Raising Awareness During Workdays

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
If you attended the last work day you probably heard me say something at least once about the people driving by not saying anything. Not making excuses for these people, because as I stated many times during the work day its common sense. You see guard railing, people with tools etc, you get the idea

People drive by, look over, see a group working, and keep driving. There isn't anything making them aware of what is going on. It takes effort on their part to think about what is going on (using common sense). If we can raise awareness of what is going on, we very may get more people involved. At the very least get the thought going through their head "Hey they are working to keep the trails open, what can I do to do my part?".

Easiest way to do this is to draw attention to what we are doing. First thing that comes to mind is signs. So I came up with this design:

trailworksign.png

I figure combined with a couple traffic cones (custom printed with NC4X4.COM on them), it would make a big difference in raising awareness about what is going on. If we get just one person involved in the work days through this effort it will have been worth it.

What do you guys think?

I have not been up there yet maybe my first time there will be a work day. That sign is a good idea. Maybe some stickers as well for people who help out you know how we love to put stickers on our rigs.

I don't think anyone will pay attention to stickers. But a couple of signs like a road construction sign standing up in a cone wouldn't be a bad idea.

I was thinking of a flyer. We could maybe hand out to the people driving by as we work. Nothing huge, something where you could make three out of a piece of regular printer paper.

What's going on, when the work days are, the different clubs/forums involved, the plans for URE, and how volunteers are needed.

What can YOU do for the forest service not what can the forest service do for you? HELP KEEP THE TRAILS OPEN.

It SHOULDN'T be much to print up, since every time I come out of walmart my windshield has at least ONE.

We could take turns standing as the flyer passer outter and hand them out as the people pass by.

Maybe at the very bottom but something like don't litter/pack your trash out/use trash cans.

EDIT:

ALSO you could print that work day volunteer on that magnetic printer stock and stick them on the sides of the work vehicles. A run through a laminator would make em waterproof. I'll see if I can't dig up a sheet and make a test run. That would be pretty inexpensive.

I started to type up another of my long-winded, the-way-it-used-to-be, soap-box rants, but something rattled my little brain and told me to forget about it. That's all ancient history, and now is now. So, here is my two cents without the extras...

Eli, you are doing a darn fine job as the workday coordinator, and I can't think of anyone more suitable for the job. It is very clear to me that your heart is in it, and that is what it will take to make this thing work. it was a pleasure to work with you this past weekend, and I look forward to doing it again.

I think the sign might actually be a good idea. There is no doubt in my mind that the majority of those who drive past don't have a clue as to what we are doing, and I am also fairly certain that some couldn't care less. However, a sign exactly as you have proposed might just snag one every now and then. I say, go for it!

As for handouts, flyers, etc., I think possibly they may just end up being more trash for someone (us) to have to pick up. On the other hand, if they were given only to those stopped, or expressed interest, then maybe.

One last thought that pops up occasionally may also be helpful. That is K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). It's worked for me more than once. :)

You're right on a lot of things. I thought that the flyers would just wind up as trash on the trails, but I like the idea of maybe still having them for anyone who may possibly express interest. I like that a lot better than just handing them out to everyone.

Also a few times I saw what could only be described as aggravation, not really pissed off but the look of having to endure some hardship by us parking on the trail. I heard one guy go "aww man" when they had to veer over and get some backwoods pinstriping from some overhanging limbs.....don't get me started.

I know there are some people out there who just don't care, but I want to do all I/we can do to get the word out and hopefully reach the people who don't know what to do help, and want to help.

I was thinking a simple one page flyer, with information about the work days and volunteering, with the forum address and the addresses of all the clubs that have been known to volunteer and possibly where they are based out of, and maybe even email addresses of people for them to contact.

Again this would be something that could be handed to the people who expressed an interest. I'd be willing to make and print them up. Maybe like 50, cause all it would really cost is ink and paper, which I have plenty of.

I have not been up there yet maybe my first time there will be a work day. That sign is a good idea. Maybe some stickers as well for people who help out you know how we love to put stickers on our rigs.

I would check the "Stickers on Stickers" thread:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89869

If you were thinking of something different just let me know.

But a couple of signs like a road construction sign standing up in a cone wouldn't be a bad idea.

This is exactly the idea the inspired the above sign. It is based on a construction "ROAD WORK AHEAD" sign . I figure 1 sign plus 2 cones leading up from one way, and the same 1 sign and cones coming up from the other way so trail traffic from both directions gets the message. That totals to 4 cones and 2 signs. Here is the perfect situation scenario (keep in mind this may only happen once or twice a work day):

- Person riding the trails sees the sign, reads it, it sparks their interest.

- They see the 2 cones with "NC4X4.COM" on them, and wonder if that means anything.

- The slow down/stop to say something when they get to the group, and we hand them a flyer.

This brings up the flyer topic. I think if we only handed them out to those who slowed/stopped to show interest it wouldn't be a big trash issue. We on the other hand wouldn't want to hand them out to everyone, which would turn into a trash issue.

@ Granny: If you ever have time to re-type that post about how things used to go, feel free to send it to me VIA pm. It would be great information for me.

Now here is the catch to all this. Do you think all of the above is worth a $100 investment? Because here is how the cost breaks down:

$26.80 per corrugated plastic 16"x24" sign
$10.95 per 18" orange cone printed with "NC4X4.COM"

2 signs and 4 cones = $97.40

That doesn't include shipping.

Feel free to post if you have a resource that could do it for cheaper. I could probably cover a sign, or 2 cones. But I can't cover the $100+ for the entire thing. So again, let me know what you guys think.

Eli, let me check with someone about the signs. The fliers are also a great idea. A lot better then trying to explain everything to every person that shows the slightest amount of interest.

Can't we just grab some regular cones and slap NC4X4 stickers on them?

Can't we just grab some regular cones and slap NC4X4 stickers on them?

We could paint NC4X4.COM on them with stencils etc I figured. The printing is $2 more a cone, so its not extremely expensive. Figure $8 or a little less in materials to paint the cones, or $8 for them to be labeled.

Let me know about the signs, because all the places I have quoted aren't cheap. You double the price if you want it made on .040" Aluminum.

ping
mcjeep
Mike can hook you up on the corrugated siigns I believe

EDIT:

ALSO you could print that work day volunteer on that magnetic printer stock and stick them on the sides of the work vehicles. A run through a laminator would make em waterproof. I'll see if I can't dig up a sheet and make a test run. That would be pretty inexpensive.

The square magnet signs that you can put on the doors of vehicles would be awesome. I never considered the idea because I figured it would be too cost intensive. Having them slapped on the sides of our vehicles would be great for while we are moving between work sites etc on the trails.

@ Granny: PM replied. :beer:

Could you work me something up like the first orange sign above but something along the lines of work day volunteer vehicle or something like that. keep the orange. add a nc4x4 logo in there maybe.

follow me to help keep the trails open at the bottom maybe.

As soon as I get that I'll try and get a test run on one asap.

lamination and paper would essentially be free, the magnetic sheet/backing would be the only cost really.

I can donate two large orange cones. The AT&T clowns who buried a new phone line down the side of my road while proceeding to cut my phone line, left two cones on the side of the road. It has been over a month, so I don't think they are coming back for them.

I agree with a lot said and the best one is KISS. Have some body stand on the trail and say"sorry we are holding you up a little, just trying to keep the trails and URE open for you!" Said in a humerous and joking sincere manor is the key! And when asked questions, fill them in about the efforts! Word of mouth is priceless, quick...tell me what MY sign says at my cart!

I agree with a lot said and the best one is KISS. Have some body stand on the trail and say"sorry we are holding you up a little, just trying to keep the trails and URE open for you!" Said in a humerous and joking sincere manor is the key! And when asked questions, fill them in about the efforts! Word of mouth is priceless, quick...tell me what MY sign says at my cart!
It's a rock... get over it! ?:lol:

Very good, but I was referring to the sign that I'm required to have by URE. Even the Menu price board is never read! What I'm trying to get across is people don't read.

Two large orange cones are now in my garage. Maybe I can bring them out to the next workday or give them to someone.

Could you work me something up like the first orange sign above but something along the lines of work day volunteer vehicle or something like that. keep the orange. add a nc4x4 logo in there maybe.
follow me to help keep the trails open at the bottom maybe.
As soon as I get that I'll try and get a test run on one asap.
lamination and paper would essentially be free, the magnetic sheet/backing would be the only cost really.

volunteersign.png

If you need it blown up bigger just let me know. I would have put an NC4X4.COM logo on there etc, but just keeping it as simple and to the point as possible.

I can donate two large orange cones. The AT&T clowns who buried a new phone line down the side of my road while proceeding to cut my phone line, left two cones on the side of the road. It has been over a month, so I don't think they are coming back for them.

That would be awesome. Would save us the cost of 2 cones. Thanks!

Word of mouth is priceless, quick...tell me what MY sign says at my cart!

Unless I am mistaken I may actually know about the sign you are talking about. The one that says "Operating under a Permit etc etc etc".

Someone is covering the signs, I will let them speak up if they wish. But a big thanks to them!

So we still have the cones left. I figure we can stencil/spray paint on NC4X4.COM if we want later, saving us $2 a cone. So two 18" Cones are $17.90 before shipping, which they are fairly small. But I figure with the larger donated cones it will work good having one big, one small per side.

This now allows us the option to get some other signs to put on 2 of the cones. This is the design I figured would do us the most good:

SLOW.gif

There are "Workers Ahead", versions etc. But that is what the "Trail Work Ahead" Signs are for. I did notice during the work day a lot of the dirt bikes still went by us fairly fast. The last thing we need is someone getting hurt. These little signs are $12.50 a pop putting the cost for them (2) at $25 before shipping.

Shipping is $20, bringing the total to $63.46. If you wish to pitch in to help cover the $63.46 send me a PM. We can do Paypal or cash at a work day etc.

Lastly I got a steal on a strobe light kit. This will be a nice safety feature when ever we move into working on the forest service roads, and what a better way to raise awareness than a truck sitting on the side of the trail with strobe lights on. :beer:

Back