TJ Axles. What's best for a 35" tire

Thanks for all the information guys... If I swap the axles I really think imma go with this set of full widths... I love the wide look and I think I would never have a issue out of a d44/9"

Untill then I'm gonna keep enjoying my d30/8.8 thanks for the tips guys!!!

keep in mind a stock 9" is no stronger than your current 8.8, if anything it is weaker. If you really want to have a strong axle you will have to drop some coin into a nodular third member and a fabricated housing. Also imo a low pinion 44 is marginally stronger than a high pinion 30, the only thing you are really gaining from it would be housing strength. If you really want to go full width save the coin and go tons eventually, otherwise swap a hp30 in the front and keep on rocking.

It's a HP44 with croms and the 9" has cromos as well both locked and geared 5:13 for 1k

I would go tons but I don't plan on building a big rig just something on 35-37s on coilovers

Untill I get axles I'm gonna enjoy this 8.8 it really has done well

SD 60 and Sterling 10.5. Done. :D

It's a HP44 with croms and the 9" has cromos as well both locked and geared 5:13 for 1k

I would go tons but I don't plan on building a big rig just something on 35-37s on coilovers

The third members tend to give people issues unless you use a nodular iron one or some other aftermarket one. I would just make sure it uses one or else you might be buying a lot more parts than you think.

And 9" puts your driveshaft in the dirt.

9" is basically a huge money sink.

What kind of Ujoints in those "chromos"? I ask because unless they are some sort of superjoint, you haven't changed your weak link from a Dana 30.
Just like @Lee said, without an upgrade to the third, that 9 isn't an upgrade at all.
Not trying to start anything, but a couple of well educated dudes are trying to help you.

I had an 8.8 and 30 in my TJ, 4:88s and LockRights. I eventually swapped to a 9/44 and really regretted the 9" swap. More locker options, higher pinion, and I could have ran adapters on the 8.8 to match the 44 and had the same width and lugs.
HP 44 does have the exact same size u joints and ears on the shafts. I noticed it during my swap and put a micrometer on them. For some reason though they do seem stronger.

For some reason though they do seem stronger.

They're exactly the same. Full width shafts might be marginally stronger along the shaft, because there's more shaft to twist and deflect. But the ears and joints are the same. 297/760s on both.

Yeah I had out a micrometer on them. Exact same. I thing most of it was having a stronger knuckle/bearing setup. I did beat the mess out of them with no issues though.

SD 60 and Sterling 10.5. Done. :D
:driver: full retard time then, the honey badger of stock axles.

I have nothing useful to add just curious as to the final choice of axles, everything has been covered already.

:driver: full retard time then, the honey badger of stock axles.

I have nothing useful to add just curious as to the final choice of axles, everything has been covered already.
Yep. Full retard. :lol:

For an average price of $400-$700 a set for the 99-04, and just as much fabwork, it was a no brainer for me.

Back