Mac's YJ build with tons and 42's.

Why not swap to COM10 rod ends instead ?
Cost and my application.

It costs me relatively nothing to draw and cut this stuff out.

Meaning they fit in the scrap areas of sheets I have.

Changing out the lower eyes on the front lowers only is $450.

Ideally this would all be 2.5+ diameter stuff but overkill for my application and usage, and this would be a non issue.

All of my parts were purchased as deals way less than retail, some stuff used.

I don’t like the idea of $450 solution compared to a $2.45 solution, for what the problem is.

IMG_5159.jpeg
IMG_5160.jpeg

When I’m assembling stuff like this, I use spacers that are .010” -.015” bigger than the final product installed.

This gives me enough room that parts install easily and you don’t fight paint/powder after the fact and the bolt can actually clamp down.

Some heims and cartridge joints that are advertised as 2.63” or 2.625” are made to 2.62” width, some are 2.635” some are 2.64.

The black mark on the aluminum spacers denotes the wide side (+ .003-.005) which is about all I can get out of my HF band saw squareness. This means I always put the long side towards the bracket opening.

I use a bolt to align all the tabs, and the spacer to keep everything held square and the correct width.

IMG_5680.jpeg

IMG_5681.jpeg

IMG_5682.jpeg
IMG_5683.jpeg
IMG_5684.jpeg
IMG_5685.jpeg
The same nuts I welded to the inside of the bottom plate ( for attaching the skid plate),
I use to help hold the assembly together.

The design itself is a pita to get all the pieces in the slots at once, but not terrible. But the alignment of the different tabs at different angles holds everything square-ish and straight-ish.

The aluminum .250” wall spacers are still in there holding the main reason for the crossmember square, straight, and parallel.

Fwiw, I use .250” wide slots for .188” material and .062” end clearances. This gives me enough room to adjust everything to where I want it, but not so tight that assembly sucks. ( cleaning slots and tabs with a file for corner interference clearances)

Back