School me on sterling 10.25 vs 10.5

What are you thinking of doing now? They are very similar. We do a ton of Sterling upgrades at UJOR. Watch out, they are somewhat costly to upgrade vs. Dana rears or 14 Bolts.
We usually keep some Sterlings in stock too.

The 10.25 and 10.5 are similar enough to one another not to worry about.

They're both tremendous pieces of junk, too.

:flipoff2:

Got a buddy with a cj5 that found a 10.5 for cheap. Drums and 3.55 gears. Trying to see if it's worth it.

Compared to a d60 isn't it stronger?

But after $400 disk brake conversion and gears and locker... I'm starting to lean away.

14 bolt FF

They'll never hold up will they Shawn?

Mine didn't. :flipoff2:

And I sunk twice as much money into the 10.25 as I did a 14 bolt. I'd sooner put a tone ring in a 14 bolt than justify a 10.25's existence by using it as a boat anchor.

I do have one I'll sell you, though. Cheap.

Actually... that's not a terrible idea. If you can use it, I'll put it in the truck next time I'm heading your way.

But after $400 disk brake conversion and gears and locker... I'm starting to lean away.
You can have disc brakes alot cheaper than that. Brackets from one of many vendors, E350 rotors and some cheap as hell standard chevy calipers. I run a 10.25 w/5.38's/42's/V8. Its been abused as much as any axle out there and other than shearing off all the axle flange bolts once I've never had an issue with it.

Pros/cons of each and how easy is it to find parts and upgrades?

Thanks,
Tilley

They both take the same carrier or locker, but the 10.5 has a bigger ring gear by .25. Also early years of the 10.25 have a weak pinion. The biggest difference is that the 10.5 comes with factory disc brakes. Also the 10.5 has a metric lug pattern.

Back