Off-Road Recovery @ Uwharrie

RoverGang

Hi,

Does anyone have recommendations / referrals for off-road recovery companies or private off-road recovery rigs that will tow / recover vehicles from Uwharrie?

I'm not as worried about getting stuck and needing recovery from a given obstacle, moreso worried about breaking down and needing recovery from a given trail altogether. I'm more worried about certain mechanical failures that will render my truck undriveable (i.e. alternator dying). If that type of breakdown ever occurs, I'd want to move my truck off the trails as soon as possible (if the problem can't be fixed right away or I dont have the part(s) to fix right away).

Does anyone have any recommendations for off-road recovery companies/people that can tow me off the trails, in the event that I break down on the trails @ Uwharrie?

I've read that people have had to be towed off the trails when broken down.. just wondering who could help with this type of towing job?

Thanks

Last edited:
You deleted your post of saying you can't always follow the best insurance to not be stranded, ie: Never wheel alone. This says you are not going to listen to any or all of the best replies. Even if you don't have someone to wheel with, If you wait around long enough(best to get down there early) wait around till you see some folks heading out from the outpost and simply ask if they mind if you ride with them. I'd say not very often that you will be turned down. Also, don't be "that guy" in other words, always be prepared, but up to date on maintenance, and be prepared, as in a full tank of fuel, all fluids topped off, have recovery gear, Some spares depending on what you have That's a good question to ask on this board. Put together a tool kit, that suits your vehicle. A tire plug kit, a small, cheap even, air pump, A jump box is never a bad idea, Spare fluids, Radiator repare items such as JB Quick weld, and some hose repair items. I like the plastic and have even seen some pieces of metal conduit to repair a hose blowout, Some electrical repair, fuses, Amp meter, Some spare parts such as take off's from doing maintenance such as hoses, belts, Carry some thread locker, some blue and gray RTV, Spare U-joints. It might be, someone you wheel with may need some of what you have brought, in that case you become "that guy" who they would want to wheel with again. I have needed help, and I have given help, both ways has netted me MANY friends over the years. Best of luck!

You deleted your post of saying you can't always follow the best insurance to not be stranded, ie: Never wheel alone. This says you are not going to listen to any or all of the best replies. Even if you don't have someone to wheel with, If you wait around long enough(best to get down there early) wait around till you see some folks heading out from the outpost and simply ask if they mind if you ride with them. I'd say not very often that you will be turned down. Also, don't be "that guy" in other words, always be prepared, but up to date on maintenance, and be prepared, as in a full tank of fuel, all fluids topped off, have recovery gear, Some spares depending on what you have That's a good question to ask on this board. Put together a tool kit, that suits your vehicle. A tire plug kit, a small, cheap even, air pump, A jump box is never a bad idea, Spare fluids, Radiator repare items such as JB Quick weld, and some hose repair items. I like the plastic and have even seen some pieces of metal conduit to repair a hose blowout, Some electrical repair, fuses, Amp meter, Some spare parts such as take off's from doing maintenance such as hoses, belts, Carry some thread locker, some blue and gray RTV, Spare U-joints. It might be, someone you wheel with may need some of what you have brought, in that case you become "that guy" who they would want to wheel with again. I have needed help, and I have given help, both ways has netted me MANY friends over the years. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will make it more of a necessity to not wheel alone. I will also be buying a winch very soon.

In regard to your other tips: I do keep up to date on maintenance, keep a full tank of gas, have fluids topped off, recovery gear, a tool kit, tire plug kit, air compressor, spare tire, jumper cables & jump box, etc. I will try to keep more spare parts handy as well.

My question was more about who to call if im in the worst possible situation where all of my preparations will not help the situation. Sounds like there is no one to call. I know that the forest service will not tow vehicles from Uwharrie, so I was just wondering if there was anyone at all that would.

Thanks

Google the area for off road recovery, I am sure with the traffic that URE see's there has to be a tow company that would do a recovery. Or like many here have done in the past, put a post up here and simply ask for some help. Many have done it in the past. Oh and you never know how long it will take, so, make sure to have some foods for extended wait time, It always feels longer if you are hungry, Be weather prepared too, it can be t-shirt weather when you head out, but depending on when, it can turn cold on you. Rain gear is always a good idea too. as is Flashlights and spare batteries. Oh and if you have signal, always keep a way to keep your phone charged.

Google the area for off road recovery, I am sure with the traffic that URE see's there has to be a tow company that would do a recovery. Or like many here have done in the past, put a post up here and simply ask for some help. Many have done it in the past. Oh and you never know how long it will take, so, make sure to have some foods for extended wait time, It always feels longer if you are hungry, Be weather prepared too, it can be t-shirt weather when you head out, but depending on when, it can turn cold on you. Rain gear is always a good idea too. as is Flashlights and spare batteries. Oh and if you have signal, always keep a way to keep your phone charged.
Yeah I couldn't find any company that explicitly stated that they would recover from Uwharrie, but I'll call around and find out. I will also try posting here if I ever fall into that unfortunate situation.

Yes, I always bring extra food and water for this kind of situation, extra clothes for varying weather, a tarp, rain gear (ponchos), etc. For lighting, i have a head lamp, work light, and flash light. I keep multiple cell phone bricks for extra cell charge.

Im probably being annoying but I just like to have multiple back-up plans in the case that the first 3 or 4 plans fail.

Ill just aim to go with someone every time instead of hoping to be helped when I absolutely need help. Thanks

Yeah I couldn't find any company that explicitly stated that they would recover from Uwharrie, but I'll call around and find out. I will also try posting here if I ever fall into that unfortunate situation.

Yes, I always bring extra food and water for this kind of situation, extra clothes for varying weather, a tarp, rain gear (ponchos), etc. For lighting, i have a head lamp, work light, and flash light. I keep multiple cell phone bricks for extra cell charge.

Im probably being annoying but I just like to have multiple back-up plans in the case that the first 3 or 4 plans fail.

Ill just aim to go with someone every time instead of hoping to be helped when I absolutely need help. Thanks
Very often we get someone new, you carries absolutely nothing. You on the other hand seem to already be above the norm and are pretty prepared. That's a good thing. And on on a different note, when you ride with folks that you'd like to maybe ride with again, exchange phone numbers. Find out from conversation how often they come down there to wheel, ask to be included on another ride. I have said it a gazillion times (Hmm interesting, gazillion didn't pop up as a misspelled word!) Some of the best friends can be made while wheeling!

OH and BTW, not being annoying, Not often I find someone up at this hour to have some banter with, I don't often go to URE, but wish you the best! If we were closer I'd offer some shop time for any of your DIY jobs you'd like to do. Oh and forgot to mention, if you'd like to go more often and to more places, I'd also recommend joining a club, At the top of my llst would be CTB Carolina trail blazers. And excellent group who'd NEVER leave you behind, and always be willing to jump in and help.

Thanks for the advice Upnover. None of my current friends wheel and it gets harder for me to want to befriend new people as I get older, grumpier, and more introvert. My wife also suffers from EOG (early onset grumpiness), so it's hard for us to find new people that we find tolerable.

Our introversion is one of the reasons we've stayed away from clubs, but Im finding it harder to keep to ourselves if we're gonna keep living the 4x4 lifestyle. A winch, recovery gear, and all the parts in the world will never be as valuable of a resource as people. Ill consider joining a club for sure, as I definitely want to do more wheeling and in more places.

Here's to hoping that we do find some of the great friends you speak of.

It's just URE it's not Moab. If it is a weekend, there will be tons of folks more than willing to hook a strap to you and drag you to a dirt road. From the dirt road its just a basic hook and go. Sounds like you have it pretty much covered otherwise, I have ruptured multiple fuel tanks before so I also carry 4 gallons of fuel with me. As a side note, have an app or a map and be familiar with the area so you know the closest route to an actual rd. We had a rig lose a knuckle up there one time, guy knew the trails very well. It was a short drag out to a rd and then we just ran to the Outpost and grabbed a truck and trailer (we haul our junk at least to there usually). Find some like minded folks and have a blast!!!

Interested in what you wheel. There are some good people in different groups. Most people I have run into out there are quick to help if its needed. There use to be a group up that way called OVERT I think. IDK if they still do the recovery though. Maybe someone with a better memory than me will remember.

It's just URE it's not Moab

This

It's as simple as posting that you're going down a few days in advance. Many folks on here LOOK for an excuse to "get out and just scratch on something" and many love to show people around. NC4x4 has been around for a very long time. I've met DOZENS of people as a direct result of this forum. And I've seen posts where people are going down on such and such days and simply asked to hang out with them. Never been turned down (well...not until they MEET me..then it's a different story :smokin:)

I WILL say your choice of vehicle does sort of lend itself to spontaneously bursting into flames at URE (done seent it a couple of times now) so I'd be more concerned with fire suppression than recovery :laughing::huggy:

April 21-24 SFWDA trail fest happens and Carolina TrailBlazers will be down there. Check out that sub-forum for more info. And don't be afraid to ask to tag along. TON'S of experienced wheelers MORE than willing to have you hang with them.

PS..any good club or group of homies would NEVER leave anyone behind. ESPECIALLY if they're a newbie and uncertain of things. The offroad community may have a few turds just like any group of folks..but for the most part, no one here on NC4x4 would leave someone stranded.

There is a group of volunteers for vehicle recovery in URE. They are on. Fakebook. OVERT.
All of the previous advice however is the best advice.
Screenshot_20220315-123130.png

Thanks for the advice Upnover. None of my current friends wheel and it gets harder for me to want to befriend new people as I get older, grumpier, and more introvert. My wife also suffers from EOG (early onset grumpiness), so it's hard for us to find new people that we find tolerable.

Our introversion is one of the reasons we've stayed away from clubs, but Im finding it harder to keep to ourselves if we're gonna keep living the 4x4 lifestyle. A winch, recovery gear, and all the parts in the world will never be as valuable of a resource as people. Ill consider joining a club for sure, as I definitely want to do more wheeling and in more places.

Here's to hoping that we do find some of the great friends you speak of.
Older as in? I ask because I will soon be 60. The years aren't so bad as the miles! I too find some folks intolerable, but then again, some folks probably just tolerate me! The older I get, the grumpier I get, just part of my charm LOL There's not a single person I have wheeled with that doesn't have something that I don't like. But, I choose to NOT dwell on that part, but rather loo at all I do like about them, that pretty much is how you make friends, and not just in the wheeling world.

I am curious too, as was already asked, what do you wheel?

1647363954127.png

I've helped quite a few people I didn't know get their broken rigs off the trail. All it takes is being friendly and having the right attitude.

It's just URE it's not Moab. If it is a weekend, there will be tons of folks more than willing to hook a strap to you and drag you to a dirt road. From the dirt road its just a basic hook and go. Sounds like you have it pretty much covered otherwise, I have ruptured multiple fuel tanks before so I also carry 4 gallons of fuel with me. As a side note, have an app or a map and be familiar with the area so you know the closest route to an actual rd. We had a rig lose a knuckle up there one time, guy knew the trails very well. It was a short drag out to a rd and then we just ran to the Outpost and grabbed a truck and trailer (we haul our junk at least to there usually). Find some like minded folks and have a blast!!!
Yeah that's the type of drag I'm looking for. Thanks for the reassurance. In terms of apps, I was thinking about OnX and Gaia. Not sure which one yet. Just been going with paper maps the times I previously went.

Also considering a fuel tank guard for the reason you just mentioned. Might come in handy one day

Interested in what you wheel. There are some good people in different groups. Most people I have run into out there are quick to help if its needed. There use to be a group up that way called OVERT I think. IDK if they still do the recovery though. Maybe someone with a better memory than me will remember.
Thanks. I drive a modified 03 Land Rover Discovery II. I've heard of CROC but haven't interacted with any of em

This

It's as simple as posting that you're going down a few days in advance. Many folks on here LOOK for an excuse to "get out and just scratch on something" and many love to show people around. NC4x4 has been around for a very long time. I've met DOZENS of people as a direct result of this forum. And I've seen posts where people are going down on such and such days and simply asked to hang out with them. Never been turned down (well...not until they MEET me..then it's a different story :smokin:)

I WILL say your choice of vehicle does sort of lend itself to spontaneously bursting into flames at URE (done seent it a couple of times now) so I'd be more concerned with fire suppression than recovery :laughing::huggy:

April 21-24 SFWDA trail fest happens and Carolina TrailBlazers will be down there. Check out that sub-forum for more info. And don't be afraid to ask to tag along. TON'S of experienced wheelers MORE than willing to have you hang with them.

PS..any good club or group of homies would NEVER leave anyone behind. ESPECIALLY if they're a newbie and uncertain of things. The offroad community may have a few turds just like any group of folks..but for the most part, no one here on NC4x4 would leave someone stranded.
I thought that carrying a fire extinguisher might be overkill, but I'll be sure to add it to my immediate to-buy list

Maplets has the URE map on it by the way. Thanks @drkelly now we know it's a land rover Disco. I've seen a rover weekend out there a few times over the years. Like said just ask most will be glad to help. Find a group to go with.

Older as in? I ask because I will soon be 60. The years aren't so bad as the miles! I too find some folks intolerable, but then again, some folks probably just tolerate me! The older I get, the grumpier I get, just part of my charm LOL There's not a single person I have wheeled with that doesn't have something that I don't like. But, I choose to NOT dwell on that part, but rather loo at all I do like about them, that pretty much is how you make friends, and not just in the wheeling world.

I am curious too, as was already asked, what do you wheel?
Yeah I have no problem making friends. The problem is wanting to keep them around. They love being around me and my wife, it just doesn't often work the other way around. My wife is my best friend at this stage in life, and she loves wheeling with me. Maybe I'll just buy a second off-road vehicle so that we can both wheel our own truck and be each other's savior.

Maplets has the URE map on it by the way. Thanks @drkelly now we know it's a land rover Disco. I've seen a rover weekend out there a few times over the years. Like said just ask most will be glad to help. Find a group to go with.
Thanks, will check out Maplets. I was only considering OnX and Gaia up until now.

Yeah I know CROC has some yearly events. Will try to make it to one of em.

A stock Rubicon can get you off any trial at uwharrie. Just wait till one comes by and ask to get a tow to the road. What kind of 4wd will you be out there with?
For now just a modified Land Rover Discovery II. Thinking of eventually purchasing a second off-roader though.

Hopefully I wont ever need the help, but it's reassuring to know that the 4x4 community is so willing to help.

Back