Removing D30 carrier

willness33

Here for the memes
Got this empty housing that I cannot beat or pry this carrier out of. It's not installed on anything and is stripped down to just the pinion and carrier. I need to get the carrier out kind of carefully, one, so I don't lose the shims and two, I'm reusing this gear set, carrier and housing on my daughter's jeep. It's a 4.11 gear and it's got a lunchbox locker in it. All I need to do is get the locker out to put in spider gears because my kid has no reason for locked axles. Cross pin won't clear the ring gear otherwise. TIA
Oh and ignore the slivers of toobafore.
17114831980017366994172058295523.jpg

Option 1 is just put the axle together and install it while it's all bolted in, then pry it out. Option 2 is somehow make this thing stick to the ground and use a strap on the engine hoist.
Option 3 is maybe some of the more skilled gear guys have a trick and will save me hours of drinking and coming up with bad ideas to try.

The correct way is to use a D30/D44 case spreader. This tool has pins that go into the round holes on either side of the housing and spreads the housing to install/remove the carrier.

Personally - I was too cheap to buy the tool. Instead, I used a pair of pry bars to pull the carrier out using the ring gear bolt heads. 1 pry bar towards the top and 1 towards the bottom. Have a blanket below to cushion the carriers fall.

I have a pair of matching 18" pry bars for this purpose. When those don't work, I have a pair of matching 30" prybars. When those don't work, you can put a wrench on the ring gear bolt and a pipe wrench on the yoke and use the gear pitch to push it out, just make sure you're going the right way. ;)

Lay the legs of the hoist over the housing and use the arm to pull the carrier.
That's an awesome idea. Got it with the rags and pry bars though. I've pulled carriers in the mud but they were still in the vehicle. Having the whole bare housing flopping around was confounding me.

Back