M101a1 trailer resurrection and rebuild.

Picked up the rims from the blaster today. Need to weld up a hole on one. Other than that they look decent to me. Also found some 285/75 R 16 tires I’ll try out.
IMG_5989.jpeg
IMG_5990.jpeg
IMG_5992.jpeg
IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_5994.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5996.jpeg
    IMG_5996.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5997.jpeg
    IMG_5997.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
My olive drab came in. Threw some paint on the tail light brackets and one rim to see how it looks. I will definitely repaint at some point later with this. I’ll weld up the hole this weekend while I’m fixing my Jeep for the Veteran’s Day ride.
IMG_5999.jpeg

Hopefully mounting tires and tubes Sunday.
IMG_6031.jpeg

So I got my flaps in and started looking at mounting my tires. Then I realized the rust hole originated from the valve stem hole. Ops!
IMG_6075.jpeg
IMG_6076.jpeg
IMG_6080.jpeg

Man, reading through this makes me feel much better about "overpaying" for the M101A2 I picked up last weekend. I admire the work effort and the originality!

This one has an electric brake 3500lb axle (dexter I think) with 6x5.5 wheels that match my other trailers and chevys. I haven't tried to see if I can make it dump with locking down the electric brakes.

Attachments

• 20231112_141628.jpg
    20231112_141628.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 37
Man, reading through this makes me feel much better about "overpaying" for the M101A2 I picked up last weekend. I admire the work effort and the originality!

This one has an electric brake 3500lb axle (dexter I think) with 6x5.5 wheels that match my other trailers and chevys. I haven't tried to see if I can make it dump with locking down the electric brakes.
The front tongue isn’t technically made to do it but it can. I’ve read they designed the tongue to drop down so they can get them tighter in shipping. As for overpaying. Idk they are getting harder to find. Most I se for sale are in the $2k and up range.

Tire two.

Inserted tube and aired it up to fill the tire.

IMG_6083.jpeg

Inserted the flap.

IMG_6084.jpeg

Put tire on the rim.

IMG_6085.jpeg

Position the lock ring.

IMG_6087.jpeg

Hammered the lock ring in. Then you hammer around the ring until it fully seats.

IMG_6088.jpeg

Chain it up so if the ring lets go it does not hurt or kill you.

IMG_6090.jpeg

I then aired up to 3 psi. Hammered the ring in to seat better. Then aired up to 30 PSI in 5 PSI increments hammering the ring inward between each. Time to mount some tires and pull her down the road for a test.

Last edited:
Tire two.

Inserted tube and aired it up to fill the tire.

View attachment 407510

Inserted the flap.

View attachment 407511

Put tire on the rim.

View attachment 407512

Position the lock ring.

View attachment 407513

Hammered the lock ring in. Then you hammer around the ring until it fully seats.

View attachment 407514

Chain it up so if the ring lets go it does not hurt or kill you.

View attachment 407518

I then aired up to 3 psi. Hammered the ring in to seat better. Then aired up to 30 PSI in 5 PSI increments hammering the ring inward between each. Time to mount some tires and pull her down the road for a test.
You’re braver than I am! A farm shop I worked in had a ring stuck in the ceiling from years before I was probably born. That’s a big nope for me.

You’re braver than I am! A farm shop I worked in had a ring stuck in the ceiling from years before I was probably born. That’s a big nope for me.
I aired them up with a 5' air chuck on my hand valve. Tire was outside my shop I had the hose through the door. So there was a door between me and the rim airing up.

Mounted the tires and hooked the trailer up and pulled it down the road to the neighbors house. Even with the smaller tires she still nose dives. Will need a raised pintle for the truck. Thinking about flipping the pintle on the trailer too.

IMG_6092.jpeg

Last edited:
Back