URE Trail Work Day - Saturday May 22

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
I haven't seen an event posted. Only the chit chat threads..

But if your going to be out at URE this weekend. Get to the 'HUNT CAMP' by 9am and get signed up.

NC4x4 will be providing gloves and trash bags FREE !

There will be many groups out there doing tasks. Even if you hadn't planned to help out there isn't really much involved. You can easily incorporate your planned trail ride activities into helping out by simply agreeing to help pick up trash or helping with the other larger tasks. This could be shoveling out silt traps, hauling materials supplies for other work groups as well as actually spending a few hours doing some work. Not exactly sure what is planned but past work days big projects get worked on like installing split rail fence, corduroy bridges as well as repair of those.

We really need to show were capable of getting the needed man power there to help with larger projects.

I'll be there to hand out the gloves and trash bags rain or shine.

Here are some discussion threads:

http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89254

http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87831

There hasn't been a thread posted yet the Work Day in this section yet. Thanks for posting it. I just figured we had 2 chit chat threads, and some discussion in a event thread in here so I neglected to post something. Hopefully this will help further promote the work day for those last minute people that haven't seen the other threads. :beer:

Heading out in about 30 mins, see you guys there!

Leaving as soon as I write this and click

We had a medium/small turnout for the May Forest Service workday. We had 14 folks there to sign the volunteer sheet and those numbers were swelled to 24 by the arrival of the 4x4 Grace group. Thanks to everyone who came out!

And a BIG thanks to NC4x4 member badog for donating a banner for use at workdays. You'll have a hard time not noticing us now! THANKS Bobby!

We started out by installing a few pieces of guardrail on Rocky Mount Trail, right by the big mud holes close to the double parking lot.

From there, my group, paddlebroken, yager (and wife Val), BigClay, 96tacolx and 05jeep headed over to CTB's adopted trail, Sawmill, where we proceeded to work on the BMPs and silt traps. yager, a man of many talents, demonstrates proper BMP drainage repair.

After hot dogs provided free of charge by YHDG, thanks Terry, we were joined by oleblue and his Dad for some trail riding. The showers we experienced during the mornings work had left the trails extremely slick, but not dusty, and we enjoyed the rest of another fun day in the forest.

I gave you half priced hot dogs and NC4x4 took care of the other half which made them free. Can't forget the forum for doing this for us, also passed out the NC4x4 stickers that they provided to me free of charge also. I'd like to stay involved with the work days if I could. I appreciate the tip's that were thrown my way also, after you guys left us we got drowned by the rain! Like I said, it's water not paint! Thanks guys and gal!

Yager/JC do we need any more gloves for these "events"? I have access to cases of them if needed. PM me.

Gloves - I had picked up 30 at HF hoping it would be enough. Sadly not many showed and most were previous work day folks who were prepared.

That said, I think we should have these items available at any work day for those that need them. So having a few folks bringing them will ensure they are there all the time.

Look for an official announcement, later today, on how we will be staying more organized for future work day events at URE.

Here are the folks who I have record as showing up to help. I know some 4x4 grace guys showed up later on to help out but I don't have all their names.

Thanks You for those who did show up. I've personally made every excuse imaginable as to why I don't attend the work days. I've simply decided to make these a higher priority on my list and to stop making excuses.

Here's who we had:
Eli Pupavatz
Rick Jackson
Lee Hankins (Lefty)
Doyle Punches
John Craven (JC)
Mike Yager (Yager)
Valerie Yager
Nick Maul (oleblue)
Clay Whiteheart (BigClay)
Greg Caswell (96Tacolx)
Terry Moorefield (HotDogGuy)
Donnie Lawson (Other hot dog guy)

Personally I'd like to thank Zack, Rick's son. I think he is 5(or 6). He walked the entire Saw Mill Trail with us and I believe picked up the most cans. He didn't slow one bit and in fact kept us moving along. I also learned he now rides his bike with out training wheels. So big thanks to Zack for reminding me how much fun trail work days really can be.

Thanks NC4x4 and YHDG for the hotdogs yesterday! It was great to meet everyone, and it was also nice that Sawmill was not as "trashy" as I thought it would be.

I know there were about 10 Grace4x4 guys there and probably most of them are NC4x4 members also. Among the Grace/NC4x4 members were HANO, scjeep, jeep07 and 99ncxj plus a few others I recognized faces :) Maybe one of the Grace guys will chime in. I appreciated them making the effort to hook up with the workday crew before we headed out!

Jairbne1725 (Jason) and I showed up late (very late, around 3:30), We did not see many folks on the trails at all. It was a very muddy and slick ride. He was on a 2-stroke dirtbike and I on a 2WD 4-wheeler. We managed to pick up a small backpack full of trash. Actually the majority was beer cans and on dutch john, which by the way was very interesting on a dirtbike and 4-wheeler LOL. I wish I did not have to go into work Sat. morning but we still did what we could and had a great muddy time. I think we spent more time removing the mud than we did riding LOL.

Thanks for setting this up guys. We (4x4Grace) guys were more than happy to help with the clean up. I know we had several trash bags of cans by the end of the day. Looking forward to the next time something like this is setup so we can help again.

gmcjimmy88,99ncxj, sorry I missed you guys but thanks for your help. The best part for me was the group talk at the end of it all. Some good points were brought up and talked about! Good to see Cris Cagle from the Outpost out and sitting in on some of the talks!I bet the next time he orders a hot dog he ask's for the meat to be included!(made him one with chili only)no dog. LOL! Hope this continues to be a bi-monthly or monthly situation! If the right people get involved maybe this could bring in some clubs and who knows what a bunch of trail bums can accomplish! Your Hot Dog Guy!

gmcjimmy88,99ncxj, sorry I missed you guys but thanks for your help. The best part for me was the group talk at the end of it all. Some good points were brought up and talked about! Good to see Cris Cagle from the Outpost out and sitting in on some of the talks!I bet the next time he orders a hot dog he ask's for the meat to be included!(made him one with chili only)no dog. LOL! Hope this continues to be a bi-monthly or monthly situation! If the right people get involved maybe this could bring in some clubs and who knows what a bunch of trail bums can accomplish! Your Hot Dog Guy!

I have to say the post work day talk was a highlight of the trip. I know my name wasn't up on the list but Terry Savery and I rode Daniel doing Trail Inventory and ended up hiking a good bit of the trail in the pouring rain. So after that it was great to sit, talk, and get the idea pool going. Terry Savery had a lot of good input/information at the beginning of the talk/lunch, and then later with Cris, Terry (Hotdog) and the others had great input also. I am looking forward to the next work day no matter what my involvement may entail. :beer:

This was only my 3rd time to URE and the first ever off road event for my entire family. The group that I was with, CarolinaK5.com, always makes it a great time. I had crossed posted the orginally tread onto thier site, but they had already headed out when I did so. I spoke w/ Terry at the OutPost, sorry that I disappeared & that I didn't get that free sticker, but I went out to where CarolinaK5 group was meeting and we all went to sign in, got to the parking lot about 9:50, but we were to late and everybody was gone. But we did trail clean up all day, as I have always seen them do in the past, as we enjoyed our ride. I was shocked as what was on the trails. At one spot we picked up at least 2 Wal-mart size bags of trash, looked like somebody just stopped and cleaned out their rig right there. At the big mud hole, picked up an entire plastic inner fender.

Enjoyed meeting those that I was able to at the sign in, sorry I had to run wife & kids were waiting for me at the Outpost and I wanted to get back & get the group to the sign in. Will try to make the future events ang looking forward to that hotdog! A quick word of thanks for allowing me to contribute to the cause and still enjoy the planned ride that we had.

Eli Pupavatz name has been accidentally left off the list of folks who had attended the work day. His name has now been added to the list.

gmcjimmy88,99ncxj, sorry I missed you guys but thanks for your help.

I saw you setup at the double parkinglot when we came off rocky mtn. loop. I had planned on coming over and introducing myself but by the time I had the jeep loaded back on the trailer all I could think of was getting back to camp and eating. I was the guy that drove by in this "thing" around lunch time. Next time i'll make sure I stop by.

ai190.photobucket.com_albums_z249_99ncxj_xj_20axle_20swap_axleswap284.jpg

This was only my 3rd time to URE and the first ever off road event for my entire family. The group that I was with, CarolinaK5.com, always makes it a great time. I had crossed posted the orginally tread onto thier site, but they had already headed out when I did so. I spoke w/ Terry at the OutPost, sorry that I disappeared & that I didn't get that free sticker, but I went out to where CarolinaK5 group was meeting and we all went to sign in, got to the parking lot about 9:50, but we were to late and everybody was gone. But we did trail clean up all day, as I have always seen them do in the past, as we enjoyed our ride. I was shocked as what was on the trails. At one spot we picked up at least 2 Wal-mart size bags of trash, looked like somebody just stopped and cleaned out their rig right there. At the big mud hole, picked up an entire plastic inner fender.
Enjoyed meeting those that I was able to at the sign in, sorry I had to run wife & kids were waiting for me at the Outpost and I wanted to get back & get the group to the sign in. Will try to make the future events ang looking forward to that hotdog! A quick word of thanks for allowing me to contribute to the cause and still enjoy the planned ride that we had.

Lefty said it prefectly, we (Carolina K-5) came over to sign in and everyone was gone. So we headed out to wheel and pick up thrash, it seemed as though everywhere we turned there was trash. It's the worst that i've ever seen it. These MORONS that are throwing thrash is gonna hurt all of us. We didn't get to sign-in but we were there. At 1 point on Dutch John near a creek crossing on the right side of the trail , it looked as though someone just emptied out there rig, or just dumped thrash. Just an absolute shame, we'll be back there in a couple of months on another ride and do some more pick-up.

Sorry we missed you guys, but you will have another chance! Thanks for helping out though.

Sorry we missed you guys, but you will have another chance! Thanks for helping out though.

Thanks we"ll be back out there soon and do it again, we wanted to sign in for credit to you guys-but oh well maybe next time.

Back