Robotics/RC People - Servo question (throttle control)

If your jeep has cruise control the write up on mallcrawlin shows how to do all this and still retain factory cruise. Bump the throttle wot if u want. Use a momentary dpdt switch to raise and lower rpm. Use a standard on off switch to arm. If your jeep doesn't have cruise, just get the servo from one in a yard. If you can't figure out the wiring for that setup off the diagram at mallcrawlin, pm me or post here and ill see about setting you straight.

If your jeep has cruise control the write up on mallcrawlin shows how to do all this and still retain factory cruise. Bump the throttle wot if u want. Use a momentary dpdt switch to raise and lower rpm. Use a standard on off switch to arm. If your jeep doesn't have cruise, just get the servo from one in a yard. If you can't figure out the wiring for that setup off the diagram at mallcrawlin, pm me or post here and ill see about setting you straight.

Hell yeah!, and I can keep the nifty switch.

NOW I see what you was gettin at.:shaking:

Still need the momentary switch, and the relays, and relay sockets make wiring relays easier.

But now it won't be quite as hard as I was makin it,. Should I take pictures and do a write up as I go the mallcrawlin route?

Sure if you want to. The wiring is slightly different (easier) if you are installing this into a vehicle (jeep or not) without factory cruise.

Heres the link to the writeup: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?2797-Using-cruise-servo-to-control-idle

If you need help figuring out the non cruise way to add this I can try to dig up the wiring diagram I made up when I put a 94 Grand Cherokee cruise servo on my 78 F150.

Sure if you want to. The wiring is slightly different (easier) if you are installing this into a vehicle (jeep or not) without factory cruise.

Heres the link to the writeup: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?2797-Using-cruise-servo-to-control-idle

If you need help figuring out the non cruise way to add this I can try to dig up the wiring diagram I made up when I put a 94 Grand Cherokee cruise servo on my 78 F150.

If you can find it i'd take a look at your diagram too.

I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home from work tonight. If I find it I'll post it up tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

You're still making it 10x more complicated than it needs to be.

One vac solenoid, one switch. Done.

You're still making it 10x more complicated than it needs to be.
One vac solenoid, one switch. Done.

how does the solenoid work? the 12v signal activates it and the vac hold it open until the 12v signal is gone? Is this correct? and I'm thinking the length of the pull won't be enough to get the increase in rpms I'd want.

i think what shawn is referring to is a throttle kicker. They can be vacuum operated with a 12v control. Uses engine vac to (pull)push out a specific distance usually can thread the shaft end in/out as needed. They do make straight 12v kickers, that do the same thing. When off they pull back away from the throttle lever.

I don't know much about LJs but on many vehicles there is a pressure sensor in the steering hose that will bump the idle up during parking lot maneuvers when steering pressure is low. The triggers a 'pinch' mode that helps maintain ease of steering. Its easy to manually trigger that. You'd have to see if you had one and it took 12v.. It only steps it up some though...

From what I've read the 4cyl Tjs have the power steering pressure switch, and when it activates its a 100rpm bump.

I have that line in the black pcm connector traced it's A12(if's it's there and maybe it's in ALL TJs)

I'm liking the cruise actuated idea, to bump rpm up and down as much as I want, the bear will be the wiring of those 4 relays and there isn't much wire from the cruise relay to play with.

I didn't really think of/go with solenoids, as it's not something _I_ really have much knowledge/experience of.

AND like Terry mentioned, I MIGHT have gremlins elsewhere (battery/alternator)

No, just a vacuum solenoid. Give it 12V, it opens a valve, makes a vacuum leak, spins up idle. Good ones are adjustable.

I'm going to do it just for the throttle control, up and down. Since the control button/switch is a momentary two way switch, I'm going to look around and find one that I can mount to my shifter and make it into an electronic throttle control also. Like a hand throttle but overkill.

As for over complicated. I made a fan bus controller for my PC, where I can control the speed of every fan in my PC, 5v(low) off 12v(high), with LEDs and switches, just to give an idea of the kind of stuff I do, from time to time.

Attachments

• RPM Control.jpg
    RPM Control.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 384
I use mine like a cruise control on the trail, LOL. It's also great for hill climbing if you're running a straight drive. I'm still looking for the other diagram I drew up. I'll post it or draw it soon. Basically you only use one relay if you're not retaining a factory cruise.

Back