Toyota 8” differential setup

jrlowscot

My buddy is trying to install new bearings in 86 4cy 4x4 Toyota rear differential. He got a kit off Amazon. Problem is the pinion is contacting the carrier. There is a washer/shim he reused below the inner pinion bearing. I am assuming he needs to remove this to get pinion further away from carrier. Any way to measure if he needs a smaller shim. He believes bearings and races are pressed on/in completely. He thinks removing it will still not give enough to clear carrier. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
There's early 8" and later 8" bearing kits out there. Pinion bearings are different between the 2. He needs to compare bearing numbers first thing.
Pinion depth shims can go under the bearing or under the race. Either will accomplish the same thing, taking up the same space. Pinion depth using 4 cyl gears in a 8" third is *usually* 0.088" as an initial depth.
Use that as a guide not as the final word.

Last edited:
When a friend was setting up an elocker rear for me we ran into an issue where an oil-baffle shim was preventing the solid pinion spacer from seating correctly. Deleted the baffle and it went together perfectly.

Back