Street legal buggy

Well he pulled my buddy over with a sammi buggy and wrote him several tickets, and we weren't speeding or anything the sammi was in the middle of a convoy of about 5 rigs, I was leading at 20mph. He got hit for expired tag, broken brake light lens, brake light out, no inspection, no side marker lights and something else. We were headed to the Daniel trailhead from the double parking lot on 553. I figured after that I'd heep everything legal as hell cause the added amount of all those fines was pretty big LOL

Sounds like he was asking for a ticket with everything wrong that you listed

I'm not sure if it was a holiday that was two or three years ago. He wasn't innocent for sure, but the ranger said the reason for pulling him originally was the tail light lens, even though it had red LEDs so it still lit up red the reflector was missing since it broke and some of the LEDs didn't light, once he started writing tickets he just kept going LOL. My buddies rig is basically a trailer queen anyway he just didn't want to load it up to drive 5 minutes to Daniel.

Sounds like he was asking for a ticket with everything wrong that you listed
For sure, my point was if the brake light lens had been good he probably wouldn't have pulled us because he wouldn't have seen the tag most likely in the dust. If you keep your wheeling rig legal enough to pass an inspection you don't have to worry about getting pulled in the first place.

I think the whole Uwharrie deal is a crap shoot. I have been out there on the dirtbike and rode out on the gravel roads back to the double parking lot after busting a clutch lever and had the ranger just wave at me. Other times they have been sitting in the double parking lot waiting for someone to cross the road the wrong way. I watched them give a guy on a quad a ticket for riding it down the gravel road for about 10 feet just to get it to the loading ramp. Not sure he could have gone any other way that day considering how many trucks were parked there.

I'm not sure if it was a holiday that was two or three years ago. He wasn't innocent for sure, but the ranger said the reason for pulling him originally was the tail light lens, even though it had red LEDs so it still lit up red the reflector was missing since it broke and some of the LEDs didn't light, once he started writing tickets he just kept going LOL. My buddies rig is basically a trailer queen anyway he just didn't want to load it up to drive 5 minutes to Daniel.
I posted it.....
How does no one seem to know what is required for inspection? Have y'all never gotten a vehicle inspected before? You get a checklist each time. Outlines what is required.

I have been pulled over by Officer Foote at URE checking that my tag matched the VIN number on my trail rig. Once he saw everything was kosher, he told me to have a nice day.

Well then why the continued questions and confusion?

Because the requirements for a 2014 vehicle versus a 1994 vehicle versus a 1958 vehicle and a "home built" vehicle are all different. I'm not even sure the state knows because when I asked the state the answer I received was different every time

1996-current are the same. OBD2 emissions along with the safety (well, now 3 year old and newer with less than 70k miles are exempt, but that is not relevant here)
1981-1995....strictly safety (visual) there is a checklist. No matter what engine is in the vehicle. They go off the vehicle VIN. However, each person doing the inspection is different. They may not even open the hood or look for a proper exhaust, but they are then breaking the law.
Older than 1981....no inspection is required. However, I doubt that the police will let you drive without headlights/tailights/brake lights, nor would you want to.

1996-current are the same. OBD2 emissions along with the safety (well, now 3 year old and newer with less than 70k miles are exempt, but that is not relevant here)
1981-1995....strictly safety (visual) there is a checklist. No matter what engine is in the vehicle. They go off the vehicle VIN. However, each person doing the inspection is different. They may not even open the hood or look for a proper exhaust, but they are then breaking the law.
Older than 1981....no inspection is required. However, I doubt that the police will let you drive without headlights/tailights/brake lights, nor would you want to.

Ok so what are the requirements for a custom full tube buggy?

To get in titled/insured/drive on the street?

Do you have a title/VIN from a donor frame? If you do, then you go off that (year for inspection requirements and VIN for registration purposes)

If not, then you can get a homebuilt/custom title. There is a list of requirements to go through that process. Vehicle will have to be photographed and signed off to document that the custom vehicle meets DOT safety inspections (which have been outlined before)

NCDOT: Other Vehicle Types to Register

Why is there an emissions components screen on 35 years old to 1996? By law if it came on the vehicle it has to remain on the vehicle. It is a visual inspection and all items have to be present and accounted for.

To get in titled/insured/drive on the street?

Do you have a title/VIN from a donor frame? If you do, then you go off that (year for inspection requirements and VIN for registration purposes)

If not, then you can get a homebuilt/custom title. There is a list of requirements to go through that process. Vehicle will have to be photographed and signed off to document that the custom vehicle meets DOT safety inspections (which have been outlined before)

NCDOT: Other Vehicle Types to Register

I'm glad you came here to stir the pot and restate everything that has already been stated.

Yea...didn't type that out completely. that is why I mentioned the opening the hood part. Yes, the inspector is supposed to visually check for emission components, but that may or may not happen.

If it was so clearly stated, then why all the further questions?
It seems to me it had been clearly stated, there are a few different topics in this thread running in parallel

Let's go off topic yet again. My trap is titled as a 1978 S/W, not insured and obviously not tagged. Beat to death and it shows the damage proudly.
It's kinda like a Corvair, unsafe at any speed. Now.
Drove it from the old URE stables right down 109 to the trails. Passed Officer Foote and another FS officer @ Dutch John parking lot.
They looked, smiled and waved as i pulled in for lunch. Ask Terry and Belinda. ;)
Soooo, what is the deal at URE? Selective enforcement?
Flame away if you must. I will return fire.
Paul...

Back