehicle #2 to hit the rear of vehicle #3. This is called the domino effect and vehicle #1 would be "at fault" or responsible for the wreck. At least that's how it works in NC if the wreck is investigated and reported properly.

I dont have any facts to back up @Ron but that is what I was taught in drivers ed way back when. Bobby carrol was my drivers ed teacher. I remember him telling me that you need to be able to see the road under the rear tires of the car ahead of you when stopped. Maybe SC is different.

Since we're on driving pet peeves, here are two of mine: 1. driving past 1/4 or 3/8 of a mile of left turn lane only to slow nearly to a complete stop in the left through, or fast lane, and merge over 15 feet before the stop line at the intersection.

And no 2: usually the same people from number 1, stop in the left turn lane with 6 or 8 inches of car hanging over the white line into the fast lane so the dont scratch the rims on the concrete median I suppose even though ive comfortably fit a dually in the same lane with no issues.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

For those who own a diesel truck, the OTHER diesel truck owners that insist on rolling coal on you or to race you.

That's the BIGGEST crock of shit....I know how you drive.

I remember him telling me that you need to be able to see the road under the rear tires of the car ahead of you when stopped.
I know why this is taught, but it's a bad rule. What if I'm driving an Isuzu NPR, or conversely a Buick 225 Electra and I'm only 5' tall barely seeing over the steering wheel? Or the car in front of me is lowered almost dragging frame, or a lifted wrangler with a comp cut and no bumper?
Then how far back should you be???

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Nah...they've been out long enough that people know diesels can be fast as shit. However, if that 6.7 took the place of one of those old crappy 5 cylinder Mercedes engines and then you blew some doors off in a ragged on sedan...total sleeper :D

Whats the whole story? No way anyone could tell how far you were stopped behind someone if you got hit by someone going for real 50 mph. That is an incredible amount of force, and could push you 50 feet or more. Did he find out what the 'law' is for stopping behind someone at a stop light? The person that caused the accident wasn't responsible? What amount of financial liability were they hit with? What was the reasoning behind not putting all the blame on the person causing the wreck? Were there injuries? Who was responsible for those?

As was mentioned you can tell where a vehicle get hit. Debris and skid marks don't lie. But the terminology is failure to maintain distance to prevent an accident.

From what I've been told it's about percentage of liability. The middle vehicle shouldn't carry 100% liability but above 50%, IMHO.

As an aside, CATs will write a check (I've heard $1k) if you are on a bus involved in a MVC if you claim injuries.

The West Rowan High School driver's ed car that I get stuck behind in the mornings. Pretty sure its governed at about 40 MPH. Why they decide driving down 801 at 7:30 in the morning while everyone is on their way to work I have no idea. 55 MPH road and they'll have 20-30 cars stacked up behind them.

If every kid had a go-kart growing up everyone would be a better driver.

Back