[May 4, 2013] Max Patch Work Day (madison county, nc)

McCracken

Logan Can't See This
I have spoken with the trail crew who is leading the rehab work on Max Patch caused by the vandalism lately. They propose the date of May 4th. I need to know who can make it so I can give them a close head count. They will be bringing tools for us to use so it's important that we know.

As I've said before we need to make a statement with this project. We need to pull together enough people to show that this isn't something we accept in our community. Dwayne and his people have been very receptive to us and look forward to our help. I do not want to let them down. I know that the Ranger stated that she was looking forward to meeting us and that's a relationship we need to foster.

Lastly, we need to create a press release and take pictures that we can share with the media. I'll help get the ball rolling on this once the project is complete. Thanks for everyone's help.

That's a little far off fo rme to know for sure. If I don't have to work or I'm not recovering from hip surgery I will be there with lil man.

Start and end times may not be exact, but man power is needed and a good head count will help ensure enough tools and a good plan for the work day!

I merged the poll thread with the event thread, it will show up on the calendar that way. ;)

Thanks, Nick, for keeping this going!

hey guys im try to make it out there but i borke my jeep today went to deep in water at the flats now it has a stutter if any of yall have any ideas that would be cool

I'll be there

Sent from the Delta Quadrant

Are we going to meet up ahead of time and ride up together or car pool? I'd be interested in saving some gas....also question about the times.

excellent! I hope there are some more out there that have read this and plan on going as well.

Also, if you do show up bring your camera!! We need pictures from all angles of the work being done up there. It wouldn't hurt to sport your club colors too. If you have a club t-shirt I'd wear it just to let people know there's lots of interest from our entire community.

Will do

Just to make sure everyone knows we will be meeting in the parking lot of Max Patch at 9:30am. Dwayne has requested that we carpool up there so there is plenty of room to manuever the trailers around. Thanks everyone!

Just a heads up the Forest Service is putting out a press release about this clean-up. This is what I was referring to about building relationships with these individuals and groups. The more that show the bigger the impression it will make. Please make an effort to show up and participate. I personally will appreciate your effort and I know they will as well.

Everyone is meeting that morning at the truck stop aka Dean's Cafe off of exit 24 at 7:30am. There are two truck stops. One is the Pilot, the other is the Shell. If you're coming from the east, take exit 24 and then turn left off of the exit. The truck stop is about 1/4 mi on the left.​

Awesome. See ya there.

Hey guys- I'm gonna try to make it up, I think my u-joints are about to give out...I'm having someone look at them in an hour or so but the jeeps my only ride and i might have it down all weekend. I'll try my hardest to be there.

NEWS:

Dwayne just left me a message saying he's concerned about the thunderstorms in the morning. He's going to get up at 6am and check the weather. I apologize for this but I have no control over this but I want to thank everyone that has committed thus far. I'll update this thread and the other in the morning as soon as I hear something and let you know if this is still a go. Should be around 6am.

edit: if you want, PM your number and I'll shoot a mass text in the AM.

Everyone,

I am beyond pleased with how this went. I just got an email from Dwayne Stutzman with Carolina Mountain Club and I wanted to share it:

Mr. McCracken,

It was a great day on the mountain. Wish you could have been there - 39 degrees, sleet and high winds. HA!

But seriously, it was a good day. Your group comported themselves in a courteous and extremely friendly manner; and the Carolina Mountain Club members (most who are between the ages of 65 to 85) were impressed with their willingness to get down and dig in the dirt and work hard; which we did - we hand dug approx. 375 feet of new sidehill trail, dug the holes and planted 16 5' rhododendrons and took the sod from the sidehill trail and replanted it in approx. 150' of ruts from the errant youth 4WDer's episode. All in all a very good day.

I got a number of pictures, even with the dense fog, but it was so cold at the last that I neglected to get the names of all your folks. If you can get that info to me, I would appreciate it greatly, as we make reports of all the work we do on the Appalachian Trail and we include the names of all who worked with us. And I will send you a pic of the group and some other other shots.

Again, thank you for your assistance in this work. I believe the CMC folks have a new appreciation of your crowd, and your willingness to "give back" to the beautiful natural world we enjoy here is WNC.

Back