The Magnum YJ

Fuel cell should be here Wednesday!

got a little bit done today, hopefully will get the driver seat mounted tomorrow and finish plating the frame.

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

not many updates because our air compressor pump locked up last week. New pump came in and the service guy was going to install and when he got here he noticed that the new pump they sent was busted thanks to shitty UPS workers. So now i'm without an air compressor for another week and a half..:kaioken:

IMG_1760.jpg

Been awhile since I've posted an update on here. Should be on the road this weekend.. I hope.
Haven't taken many pictures recently. I'll post a lot more of the floor later on today.

IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG

Drove it around the yard for the first time today was awesome for it to finally move under its own power! Eventually there is going to be a full console built over the new trans tunnel and shifter. However once I bleed the brakes and all I'll be able to drive it on the road.

One main thing I learned from this swap is to never v8 swap your daily driver... At least its almost finished and I can get the ol' Jeep back on the road.

Little bit of seam sealer and maybe some more grinding and the floor will be mostly finished. Still gotta make seat belt tabs and passenger side seat mounts. Not sure if I already said this but there will eventually be a full console type thing over the shifter and all the way back closer towards the fuel cell.

Also got the traction bar built and mounted today, took it for a spin around the yard it's got a lot of power. I would've taken a video but it was dark out.

Getting an exhaust put in on this thing is going to be very tough as everything is so tight up under the Jeep.

I've got a bad power steering leak so going to buy a new pump tomorrow and replace it. Theres also a bad ATF leaf where the Trans and T-case bolt together. I changed the trans output shaft seal and it still leaks. Not sure why but it's got me pretty irritated because I hate taking out the transfercase..

IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

Drove it a few miles down the road today! It's crazy the amount of power it has now compared to the 4cyl. I was rolling about 20mph stomped the gas and it broke traction, gets a little scary in a lifted Jeep!

Few things I need to look into though. Sometimes whenever I come to a stop it'll stall, however this could possibly be because I barely have any gas in the fuel cell?
Then there's a possible alternator problem. The voltage stays a little above 9 when idling and when you stomp the gas the voltage climbs and the dashlights/headlights brighten.

At certain RPMs the artec fuel cell mount on the fuel cell vibrates really bad so I'm going to add some type of rubber or foam between the two to deaden the sound.

Still need to replace power steering pump and finish painting the floors.

This is the only pic I took today.. Flowmaster muffler was given to me so I'm not too sure what kind it is specifically but it sounds good.
IMG_0023.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 264
Drove it a little more today. Only sometimes when I come to a stop the engine will stall out. The gas tank gasket I made sucks and leaks really bad gotta fix that. Does anyone know where I can get some gasket material that is fuel resistant and rubber? I bought some paper gasket material that is fuel resistance from a local auto parts store but it sucks.

Also I think I need to swap the Oil pressure sensor. It reads really low and I've read on other peoples swaps that you're supposed to swap the oil pressure sensor from the 2.5 to the 5.2.
Speedo still doesn't work. Hasn't worked in almost a year and a half now. I think its the magnetic sensor on the SYE.

I'll try to get a video uploaded tomorrow driving it around.

The stalling is from not having a vss to the computer

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Hmm that could make sense especially since my speedometer doesn't work. I'm like 99% sure the VSS is wired up correctly however the actual sensor may be bad. I have a JB conversions super short SYE and they use the same speed sensor which is used in TJ Rubicons and its like $70 from a parts store. I might pick one up tomorrow, swap it out and see if it solves the problem. If not I guess I'll have to look back into the wiring and check everything again.

BWD SN7267 - Speed Control Sensor | O'Reilly Auto Parts speed sensor

Anyone ever got death wobble in a leaf sprung vehicle? I got it for the first time today it was crazy. My driver side caliper was stuck and it kept happening anytime I got over 40mph. I swapped it out with a new one today and it hasn't happened since.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a very quiet muffler? The one I'm currently running is way too loud for me.

Anyone ever got death wobble in a leaf sprung vehicle? I got it for the first time today it was crazy. My driver side caliper was stuck and it kept happening anytime I got over 40mph. I swapped it out with a new one today and it hasn't happened since.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a very quiet muffler? The one I'm currently running is way too loud for me.

Add a high flow cat with muffler the cat will knock alot of sound down.

Took it to Uwharrie Friday afternoon hit a few trails and headed home. The Jeep did alright. Still having a big problem with it stalling out. Most of the time when I start it I have to give it some gas otherwise it'll start then just stall out. It'll also stall out sometimes when coming to a stop. It happens more often when I stop really quick after giving it lots of throttle. I changed the IAC it didn't help. Also tried removing the Air intake I had because I thought it may have not been getting enough air but neither helped.

IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG

After messing with it a lot more this past weekend we found out that the computer was messed up. WE hooked up noid lights and the first injector wire was all over the place for one second it would have constant power coming to it, then it would cut off, then occasionally it would look normal. After looking through the whole wiring harness again I finally figured out if you start tapping the PCM it would start messing up.

Opened up the old PCM someone has messed with it before...
IMG_0079.jpg

Went to the Junkyard the next day bought a new PCM hooked it up and everything seemed perfectly fine besides it still running very rich for about 30 minutes. Then on the way to Charlotte it started to misfire really bad again. So I changed the spark plugs last night and it hasn't misfired anymore since then however it is still running very rich and smoking out then exhaust a little bit when driving. Also when ever I stomp the gas while driving a small cloud of black smoke comes out... One of the only things I haven't changed on this engine now is the injectors, I know they're all working and sound fairly normal when using a stethoscope.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.png
    IMG_0088.png
    786.3 KB · Views: 313
Swapped Injectors for the right year of the engine and the TPS. The engine seems to have much more power now and haven't had any problems with it misfiring and running horribly within the last few days.

The injectors I previously had in it were from a newer 318, a 97 I believe and my engine is a 94. When looking the injectors up on parts store websites two years had different part numbers so there must be something slightly different between the two.

Its for sale if anyone is interested! Unfortunately I need to get a more fuel efficient vehicle for commuting back and fourth to school. PM if you're interested.

such a nice job! read thru after your vehicle posting. So is still running too rich or is it just the norm fuel economy for a 5.2l?

such a nice job! read thru after your vehicle posting. So is still running too rich or is it just the norm fuel economy for a 5.2l?

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Its running still running a little rich but no where near as bad as it was. I still need to buy a new o2 sensor which is more than likely the problem. Just haven't had much time to deal with it with school.

No real updates just a few pics I took over Thanksgiving break.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG

Still need to get build some rear corner guards to make the rear fender well look better. I also kind of miss the stock front fenders, regret cutting them now even though they were dented to shit.
Or just through some tons, 40s, and comp cut the rear???

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Back