Full size direction

What is yalls opinion on frame boxing. Any experience? Ive read a little about cages helping tremendously and what not, and that X members can help, but that they don't last. So im looking at possibly boxing the frame up a little bit. Probably under the cab to around half way under the bed. ill probably to a 2x4 crossmember in the rear of the frame for some support and another up front and solid box the front frame stubs for support when pulling. Ive seen that this body truck elegidly have the worst reputation for frame flex. I have also witnessed it pretty bad when testing just to see if it would give me any flex. Needless to say. It was a little embarrassing.

It's a lot of work but your body panels will thank you. I'm planning on doing it to my k5 but that's not top on the priority list.

Nor is it on mine. But I do a lo of planning before I start executing. Ive got to be careful because the direction some of my searches are taking me are making me want to turn this thing into a buggy :p

First thing to go on my 84 suburban was the radiator support. It can't keep up with the frame flex. I tried a new support. I tried reinforcing and x bracing with plates and 1/2 steel rods. It's in the shop now getting an angle iron frame radiator support with a single center mount to allow more movement. Also adding a cage tied to frame that should limit flex. I really like your truck. Good luck wih it

What would you guys do with this truck. Given its shape. I mean the beds pretty straight. minus the wood needing replaced in the bed the fenders are good. The tail light buckets have to be re welded but the beds good. The bodys good. The hood needs replaced and the grille/headlight trim needs replacing. But I mean. I don't plan to do a full restoration of this thing, but I hate to cut it all up and make a crazy buggy. However if I ever take it offroad I would hate to crush up the stepsides on this thing. Gimme some thoughts. Im planning custom bumpers, thinking about doing a bed mounted roll bar that goes through the bed and cross braces into the frame..

What would you guys do with this truck. Given its shape. I mean the beds pretty straight. minus the wood needing replaced in the bed the fenders are good. The tail light buckets have to be re welded but the beds good. The bodys good. The hood needs replaced and the grille/headlight trim needs replacing. But I mean. I don't plan to do a full restoration of this thing, but I hate to cut it all up and make a crazy buggy. However if I ever take it offroad I would hate to crush up the stepsides on this thing. Gimme some thoughts. Im planning custom bumpers, thinking about doing a bed mounted roll bar that goes through the bed and cross braces into the frame..

How are the rockers and the cab corners?

They are in good shape. Only rust is on the back side of the front inner fenders. theres an almost softball size spot on each side.

They are in good shape. Only rust is on the back side of the front inner fenders. theres an almost softball size spot on each side.
You trim a lot of that if you lower it down a good bit lol

Hahaha i just hate for the bed to go to waste. Only offroad p park i know if here is uwharrie. I want to crawl the truck but i dread damaging it lol. I know it goes have in hand but these stepsides look good when hooked up right.

Body damage would result from your choice of trails. There is a lot stuff you can do without damage. Worst would be some scratches or minor dent. The challenge is resisting the typical escalation of abilities of your driving skills and the capability of truck. There is no shame in not attempting a difficult trail or obstacle. It's your truck , build it like you want ( with plenty of good advice from this site) go play and enjoy it.

Well said moldman. Ive got several ieas floating around. Transfer case skids. I wanna look at clocking the case aswell. Do some boxing and x bracing. Ivve got to redo the exhaust. Its 4" from header to muffler then cut off. And the interior needs the most attention. But im still workin out bugs. Probably going to upgrade to rear disk breaks eventually. The rear leaks from time to time. Blah blah blah all that jazz. Its just harder to find ideas for stepsides then fleetsides.

If you really want to wheel offroad, get or build a 'beater' truck. Wheeling something you are trying to keep nice sucks.

I was meaning a flat bed with tube rails but I have always liked a doved full size rig
That would be sweet. Ive gotten a few flatbed ideas but everyone talks me out of ditching the stepside.

I have a 2wd 71 longbed... maybe i could swap beds. Shorten the long frame and either shorten the 71 or like mentioned build a flatbed.. idk but buying another vehicle isnt all so viable. I have a 3 month old son and 1 vehicle that needs the engine assembled. So needless to say this will all be slow going lol.

Planning on swapping the water pump This week and hopefully fixing a power steering leak. Then next Chance i get im taking the old girl to the car wash to wash off that power steering fluid you see in the pitman arm and maybe some of the caked old mud from the PO. I'm still searching for some wheels/tires. If you guys know anyone selling some 17" wheels or something in that area.

Back