TIRES! Baja Claw Vs. IROKz

l3ig l3ronco

Joined the Band
Banned
Hey guys, im looking for some 37" tires, and was wondering what you'd suggest.

All I need to know is, how do you think Super Swamper IROKS (not IROK Radial) will perform in mud? I want to use 37x14, so im thinkin' theyre more than wide enough, but what about their tread?

ALso - how do you think the Baja Claws will do in mud? I heard theyll do bad, but waht do you guys think???

:wheel:

Those lil axles in the Bronco will go boom at that height if you lock it up.

Bias Ply is 1,000 times better than Radial offroad

Ther is no reason for a radial offroad tire. I have never seen any kind do well and be impressive. I have seen the 38.5 inch claws kick a$$ at tellico and of coarse the 39.5 inch Irocks as well. Both would be a good offroad tire. GO BIAS PLY!!!!!!!:driver: :Rockon: :D

I have has a lot of different sets of tires and almost all tires when i went bigger than a 32 were bias ply.

Ther is no reason for a radial offroad tire. I have never seen any kind do well and be impressive. I have seen the 38.5 inch claws kick a$$ at tellico and of coarse the 39.5 inch Irocks as well. Both would be a good offroad tire. GO BIAS PLY!!!!!!!:driver: :Rockon: :D

I have has a lot of different sets of tires and almost all tires when i went bigger than a 32 were bias ply.

You should be doing standup somewhere. I never fail to smile when I read one of your posts.

Thanks a lot man!!!!!!

I am just a funny and interesting and weird guy.:lol: :beer: I post like I talk. I am 100%real on here unlike a lot of the 17 year olds with too much of mommy's and dady's money and cars and private schools and stuff. Nothing wrong with being born with a golden sppon in your mouth, heck a lot of my friends are. They don't really have to work and spend most of the time at their parents beach houses. But they are NICE KIND CARING guys and thats all that matters. :Rockon:

Ther is no reason for a radial offroad tire. I have never seen any kind do well and be impressive.

Yeah, because Krawlers suck. :rolleyes:

Want a mud tire? get a Bogger, cut the little lugs.

So you've never owned a radial tire bigger than 32s? We've got a guy in our group that freakin HATES his 35 bias claws. I mean hates'em. 34 radial truxxus made those claws look stupid at tellico with the same setup (both truetrac front and detroit rear, both teralow tjs) similar tire pressures.

So you've never owned a radial tire bigger than 32s? We've got a guy in our group that freakin HATES his 35 bias claws. I mean hates'em. 34 radial truxxus made those claws look stupid at tellico with the same setup (both truetrac front and detroit rear, both teralow tjs) similar tire pressures.

35 bias
34 radial
similar tire pressure

Unless we got beadocks in the equation, you have identified part of your reason right there.

Bias tires will have stiffer side walls due to their construction style and will generally require ignificantly lower pressures to spread as much as a comparable radial.

I have never owned claws, and probably never will ($$$) but I have seen them perform well...

Then again a bad driver could make Krawlers look slick, and a great driver could probably make thornbirds... well I wont go THAT far

Those lil axles in the Bronco will go boom at that height if you lock it up.
I agree. If you're wheeling that thing even moderately hard on 37's, you're 1/2 ton stuff won't cooperate with you for long, even with open diffs.
Yeah, because Krawlers suck. :rolleyes:
Do they make a radial Krawler?

Claws would work alright in the swamp where most of the mud is thin and watery, but they won't clean well in the thick mud. Any Swamper (TSL, Bogger, LTB, IROK, etc - pretty much anything except Thornbirds and the Trxus STS) will smoke the Claw in the mud/

just my .02 cents worth here. . .

. . .I'd go for the IROK (radial or bias). I've had a couple of different mud terrain tires and nothing seems to adapt to the conditions more like the Irok does. They clean out great, wear decently if they're rotated (radial), and a just a kick-ass tire. One that I won't run again are the MT/Rs. They bite like a sticky bugar on rocks, but are slicker snot when they gum up with mud. As for the Iroks, they'll bit like that sticky bugar and still wipe their nose when it its time to "go fer it". . .

Claws would work alright in the swamp where most of the mud is thin and watery, but they won't clean well in the thick mud. Any Swamper (TSL, Bogger, LTB, IROK, etc - pretty much anything except Thornbirds and the Trxus STS) will smoke the Claw in the mud/

yep, that is why they were made for the rock. but put they on backwards in mud and they rock. just like my Xterrians.

35 bias
34 radial
similar tire pressure
Unless we got beadocks in the equation, you have identified part of your reason right there.
Bias tires will have stiffer side walls due to their construction style and will generally require ignificantly lower pressures to spread as much as a comparable radial.
I have never owned claws, and probably never will ($$$) but I have seen them perform well...
Then again a bad driver could make Krawlers look slick, and a great driver could probably make thornbirds... well I wont go THAT far
So now its not as simple as BIAS good RADIAL bad. You mean there are other things like vehicle, tire pressure beadocks and such to consider? This argument might be more complex:rolleyes: . I've always suggested that you can't make it easy for yourself by saying RADIALs are for DDs and BIAS for hardcore folks. The tire people want the best of both and they'll get it one day. But when I get the chance I'm switching to 36 IROK BIAS so (at least for the IROKs) the argument will be over for me.

Back